Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Newbie needs stick input help!

Yt2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to RC flying and while the Inspire 1 is easy to fly forward and backwards, up and down, I am having a hard time keeping things smooth and going where I want to go on the first stick input. I get confused when the Inspire is flying towards me or when it is facing right angles to me.
An old mate of mine said he used to know rime that he learnt when he was flying years ago, but he can't remember it. Obviously flying hours will count, but can you help me with some sort of way to remember which to move the sticks when I am arse about?

One other thing, is it best to put your finger on top of the stick or grip the shaft?
Any help will prolong my battery life and thanks in advance...
Yt...

There's not something somebody can say that will make you a better operator. You just need to learn how to fly in general, just takes time getting used to the aircraft and how it moves around. For how you hold the sticks is whatever is comfortable to you, I hold the sticks, some people use their thumbs, personal preference.

Firstly, read through all the Dji manuals and then familiarise with your aircraft. If you're using an ios device such as an ipad air 2, there's a built in flight simulator which can be configured to your liking. Otherwise, take her out in a large field or perhaps a large grass oval and make the home point the middle of the oval and leave the app on beginner mode and fly her like until your fingers are sore. Once you build up your confidence, pick a nice day with hardly any wind, go into the apps settings and enable multiple flight mode. This mode will enable the multiple flight modes on the RC. And again, set the home point in the middle of a large oval and take off in P Mode which is GPS mode and make sure she's facing away from you then flick on A Mode which is Attitude mode and slowly fly her left and right then up and down so that you can get a feel of how she fly's without GPS. Once you're comfortable, begin to face her towards you and then try to perform an imaginary square. ie: Go up then left then down then right. Keep practicing this square and also alternate the direction.
When flying her towards you, I found by looking in the direction I want to go I then simply remember that I need to move the sticks the opposite way as to where I'm looking. I realise it's easier said then done but with lots of practice it becomes second nature.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
The only thing that will help is experience. Some people will "get it" in no time, others will need many hours, and some may never really get the grip - just like for anything.

I'm afraid it's practice, practice and then more practice.
With regards to nose in flying you just have to keep at it until one day it will 'click' and you will get it! You have to get to a position where you do not think about your stick input but it becomes intuitive (like driving... you do not THINK about the pedals and steering wheel movements.... you just DO IT). Flying RC has to become as automatic as driving.....It WILL happen but it just takes longer for some than others.
The problem with relying on thinking about which way to push the sticks when the craft is nose into you is that in an extreme avoidance situation you do not have time to think - rather like swerving to avoid a child running out in the road...... if you had to process "OK, there's a child just run in front of me, now...which way am I travelling?...Which way do I move the wheel to go left...etc, etc) In that time you would have put the poor kid in hospital :confused:
Work at it and it will become second nature.......

Reactions: crashburn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions