Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New California Law

Thanks for posting this article. ..
doesn't look good for pilots in California. ..
it seems like we can blame the guys who had to fly near fires and aircraft for most of the proposed legislation and some of the lies about people spying and listening ..
That doesn't leave many places to fly if you can't fly over private property anymore..
I know County parks in fresno California don't allow rc aircraft. .I'm not sure about state parks,but federal parks are a no fly zone...
I'm amazed with flying fpv and I can see why people wouldn't want to have drones flying over their property. ..
things you never knew where there all of a sudden are in plain sight. ..
I've been flying along a river and along the way I was surprised to see high end ranches with huge houses that where tucked away along the shore ..I try and fly away from the structures so I don't piss them off..
Having drones fly above 350 feet will increase the likelihood of a mid air collision with aircraft. .
man..

Last edited:
This law provides for damages that would amount to less than a penny per second for a property that had a rental value of 3000/mo:
Quoted material below.
"Section 3334 provides that, for the determination of damages caused by the “wrongful occupation of real property” (other than cases of eminent domain and unlawful detainer), the detriment caused by the wrongful occupation of real property . . . is deemed to include the value of the use of the property for the time of that wrongful occupation.

(Section 3334(a).) The value of the use of property is the greater of the reasonable rental value of that property, or the benefits obtained by the person wrongfully occupying the property by reason of that wrongful occupation. (Section 3334 (b)(1).)"

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB142#

Log into to the California legislature link as shown in the previous post. I posted my comments.

"This bill appears to be a reaction to all the headlines that is out there on the hobby drones. From what I can see and I do have a "Drone" the news blows every drone story out of proportion. Make it a felony if someone is stupid enough to fly around forest fires etc. My drone is an inspire 1 and it has built in no fly zones so we cannot go into areas that we don't belong. It has no voice recording capabilities. California has made so many industries that have prospered here only to be legislated out of business and this will be an example of another. The only saving grace is we can still fly above 300 feet and for us experienced Drone pilots that is a comfort zone. For the armatures they will lose sight of their aircraft and in all likelihood crash. Once again unintended consequences of another law passed for a headline."

I am sure this will fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
The LA City Council voted to support SB 142 as well as several other UAS laws. See below for a summary of each.
http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2015/15-0002-S89_rpt_rein_8-21-15.pdf

We are losing ground (and air) fast. If SB 142 passes, it will be a major setback for the industry in the US. Don't be surprised if other states adopt similar measures.
What a bunch of malarkey. .....
Imo I think there's too many levels of government. .
the faa should have got off their asses and made up reasonable drone laws and then the states wouldn't feel like they had to make their own ...
There's already a lot no fly zones in California and It looks like more to come ..
gorilla flying boys..

We need to do a small video commercial of all the good flyers! Make it fun instead of the news jumping on it for anything bad.

Unfortunately this will not help us. What we need to do is.

#1 Contact your representative and let them know your thoughts into this matter.

#2 Educate the public.
a. I was at my son's School open-house and a parent noticed my Drone University USA shirt and asked about drone. It was good that she was willing to understand about drones and she came out with a different view from what people and the "evil" media has portrayed responsible operators are.

#3 Repeat both #1 and #2

Reactions: GizaDog
There are not enough of 'us' to combat an uninformed, publicity seeking legislature and a willfully ignorant public.

Reactions: JoeyJoe
I am surprised the Pilots Union or the FAA is not on the list that oppose it as it certainly could mean now we are forced to fly between 350-400' into their possible flight path. Especially for a single engine plane.

1602932.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what FAA says:

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Which governs the airspace over my property – FAA regulations or local/state laws about unmanned aircraft systems (UAS)?

Under 49 United States Code 40103, the United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States and the FAA has the authority to prescribe air traffic regulations on the flight of aircraft, including UAS. Whether Federal law preempts state or local requirements for UAS depends on the precise nature of those requirements. The Department of Transportation evaluates these laws or requirements on a case-by-case basis to make sure they don't conflict with FAA's authority to provide safe and efficient use of U.S. airspace.

Thanks but I know what the FAA says. I am stating about the inevitable event of a collision between a drone and a low-flying aircraft.

Granted SB-142 did not mention how will it be enforced except for local law enforcement handling the call. I say LAPD had more bigger issue to deal with than a drone flying over some property.

So there's a good chance the FAA will reject SB 142 on the grounds it is too restrictive on UAS operations. The point I made in my comment on SB 142 is regarding helicopters flying below the 400' ceiling and how we are expected to give-way. Doing so (dropping altitude) will likely force us to trespass.

I agree. I am sure the LAPD helicopter will be zipping around LA at 150-300'. It is all about when will it happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg