Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Newbie needs advice

Reaction score
Currently I own a mavic pro and in June gonna jump on the inspire bandwagon..

I have a 2018 iPad Pro and I’m wondering if the newer faster iPad Pro would be worth my time.
I’m not interested in crystal sky or any android device so please just reply about iPad pros

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
I would say no...
I've a 10.5" and a 12.9" ipad pro,i only use the 10.5" for flying cause the 12.9" is too heavy to hold on.
I don't see where the newer ipad pro would benefit you.
If you didn't had any ipad at all and were "starting from scratch",then maybe...
My 10.5" doesn't seem to lack in any department as a "flying screen".
Just my humble opinion of course !!

I would say no...
I've a 10.5" and a 12.9" ipad pro,i only use the 10.5" for flying cause the 12.9" is too heavy to hold on.
I don't see where the newer ipad pro would benefit you.
If you didn't had any ipad at all and were "starting from scratch",then maybe...
My 10.5" doesn't seem to lack in any department as a "flying screen".
Just my humble opinion of course !!

Mr.Burns.666,
I to have a 10.5 and love it..
For what I’m gonna be using it for I think I’m ok.
I was mainly just needing feedback from you inspire pilots because I know my 10.5 is suitable for the mavic.
I guess I was thinking maybe the more technical inspire needed more..

The only problem I ever had was streaming live fb.
Choppy video at best and lagging..
I haven’t flown in over a year and I believe the go4 app has been updated and those problems corrected.,
Thank u for ur advice..

I thought the same thing when I had my Mavic. Then when I purchased the inspire my tablet was not good enough. I needed something faster since then never had one problem.

Currently I own a mavic pro and in June gonna jump on the inspire bandwagon..

I have a 2018 iPad Pro and I’m wondering if the newer faster iPad Pro would be worth my time.
I’m not interested in crystal sky or any android device so please just reply about iPad pros

That honestly depends on what your intentions are. Here's the good and the bad from a guy who's run the gamut:

* Older iPads (post Air 1) work perfectly with all DJI apps. You will notice little or no difference in this regard.
* SOME APPS DO require more horse power. So if you intend to do COMPLEX automated flights, I recommend the Air Pro or better.
* Newer iPads can't be hacked as easily as the old iPads can. This limits you to using the iPad the way APPLE tells you and the way DJI TELLS you. Starting with Gen 3 (easily spotted via the USB-C interface and missing 1/8" audio jack), is much more difficult to hack.
* Hacking is required for system reliability and control (I'll site the almost daily myriad of fly-aways, crashes and loss of control seen in ALL 3 "Pilots" forums). In 6 years of droning, I've had none of that.
* Hacking is required to avoid random, erroneous login requirements to agree to new terms or takes tests or lord knows what. These "tests" and login requirements DISABLE YOUR DRONE until you find Internet access, login and take the GD test. If you're a casual flyer who only flies in-city for phun, this is an inconvenience. If you're a professional who flies out on location (99% of my work), then these login requirements are an absolute deal-breaker.

In my mind, the Air Pro, Gen 2 (with Lightning interface and 1/8" audio jack) is the sweet spot. It's the latest iPad that is still hackable, and yet has enough horsepower to run complex automation tasks.

D

That honestly depends on what your intentions are. Here's the good and the bad from a guy who's run the gamut:

* Older iPads (post Air 1) work perfectly with all DJI apps. You will notice little or no difference in this regard.
* SOME APPS DO require more horse power. So if you intend to do COMPLEX automated flights, I recommend the Air Pro or better.
* Newer iPads can't be hacked as easily as the old iPads can. This limits you to using the iPad the way APPLE tells you and the way DJI TELLS you. Starting with Gen 3 (easily spotted via the USB-C interface and missing 1/8" audio jack), is much more difficult to hack.
* Hacking is required for system reliability and control (I'll site the almost daily myriad of fly-aways, crashes and loss of control seen in ALL 3 "Pilots" forums). In 6 years of droning, I've had none of that.
* Hacking is required to avoid random, erroneous login requirements to agree to new terms or takes tests or lord knows what. These "tests" and login requirements DISABLE YOUR DRONE until you find Internet access, login and take the GD test. If you're a casual flyer who only flies in-city for phun, this is an inconvenience. If you're a professional who flies out on location (99% of my work), then these login requirements are an absolute deal-breaker.

In my mind, the Air Pro, Gen 2 (with Lightning interface and 1/8" audio jack) is the sweet spot. It's the latest iPad that is still hackable, and yet has enough horsepower to run complex automation tasks.

D

WOW!!
Ok friend I’m like almost illiterate when it comes to hacking and such..
Lol..

So if I get my part 107 and fly the photo/ video shoots, mapping, real estate and that type BBC stuff ur saying I should go with hackable iPad?

Or is hacking on for far more complex flights?

Thank you so much for ur time and extensive info friend..

I don't have as much experience as others here, but I do use an iPad mini 4 when I'm flying either my mavic 2 pro or inspire 2. I do plan and fly missions using litchi, map pilot and GS Pro. Run very few programs on the mini 4, and get the internet maps by using my cell phone as a hotspot, unless I've previously cached them. The mini 4 is lightweight for its size and holds a charge for a day or two of flying. In a nutshell, I've been very pleased with this setup. Adding a matte finish screen protector and three-sided sun shade does a good job of eliminating the glare.

WOW!!
Ok friend I’m like almost illiterate when it comes to hacking and such..
Lol..

So if I get my part 107 and fly the photo/ video shoots, mapping, real estate and that type BBC stuff ur saying I should go with hackable iPad?

You want an iPad you can control. You want an iPad that you can install legacy apps on when the modern ones fail you in the field. I mean, honestly, the only difference between the pro and amateur guys at this point is who can guarantee reliability on site 100% of the time. Based on what I've seen from the MODERN offerings, nobody who simply does all the updates and runs the latest firmware and apps can offer that. Conversely, those of us who have found the reliable combination of FW and software have STUCK with it. Therefore, my drones not only ALWAYS work, but they will CONTINUE to always work until the end of time

Or is hacking on for far more complex flights?

Hacking insures reliability and usability for every job in every location.

Thank you so much for ur time and extensive info friend..

You bet. But you might want to start diving into researching how to do things like install legacy apps on iPads and roll back firmwares. It's waaaaaay too deep to get into here. And please don't PM me. Do your research. READ this forum and notice how many fly-aways, crashes and loss-of-control posts you find. ALL OF IT was preventable. Every last one.

D

I don't have as much experience as others here, but I do use an iPad mini 4 when I'm flying either my mavic 2 pro or inspire 2. I do plan and fly missions using litchi, map pilot and GS Pro. Run very few programs on the mini 4, and get the internet maps by using my cell phone as a hotspot, unless I've previously cached them. The mini 4 is lightweight for its size and holds a charge for a day or two of flying. In a nutshell, I've been very pleased with this setup. Adding a matte finish screen protector and three-sided sun shade does a good job of eliminating the glare.

The iPad mini 5 was another one I was thinking of since it’s smaller..
I’ve heard the iPad mini 4 was a great device as well.
Thank u

You want an iPad you can control. You want an iPad that you can install legacy apps on when the modern ones fail you in the field. I mean, honestly, the only difference between the pro and amateur guys at this point is who can guarantee reliability on site 100% of the time. Based on what I've seen from the MODERN offerings, nobody who simply does all the updates and runs the latest firmware and apps can offer that. Conversely, those of us who have found the reliable combination of FW and software have STUCK with it. Therefore, my drones not only ALWAYS work, but they will CONTINUE to always work until the end of time

Hacking insures reliability and usability for every job in every location.

You bet. But you might want to start diving into researching how to do things like install legacy apps on iPads and roll back firmwares. It's waaaaaay too deep to get into here. And please don't PM me. Do your research. READ this forum and notice how many fly-aways, crashes and loss-of-control posts you find. ALL OF IT was preventable. Every last one.

D

Thank u very much for your input..
I promise I won’t pm u.
Lol..
I will continue to research and read post here so I can make a well informed decision.,
I thank all u guys for your time and suggestions.

I have purchased most of my iPads used from either eBay or Facebook at reasonable prices.
I would suggest that you look on YouTube because you can find the answers to all of your questions. And there’s more than enough tutorials on the Inspire series that will help you understand everything you should know.
That is how I learned everything I needed to be able to fly it successfully.

Last edited:
I have used a standard iPad with no cellular for over eight years with my various drones with no issues. I currently have a 10.5 Pro and a Mini 5, I hardly use the Pro now as the mini is perfect for my needs. I'm happy to report no glitches at all, I only have a few apps on my mini, most all are to help with my flights. I have an Inspire 1 & 2 and now a Mavic mini for stick practice around the house and garden during lockdown, nice wee drone I should add. I should add the only reason I no longer use or rarely use the Pro is the weight i see no difference in performance between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: African Bush Pilot
Thanks all, just answered a question I have been researching for the past few days. Ipad Mini 4 and Air 2 coming through strong.
Just one question has anyone used any of the Huawei Mediapads on the I1s at all?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk