Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Firmware Fly Away Crash...BEWARE

Reaction score
I upgraded to 1.3 a few days ago on my Inspire 1. I followed all the normal and recommended upgrades and procedures. The next day I went to fly, everything was fine until RTH popped up as I was getting ready to land. I tried hitting cancel on my phone and it was completely unresponsive. I tried to manually land it and the sticks on the controller were unresponsive as well, I couldn't do anything as it was hovering 5 feet off the ground in front of me. Once the 10 seconds ran out for RTH it launched itself up 30 feet into a tree and fell straight down snapping off the gimbal and camera. Other things are tweaked as well. I immediately called DJI and they didn't seem surprised. They sent me a pre paid FedEx label to send it back, and then stated the repair time frame was EIGHT weeks!! They said they will need to look at it "to make sure it was a defect". I hope they are nice enough to fix it for no cost. I sent it away on this past Thursday... so I will be with out it for a while. I am just glad it didn't happen on set or during an important shoot. Upgraders BEWARE!

Attachments

• IMG_5368 2.JPG
    IMG_5368 2.JPG
    764.3 KB · Views: 74
Also, both people I spoke with stated that I should have been able to over ride RTH at any moment just like I was able to do in the past firmwares. They admitted that it was not normal. Obviously I am really pissed. I just hope they fix it...it comes back safely... and doesn't fly away again when I get it back. :(

Sorry that wasn't the case. Like I said...ALL the updates were carried through correctly and I was flying for 13mins with out any issues until I went to land.

Sorry, I was reading wrong and misunderstood .. deleted my post.

What I can think of is that some phones can lock up sometimes.
Have experienced that my iPhone does not react, when to answer or do certain things sometimes.

Never had that problem on my iPads..

No worries, I understand.

I have flown with both my iPhone and iPad a million times with out issues. I was using my iPhone with out a problem, could use the touch screen just moments before to check the status and everything. It didn't freeze or anything at anytime, I could see all the warnings and feed from the Inspire with out a problem, even during the crash. Even while the aircraft initiated RTH I tried overriding with the controller.. nothing. Nothing worked. Even if the phone were to freeze you still can override with the controller. I couldn't do anything. Needless to say I'm pissed off, I just wish the repair would be faster, and they would tell me if this is covered because it was a defect. Its all an unknown issue right now.

Reactions: Kilrah
I upgraded to 1.3 a few days ago on my Inspire 1. I followed all the normal and recommended upgrades and procedures. The next day I went to fly, everything was fine until RTH popped up as I was getting ready to land. I tried hitting cancel on my phone and it was completely unresponsive. I tried to manually land it and the sticks on the controller were unresponsive as well, I couldn't do anything as it was hovering 5 feet off the ground in front of me. Once the 10 seconds ran out for RTH it launched itself up 30 feet into a tree and fell straight down snapping off the gimbal and camera. Other things are tweaked as well. I immediately called DJI and they didn't seem surprised. They sent me a pre paid FedEx label to send it back, and then stated the repair time frame was EIGHT weeks!! They said they will need to look at it "to make sure it was a defect". I hope they are nice enough to fix it for no cost. I sent it away on this past Thursday... so I will be with out it for a while. I am just glad it didn't happen on set or during an important shoot. Upgraders BEWARE!
Count 85 days from the day you sent you'll have it back on that day, (I hope sooner but probably not) I got mine back in 83 days and there are more units bering sent in daily. sorry for the bad news,

Reactions: Dave Kent
Do you know if you had the "Smart Go Home" on in the advanced settings? If it is turned off, it won't allow you control the craft or alter its path at all while it is RTH. This setting was probably turned off when you updated. As far as I know, this setting didn't even exist before and you could always control the craft during RTH. But after the update, you have to manually turn this option on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you try cancelling RTH with the RTH button on the remote? That's the obvious thing to do if the mobile device is unresponsive.

How do you cancel the RTH on the RC? Just press it once again? Thanks!

Do you know if you had the "Smart Go Home" on in the advanced settings? If it is turned off, it won't allow you control the craft or alter its path at all while it is RTH. This setting was probably turned off when you updated. As far as I know, this setting didn't even exist before and you could always control the craft during RTH. But after the update, you have to manually turn this option on.

My take on Smart Go Home is that, if it would have been turned off, the bird would just have landed, without RTH. The 'smart' thing of it is that (when it's on) it will only initiate a RTH when the distance to the homepoint is large enough. If it's close it will land where it is. Turning it off means the I1 will land where it is on critical low battery.

Am I wrong here?

My take on Smart Go Home is that, if it would have been turned off, the bird would just have landed, without RTH. The 'smart' thing of it is that (when it's on) it will only initiate a RTH when the distance to the homepoint is large enough. If it's close it will land where it is. Turning it off means the I1 will land where it is on critical low battery.

Am I wrong here?

Yes, I was wrong.
Here it is:

Using the RTH button on the remote controller (refer to “RTH button” on P28 for more information) or the RTH button in the DJI Pilot app when GPS is available to enables smart RTH. The aircraft return to the latest recorded Home Point, you may control the aircraft's orientation to avoid collision during the Smart RTH. Press the Smart RTH button once to start the process, press the Smart RTH button again to exit Smart RTH and regain the control.

So what's the use to be able to switch off a switch?

from the same manual:

Low Battery RTH

The low battery level failsafe is triggered when the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft. Users are advised to return home or land the aircraft immediately when these warnings are shown. DJI Pilot app will advise user to return the aircraft to the Home Point when low battery warning is triggered. Aircraft will automatically return to the Home Point if no action is taken after 10 seconds countdown. User can cancel the RTH by pressing once on the RTH button. The thresholds for these warnings are automatically determined based on the current aircraft altitude and its distance from the Home Point.

Aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft to land to the ground from the current altitude. User can use the remote controller to control the aircraft’s orientation during the landing process.

Reactions: The Editor
Smart go home is the option where when yo get to the H point on the sliding battery timer bar it initiates a RTH unless you cancel on the screen. As far as I know it has nothing to do with enabling control during RTH. I have managed to keep an inspire from landing by pushing throttle stick completely up at 100% when battery life was 6%

Smart go home is the option where when yo get to the H point on the sliding battery timer bar it initiates a RTH unless you cancel on the screen. As far as I know it has nothing to do with enabling control during RTH. I have managed to keep an inspire from landing by pushing throttle stick completely up at 100% when battery life was 6%
You're entirely right. I had smart go home off and tried it on the simulator. It responded to the RTH button like normal. Also I was able to control it. So the user manual makes no sense. I believe my original thought was correct.

Quoting myself:
The 'smart' thing of it is that (when it's on) it will only initiate a RTH when the distance to the homepoint is large enough. If it's close it will land where it is. Turning it off means the I1 will land where it is on critical low battery.

edited...typos, sorry

That is definitely it. I have tested it as well. With Smart Go Home enabled in the app, the bird will initiate a gohome command, when it thinks it needs the battery left to get home. With Smart go Home off, you can fly the bird out until the battery gives a low voltage auto land (then continue to give stick up until complete failure) and it will not attempt a return to home unless user initiated or radio loss. I will be turning smart go home off on all of my stuff as I always keep battery levels in the front of my mind. That and I had a P3P shoot into a low ceiling, thinking since I was in Atti, go home wouldn't kick in. I was wrong.

The only time I've crashed was from a RTH situation.. was under a cazeebo. Two collisions, one on the ceiling when it shot up like a rocket, one on the concrete floor. Pretty well smashed, several dozen pieces .. fixed it myself.

Pretty hilarious in hindsight

Count 85 days from the day you sent you'll have it back on that day, (I hope sooner but probably not) I got mine back in 83 days and there are more units bering sent in daily. sorry for the bad news,
Is this the same problem you been having?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop