Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

N2000 (Natura 2000) question

Reaction score
Website
www.oyibo-vfx.com
Hey all

This is more a question for the European pilots
As I was flying last week around a forest for a (four seasons) video with my Inspire 2 and Mavic Pro, I was informed by one of the supervisors (like a park ranger but with a chainsaw instead of a gun) that this forest was an N2000 area and therefor prohibited for drone flights (although it is beside a highway and approach to Brussels Airport) due to noise restrictions.
Now I do understand that parks like to be "quiet zones" but when I started to look a little more in the subject, it became very complicated.
Due to the fact that N2000 is a EU initiative, it applies for the entire European Union.
I know that in Holland, there are a number of court cases and all where won by the drone pilots.
The down side is that if there is an area with more then 4 trees, it is declared a Natural 2000 area.
As I will depart next week to my new African project (Rwanda which is 1000 times more interesting then Nigeria), I have some more time to study.

So, is there a pilot that has a more clear view of this legislation? Because it really limits the flying / filming opportunities.

Noise - Environment - European Commission

ArcGIS Web Application

Hey all

As I was flying last week around a forest for a (four seasons) video with my Inspire 2 and Mavic Pro, I was informed by one of the supervisors (like a park ranger but with a chainsaw instead of a gun) that this forest was an N2000 area and therefor prohibited for drone flights (although it is beside a highway and approach to Brussels Airport) due to noise restrictions.
Now I do understand that parks like to be "quiet zones" but when I started to look a little more in the subject, it became very complicated.
Due to the fact that N2000 is a EU initiative, it applies for the entire European Union.
I know that in Holland, there are a number of court cases and all where won by the drone pilots.
The down side is that if there is an area with more then 4 trees, it is declared a Natural 2000 area.
As I will depart next week to my new African project (Rwanda which is 1000 times more interesting then Nigeria), I have some more time to study.

So, is there a pilot that has a more clear view of this legislation? Because it really limits the flying / filming opportunities.

ArcGIS Web Application
My understanding of N2000 is it is there for the protection of rare Breeds/Species. However since it is nearly always in place on privately owned land you would have needed the landowners permission to land/take off from the area in question.
Presumably when permission was sought, the answer would have thrown up the issue of N2000 protection?

Hey all

ArcGIS Web Application
Well the law says to stay in order not to scare and disturb the birds but if you fly with the blessing of the responsible authorities, then the authorities see it as an opportunity for the birds to wake up and fly a little bit.
:)

...one of the supervisors (like a park ranger but with a chainsaw...

Bit ironic he mentions noise then isn't it? His chainsaw would win out for noise pollution any day, and he'd be using it for longer than you'd be flying too!

I think someone is probably pulling a fast one to get you to go away. Simply spout enough authoritative sounding numbers and directives and most people wilt and give in.

Done some more reading. It's not that simple and authorities use it as an excuse to stop us from flying. Will go deeper in this because it is extremely subjective.

You need to go to the Arcgis site you linked above, find the site you where flying at and then see what species it specifically lists.

You may find there are only plants listed. If there are animals, most will not even notice a drone 100 feet above and will totally ignore it. Birds, likewise. The only time they're likely concerned with a drone is when they're breeding and holding a territory... which isn't now. The species may not even be present at the site yet.

Despite what a lot of people would like to think, drone use is a very low impact pursuit. Noise isn't that great, and your presence at a site isn't likely to be for long, nor in 'high density'.

Yes, I do fly around animals quite a bit. Most don't give a stuff about the drone. Only one bird has ever shown an interest, it got bored and flew off after a moment or two to look for a dead rabbit for tea!

Last edited:
Thanks. I know this. The problem is that most animals and plants don't care. It's the owners / supervisors that care.
And believe me, they're usually not very open minded. Even if we can legally fly

This matter has been discussed in the Danish Drone community and the conclusion is that we are allowed to fly in N2000 areas but of course must fly with due consideration and also permission from the landowner.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
The local authorities (DGLV , BeUAS) should provide a decent answer... but that might take a few seasons...
Maybe try through the local Tourist board that's responsible for the location... that's the way i did it a few years ago.
INBO and/or Natuurpunt weren't very cooperative at that time.
Good luck.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Nature boys are nature boys.
They always say NO
If there is a legal ground or not
I'm a member of BeAUS and was already thinking of contacting them.
Let them do something for my contribution

While your at it , contact the iDronect guys ( but i heard they're quitting) or Unifly , they should have an answer.
I was part of a BeUAS-workgroup on Nature and Agro...still waiting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineL