Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need to reset crashed inspire2

Reaction score
Anyone know how to reset a crashed inspire2 main controller? It had a light crash and now the Main Flight controller / Cinecore won't power on.
I've heard that some crashes trigger a protection circuit which prevents power-up. (DJI does the same to it's batteries to brick them by setting the PF flag)
And I figure that someone out there has some master DJI software to deal with this...

Anyway, as an aside, I pulled it all apart to see how it al worked, and plugged the flight controller part direct to a USB and it successfully launches in the Latest Assistant app. Looks pretty interesting and shows it as an A3 or A3Pro controller. I guess I'm plugging into the RAW controller as it shows up all sorts of other bits and pieces that are normally only seen on the original A3 out of the box generic FCs.

Attaching some screen photos here for your viewing interest!!!
Some interface video here:

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8509.JPG
    IMG_8509.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8505.JPG
    IMG_8505.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8504.JPG
    IMG_8504.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: hhung516
Anyone know how to reset a crashed inspire2 main controller? It had a light crash and now the Main Flight controller / Cinecore won't power on.
I've heard that some crashes trigger a protection circuit which prevents power-up. (DJI does the same to it's batteries to brick them by setting the PF flag)
And I figure that someone out there has some master DJI software to deal with this...

Anyway, as an aside, I pulled it all apart to see how it al worked, and plugged the flight controller part direct to a USB and it successfully launches in the Latest Assistant app. Looks pretty interesting and shows it as an A3 or A3Pro controller. I guess I'm plugging into the RAW controller as it shows up all sorts of other bits and pieces that are normally only seen on the original A3 out of the box generic FCs.

Cheers
Full disclosure I’ve never had to deal with this situation but I know some general information about the inner workings of the flight controller software that may be relevant to this situation.

If it will let you reflash the firmware from assistant 2 I would try that and see if that does anything. It seems to be complaining about the IMU and compass so if those are still bad the firmware update may not complete.

As far as I can tell what you are seeing in Assistant 2 is what I would expect for an Inspire 2. The actual debug menu of Assistant 2 menu looks quite different. Debug mode is what is really the raw flight controller interface.

To get to the actual debug mode the easiest way is to download the Drone-Hacks software. You don’t have to pay anything to use the debug mode, it’s called “parameter hacks” in the Drone-Hacks software but basically the developer just took the debug software out of Assistant 2 and incorporated it into his tool. There is a way to get the same menu inside of the actual Assistant 2 software but this is much easier as you don’t have to go into the code to activate it.

In the parameter hacks tab of the Drone-Hacks software go to the advanced parameters and use the search bar to look for the key words “failsafe” or try just “fail” and see what comes up. If there’s something like failsafe mode and it’s set to 1 try setting it to 0 or 2 instead. If multiple items come up and you aren’t sure which one it is just screenshot it and post it here and I can tell you which one to try.

Don’t know if that will do it or not but certainly can’t make it worse.

Last edited:
Full disclosure I’ve never had to deal with this situation but I know some general information about the inner workings of the flight controller software that may be relevant to this situation.

If it will let you reflash the firmware from assistant 2 I would try that and see if that does anything. It seems to be complaining about the IMU and compass so if those are still bad the firmware update may not complete.

As far as I can tell what you are seeing in Assistant 2 is what I would expect for an Inspire 2. The actual debug menu of Assistant 2 menu looks quite different. Debug mode is what is really the raw flight controller interface.

To get to the actual debug mode the easiest way is to download the Drone-Hacks software. You don’t have to pay anything to use the debug mode, it’s called “parameter hacks” in the Drone-Hacks software but basically the developer just took the debug software out of Assistant 2 and incorporated it into his tool. There is a way to get the same menu inside of the actual Assistant 2 software but this is much easier as you don’t have to go into the code to activate it.

In the parameter hacks tab of the Drone-Hacks software go to the advanced parameters and use the search bar to look for the key words “failsafe” or try just “fail” and see what comes up. If there’s something like failsafe mode and it’s set to 1 try setting it to 0 or 2 instead. If multiple items come up and you aren’t sure which one it is just screenshot it and post it here and I can tell you which one to try.

Don’t know if that will do it or not but certainly can’t make it worse.
Thanks @Brett8883
That’s great info and I’ll certainly give it a go.
It looks to me like the flight controller works but the rest of the cinecore won’t power up.
If your hack doesnt work then next step is to Frankenstein one in from another broken inspire.
I’ll report back regardless.

Thanks @Brett8883
That’s great info and I’ll certainly give it a go.
It looks to me like the flight controller works but the rest of the cinecore won’t power up.
If your hack doesnt work then next step is to Frankenstein one in from another broken inspire.
I’ll report back regardless.
Oh I didn’t realize it the Cinecore wasn’t working. Flashing the firmware might help but the debug mode only deals with the flight controller

Cheers
When you state it powers up but cinecore won't power up or work?
Are you meaning the SSD is not reconized too?

I've had my 2 Inspire2 apart for various part replacements. I've had a few odd start up... ranging from non-complete power up to SSD card failures.

When re-spliting upper & lower sections... I've normally found a micro-connector not fully seated, including main unit, and gimbal ribbons. I'd suggest taking a close look at micro-connectors for pin damage, ribbon damage and correct seating into socket. It doesn't take much and it'll cause various failures depending on pins not fully seared or contacts.

Impacts can shift components that can slightly disconnect connections, or cause a wire or cable to cut or pinch.

Good Luck!

When you state it powers up but cinecore won't power up or work?
Are you meaning the SSD is not reconized too?

I've had my 2 Inspire2 apart for various part replacements. I've had a few odd start up... ranging from non-complete power up to SSD card failures.

When re-spliting upper & lower sections... I've normally found a micro-connector not fully seated, including main unit, and gimbal ribbons. I'd suggest taking a close look at micro-connectors for pin damage, ribbon damage and correct seating into socket. It doesn't take much and it'll cause various failures depending on pins not fully seared or contacts.

Impacts can shift components that can slightly disconnect connections, or cause a wire or cable to cut or pinch.

Good Luck!
Thanks, I have time to check it this week.
The Grey Box (main controller part 24)’usually has a led light on the right gut side near the USB-A port. That part dosnt light up.
But when I connect direct to the flight controller part (micro usb) which is the small pcb and IMU inside the left side under the cover, then that part works ok it seems.
I have seated and reseated all connections and next I’ll swap the seemingly dead main controller box into a working Inspire2 to narrow down where the issue is.
Luckily I enjoy these little investigations.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Thanks, I have time to check it this week.
The Grey Box (main controller part 24)’usually has a led light on the right gut side near the USB-A port. That part dosnt light up.
But when I connect direct to the flight controller part (micro usb) which is the small pcb and IMU inside the left side under the cover, then that part works ok it seems.
I have seated and reseated all connections and next I’ll swap the seemingly dead main controller box into a working Inspire2 to narrow down where the issue is.
Luckily I enjoy these little investigations.
That would help a lot if you have a 2nd I2 willing share it's lifeblood.
Sounds like you've covered all the possibles, and it is sounding more like the board.
Good luck on repair... and please share your findings & repair.

The I2 is a fun craft to take down... really shows the thought & design DJI put into the craft. The Upper & Lower sections, the routing of the wires & cables. It's definitely not a standard take down of removing boards inside a tub.

I had the Nose Belly Fan under the main controller get a bit noisy on cold starts... DJI sells this Fan within an assembly part. But the Fan itself if obtainable and looks like a quick swap. That entails removing main controller and several components due to routing of fan Elec wire and size of connector.

Another is replacing the "Battery Tray" assembly, that requires a substantial take down to replace.
Many don't enjoy these tasks, but I find them challenging and entertaining seeing how it was made to disassemble and rebuild... it wasn't designed to not repair, which is a talent with such small movable parts and electronics.

Good Luck and have fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74