Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New hand catch hardware option for Inspire 2

I'd rather crash my drone than get an "original" Enrique Iglesias Tee-shirt ...
Please guys ... NEVER hand catch an R/C helicopter or Drone ... under any circumstances ... even when on stage!

I purchased one of these I2 tripod mounts off eBay:

DJI Inspire 2 Tripod Mounting Plate | eBay

My intention was to add a lightweight handle to it to provide a safer way to hand catch my Inspire 2. When I spoke to the seller he kindly offered to design and supply a handle to add as part of the package.

Please note that the eBay link above is for just the tripod mount. You will have to speak to the seller about the handle option.

It arrived today and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality.

View attachment 19945

Fitting is straight forward (just 4 screws) and whilst the main mount weighs just 52g (the handle weighs 82g and can be detached in 2 seconds) I might just install the mount each time the job requires hand catching.

My initial trials prove that a one man hand catch is possible. However, unlike the Phantom, Inspire 1 and Mavic, the Inspire 2 is VERY reluctant to stop the motors using the throttle full-down stick command. The Inspire 2 puts up a bit of a fight before stopping the motors. For that reason, I would recommend the CSC stop to ensure that power can be removed quickly once the I2 has been caught.

View attachment 19947

View attachment 19948

View attachment 19949

It appears that the camera will still rotate 360°?

Did first hand catch today using the Seacraft handles. Far easier than I was expecting. Zero injuries. Was launching/catching from a sandy beach so wanted to avoid sand ingress. Launched previously on a beach on a large tarpaulin but still managed to get sand everywhere.

Can confirm if enabled in the options, CSC down-in on left stick + RTH causes immediate motor shutdown on my I2.

Looks a decent solution but really limits the filming possibilities if camera is facing the rear. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the camera being able to film at any orientation.
I think if hand catching is your biggest draw then the dji or 3rd party dual handles is a much better/safer option. One handle also does not give enough stability with motors as powerful as the i2. This would be an accident waiting to happen on a boat for example.

Reactions: DamesNY
Looks a decent solution but really limits the filming possibilities if camera is facing the rear. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the camera being able to film at any orientation.
I think if hand catching is your biggest draw then the dji or 3rd party dual handles is a much better/safer option. One handle also does not give enough stability with motors as powerful as the i2. This would be an accident waiting to happen on a boat for example.

I have used the the single handle and it certainly provides plenty of control over the I2 even when the I2 tries to fight back.

When hand catching on a boat we find that having one hand free that can be used to hold onto the boat is far more important than having two hands on the I2.

I do understand you point about the handle blocking the view but from experience we don’t usually find this to be an issue. After all, many of the DJI drone models cannot rotate their gimbal yet people still manage to shoot some superb footage.

I have used the the single handle and it certainly provides plenty of control over the I2 even when the I2 tries to fight back.

When hand catching on a boat we find that having one hand free that can be used to hold onto the boat is far more important than having two hands on the I2.

I do understand you point about the handle blocking the view but from experience we don’t usually find this to be an issue. After all, many of the DJI drone models cannot rotate their gimbal yet people still manage to shoot some superb footage.

Certainly a point worth considering but as someone that spends a lot of time on the water filming whales, I'm not convinced. As a professional operator, I certainly would never allow this safety-wise on any small vessel or under my watch. On a larger boat, potentially. Launching an i2 on a small vessel is far from ideal at the best of times of course.
In a professional setting there is often dual operators which this would not work with, but I suppose used on a single operator setup would work ok, assuming follow mode was selected. I think this would be better suited to a large vessel or on dry land. It is certainly a worthwhile product and excellent for tripod use. Looks well made too.

Certainly a point worth considering but as someone that spends a lot of time on the water filming whales, I'm not convinced. As a professional operator, I certainly would never allow this safety-wise on any small vessel or under my watch. On a larger boat, potentially. Launching an i2 on a small vessel is far from ideal at the best of times of course.
In a professional setting there is often dual operators which this would not work with, but I suppose used on a single operator setup would work ok, assuming follow mode was selected. I think this would be better suited to a large vessel or on dry land. It is certainly a worthwhile product and excellent for tripod use. Looks well made too.

Intersting view point.

However, I too operate professionally (have done for over 4 years) and would not consider that having someone on a small boat using both hands to catch the I2 to be in a safe state to do so.

From my point of view there would be far more risk of them losing balance and falling than there would be of them not being strong enough to hold the I2 single handed whilst maintaining their own balance using the free hand.

I guess we will have to agree to differ on this one.

You are correct about the build quality though [emoji3]

Intersting view point.

However, I too operate professionally (have done for over 4 years) and would not consider that having someone on a small boat using both hands to catch the I2 to be in a safe state to do so.

From my point of view there would be far more risk of them losing balance and falling than there would be of them not being strong enough to hold the I2 single handed whilst maintaining their own balance using the free hand.

I guess we will have to agree to differ on this one.

You are correct about the build quality though [emoji3]
Hi,

I think you misunderstood my post/meaning.

I'm not advocating using an i2 in a small vessel at all. I'm actively discouraging it and I'd never do it or allow it in my business. I was referring to the suggestion pf catching the i2 while holding onto the boat, which seemed to suggest you were referring to a small vessel.
An i2 is a tool for use on a big vessel and even then it's far from ideal. A p4p is the job for anything other than a large boat. I think that any skipper worth their salt would agree that on a larger vessel the two handles are a far safer option from safety perspective. I think this is perfect for hand catching on dry land and probably shouldn't be sold as a solution for boats. Just my two cents of course. I still think it's a great product when used in the right setting.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think you misunderstood my post/meaning.

I'm not advocating using an i2 in a small vessel at all. I'm actively discouraging it and I'd never do it or allow it in my business. I was referring to the suggestion pf catching the i2 while holding onto the boat, which seemed to suggest you were referring to a small vessel.
An i2 is a tool for use on a big vessel and even then it's far from ideal. A p4p is the job for anything other than a large boat. I think that any skipper worth their salt would agree that on a larger vessel the two handles are a far safer option from safety perspective. I think this is perfect for hand catching on dry land and probably shouldn't be sold as a solution for boats. Just my two cents of course. I still think it's a great product when used in the right setting.

I guess we may have a different idea of small v large vessel?

For my work, a small vessel might be a pilot boat, say 20+m length with an open deck area. A large vessel might be 150+m with a heli-deck. With careful planning, operation of the I2 on the former can be perfectly safe but with even a slight sea it pays to have one hand free to brace yourself with. On a larger vessel I accept that a two handed catch is possible and may even add to the overall safety.

Safe boat operations has nothing to do with boat length, it is landing area available along with weather and swell conditions, a rib is totally unsuitable as well as a metal boat IMHO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aayushijain873