Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My top speed.

The only practical way to get a meaningful top speed (other than a completely windless day) is to do two runs, in opposite directions and take the average of the two speeds. I once recorded 84 mph in one direction and just 42 in the opposite direction. An average speed of 63mph.

However, even this result is misleading as it is the product of the peak speed in both directions and will therefore add any wind speed variation during each run to the resulting average speed. Thus, if the wind speed had changed by just 5mph during each run, then the average mph could be up to 10mph lower than the average of the peak speed measured in each direction.

I guess you could do two timed runs in opposite directions over a measured distance but this would be quite difficult to do with any accuracy.
I need a moment to wrap my head around that.

The only practical way to get a meaningful top speed (other than a completely windless day) is to do two runs, in opposite directions and take the average of the two speeds. I once recorded 84 mph in one direction and just 42 in the opposite direction. An average speed of 63mph.

However, even this result is misleading as it is the product of the peak speed in both directions and will therefore add any wind speed variation during each run to the resulting average speed. Thus, if the wind speed had changed by just 5mph during each run, then the average mph could be up to 10mph lower than the average of the peak speed measured in each direction.

I guess you could do two timed runs in opposite directions over a measured distance but this would be quite difficult to do with any accuracy.
I'd say "interesting" but you might take it the wrong way. ;)

84 in the UK? No way!
Don't tell Mark...

Reactions: The Editor

Air density and thermals in the air will play a little role in the speed also. Only real true way to get accurate speed is in an enclosed area that isn’t affected by the elements.

I'd say "interesting" but you might take it the wrong way. ;)

84 in the UK? No way!
Don't tell Mark...

Only 84mph because the prevailing wind was probably helping it along by a good 25mph....

Not the sort of thing to try unless you are in a large, open, unpopulated area. I was at a local UK race track at the time filming for a US TV programme that wanted tracking shots of the cars along the main straight. It didn’t help much as the cars were hitting topping 135mph by the end of the straight! Great fun all the same [emoji3]

Reactions: slim.slamma
Only 84mph because the prevailing wind was probably helping it along by a good 25mph....

Not the sort of thing to try unless you are in a large, open, unpopulated area. I was at a local UK race track at the time filming for a US TV programme that wanted tracking shots of the cars along the main straight. It didn’t help much as the cars were hitting topping 135mph by the end of the straight! Great fun all the same [emoji3]
If they want you to keep up tell them to buy you a helicopter. Lol.

How is speed calculated in the AC, unless speed is gathered from the GPS data I wonder how accurate it is, reminds me of my days with personal watercraft, where speed is gathered by a little wheel that turns with the flow of water and some riders swore they were doing 90mph, because the speedo said so, yet anther the gun they were doing 50-55 LOL. Even those of us with GPS units were having errors introduces just by the nature of porpoising which completely screwed up the reading.Get a radar gun, then get accurate speeds.

Nice. I have those CF Xoar props on my bird, and it hit 68.4 mph on my fastest flight with a slight wind.. actually the top speed is one of my favorite things about the Inspire, and the Xoar props sure help out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizamartin8033