Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Laowa 7.5mm Lens Help

I don't bother hot-swapping the Laowa on the X5S/I2 or X5/Osmo, it works happily for video on both, certainly with H264. I've not tried it with ProRes of CinemaDNG. Photos have been OK too.

The only problems I have using the 7.5 are with trying to get the exposure values settled - DJI Go doesn't handle the manual lens very well and doesn't like to switch between Aperture/Shutter/Manual modes. I've found it works best in video mode as changes in the ISO & shutter speed show up on screen pretty much straight away. In photo mode, it tends to try and fight changes to the shutter speed and ISO, and its sometimes easier to switch to Video shooting, set the Ev and then switch back to photo mode. The other way is to use the exposure compensation in photo mode.

I've not experienced the x5s feed swapping with the fpv one. The other issue you mention with the DNG/JPEGs sometimes occurs when you power down/restart with the Laowa attached - for some reason Go4 throws it's toys outta the pram and forgets some of the settings. You might find it also switching between 4:3 and 16:9 format, changing colour profile, and turning the focus peaking off too :confused: Always best to check them while (and after) using the Laowa :rolleyes:

Thx NickU. If I can read between the lines: You are mounting LAOWA cold, on INSP2. Powering up and invoking video mode first, then going back to still image making to insure settings are understood?

Cold starting with 7.5 attached. I then normally use video mode to get the exposure right on screen using ISO, shutter speed and EV. After that, If I want photos, I then switch to photo mode and wait a second or two for the exposure/image to settle down again (it seems to try to change the value when it switches mode). if it looks over or underexposed, I tend to use the exposure compensation (Ev) to add +\- part stops - it seems to react better to that than trying to change the shutter speed value.

You may also occasionally find the camera resets while you make changes to the exposure or switch modes. I think it's then that it has a tendency to mess up the format/Jpg/ding settings.

Hey June 2019 update for those interested- the dicrepancy between raw/jpeg exposure and what's on screen persists, and full manual control, for me, isn't an option in the app, regardless or starting in video or not. The workaround I used is Shutter Priority, where ISO is locked and Aperture is set on the lens prior to flight. I adjust exposure via shutter (and ISO if I need it).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry