Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New FAA UAV Regulations (Let the screaming begin!)

Reaction score
Website
www.airnashville.net
News out today that actual airframes must be registered in the USA regardless of hobby or commercial intent:

Getting a Drone for the Holidays? You'll Have to Register It With the FAA

I've read what I can find but, it doesn't seem to discriminate between those airframes already in service or just newly acquired. At least the FAA website suggests that ALL UAV AIRFRAMES flown in the USA MUST BE INDIVIDUALLY REGISTERED...

Reactions: UASguy79
We have to register cars to drive on the road, why not drones that fly in airspace? As a commercial pilot that has to register his drones anyway I'm glad to see the program come back for recreational pilots as well.

Reactions: Ironwolfjt
News out today that actual airframes must be registered in the USA regardless of hobby or commercial intent:

Getting a Drone for the Holidays? You'll Have to Register It With the FAA

I've read what I can find but, it doesn't seem to discriminate between those airframes already in service or just newly acquired. At least the FAA website suggests that ALL UAV AIRFRAMES flown in the USA MUST BE INDIVIDUALLY REGISTERED...
Good. Only way for police to track the irresponsible hobbyists.

Reactions: Scoobywrx05
If it's not registered in the store at the time of purchase why would an irresponsible pilot register at a later time?
They won't.

Reactions: HRikson
So, the question I have that I'm not clear on and seemingly few are; if you registered when the system first became available can you simply apply your registration number to all your airframes like was the case (and a few talking heads say is still the case) or, do you have to go through the system and register each individual airframe?

Reactions: Mixchief
According to the FAA's website, you, the owner, gets a single number for all of your model aircraft. That same number must be applied to all of your aircraft. I didn't see anything regarding your previous registration.

Reactions: Mixchief
Not sure that I understand. I have 4 airframes. I have 1 FAA number that is afixed to each. That has alway been the law for FAA certified pilots. That is not the same as registering airframes. In other words, if I go out and buy 2 more drones (wow I just got excited :) and put my existing number on them, I have not registered anything. To me registering airframes means that you report to them a make, model and serial number. Is that anyone's understanding? If so I will gladly do it, it's just that I had hear no such thing.

So, the question I have that I'm not clear on and seemingly few are; if you registered when the system first became available can you simply apply your registration number to all your airframes like was the case (and a few talking heads say is still the case) or, do you have to go through the system and register each individual airframe?
My understanding is that you can use the registration for all airframes you own, which is kind of weird as it feels more like the pilot is the one being registered rather than the AC.

According to the FAA's website, you, the owner, gets a single number for all of your model aircraft. That same number must be applied to all of your aircraft. I didn't see anything regarding your previous registration.
that's exactly the way I read it

Wow. Thanks for this posting - I've just registered.

Anyone know what is required for this bit?

| You MUST mark any and all aircraft with your number before you operate them.

Like, do I just use a sharpie somewhere on the I2? I'd love to hide it behind where the batteries slide in so that it's not visible, but it's unclear if the number *must* be visible while in flight.

Will

as visible as an "N" number on an airplane, you can buy printed stickers just as you can get a plastic registration card

Reactions: WillT
My understanding is this: the main differentiator is if you fly as Part 101 (Hobbyist -- "model aircraft") or as Part 107 ("commercial sUAS)" If you strictly fly as Part 101 the registration number can be used on multiple airframes. If 107, each one has to be individually registered, at least as of the latest interpretation of the rulemaking and the courts. This interpretation seems like it changes depending on the hour hand of the clock, however, and of course is subject to the vagaries of Congress' budget reauthorization for the FAA.

Mr Gaddy is correct, I had this very conversation over the phone with a FAA rep when I was getting an airspace waiver. You can actually register a 107 aircraft by type and leave out the serial number.

If you fly under 107 your uas must be registered individually by craft and each craft will have a unique #. It has always been that way. The one registration for all craft is strictly for the hobby side.

Mr Gaddy and Pitman have it correct. 107 registration is per aircraft, not pilot.

The number does not have to be visible in flight, but must be accessible "without tools". In other words, under the battery is okay. At least, unless that requirement was changed in the last month too...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
russiananytime