Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No fly craziness

Reaction score
Try to fly near Tulsa and take a look at this ... From what I could tell it's people putting in their private residences as no-fly zones to imagine having to activate all the zones... I post this because this is the system DJI uses for their no fly information...so imagine a couple hundred people in the area add their homes...so are we going to have to "activate" 200 zones just to fly in some areas? If this is any indication, it seems that this system is going to get clogged up pretty quickly.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Grazioso
Oh my, I just pulled up DFW area to see what it looked like...My prediction came true, there literally have to be over 100 overlapping no fly zones...meaning one could not fly ANYWHERE! I think the only solution to this is simple. There just needs to be "On" and "Off." You sign a simple waiver that says you will do your best to follow the law and it is on you to do so...that's it. I would say a single warning, because of all these overlapping areas it would totally crunch the software trying to get approval for all of these... I mean does anyone have any thoughts on how crazy all of this is?

I actually moved the map around and more and more pop up, there literally are tiny tiny islands where you could fly now!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.26.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.26.43 AM.png
    805.2 KB · Views: 72
That is mental. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as that in the UK.

The thing that's most stupid about this is that you could build a 900mm hex and stick a Naze on it or some other FC without GPS and fly wherever you like.

Hi wbill, I just looked at the same area and only got that kind of concentration by clicking the warning zones (green) which are not a problem, just information really. Also once you get down to the scale relevant to RPA operations (in the UK thats 500 metres line of site) then really you are only going to have to select one or two Restricted Zones. Its all part of the pre-flight planning process and good practice. If individual land owners are able to add restricted zones, then this shouldn't be a problem as you need their permission to work there anyway....

Aren't most of the green informational warnings mostly just helicopter pads? If I turn it on for Seattle, the green pins seem to all be television news organization buildings (which have helicopter pads), hospitals (which have helicopter pads), and police stations (which have helicopter pads). The only actual restrictions I see are the airports.

Reactions: Adam Stanford
Let me take a look again, last night it was all yellow which is zone you have to release...there was no green...perhaps I caught them in an update or something.

I just went back and there were a lot fewer yellows, but still a few more than there were. I had turned off the green, so was only seeing authorization zones (yellow). As you can see in my pictures, I think perhaps all what is now green zone was yellow at the time I looked...so perhaps its been fixed.

Reactions: Adam Stanford
Hmmm, so to do an experiment I went to the geo site and tried to add a zone, entered zone, then serial number, then says I need to verify using CC or phone, tried CC, wouldn't let me enter any information, then tried phone, entered phone then clicked button to send code to enter, but the window just disappears after pressing the button and puts me back on the authorization zone map page with serial number info all gone. And nothing comes on my phone... I sent email to DJI, anyone here have similar issues? I tried Safari and Firefox.

Hmmm, so to do an experiment I went to the geo site and tried to add a zone, entered zone, then serial number, then says I need to verify using CC or phone, tried CC, wouldn't let me enter any information, then tried phone, entered phone then clicked button to send code to enter, but the window just disappears after pressing the button and puts me back on the authorization zone map page with serial number info all gone. And nothing comes on my phone... I sent email to DJI, anyone here have similar issues? I tried Safari and Firefox.

Yes, exactly same! And no answer from DJI from mail address flysafeatdjidotcom, what I got from online chat. >Actually it looks's like it not functioning at all.

This is a colossal screw up dy DJI in my opinion.
The service is still in beta but for some unfathomable reason DJI elected to release Android beta publically and this is causing more trouble than its worth.
Beta testers will knowm who they are and all communication exchange will go through Centrecode.
I am sorry I cannot answer more questions on the subject but it is not ready for public use - irrespective of what you can see/download.

This is a colossal screw up dy DJI in my opinion.
The service is still in beta but for some unfathomable reason DJI elected to release Android beta publically and this is causing more trouble than its worth.
Beta testers will knowm who they are and all communication exchange will go through Centrecode.
I am sorry I cannot answer more questions on the subject but it is not ready for public use - irrespective of what you can see/download.

OK, Thank You for your info.

Yes, thank you for that heads up. I still think they should simplify and just have a process to turn it off completely...still give warnings but allow flights. Because as we all know...anyone with malicious intent will find a way...and anyone who is just ignorant wont have gone through the effort to turn no fly zones off. I know none of the manufacturers want to have their copter to be the first in an accident or attack, but this heavy handedness on their part is almost completely making them useless.

Firmware v1.5 is the last update for my Phantom 3 and Inspire 1. GO App is blocked for updates on all devices.

Getting involved with firmware v1.7 will be disastrous. No one is going to want to deactivate dozens of fly zones every 72 hours.

Reactions: wbill
Firmware v1.5 is the last update for my Phantom 3 and Inspire 1. GO App is blocked for updates on all devices.

Getting involved with firmware v1.7 will be disastrous. No one is going to want to deactivate dozens of fly zones every 72 hours.
Nor be on some perpetual list...

Thank god the map in Germany is not maintained very well, just a few authorization zones and the most of them i checked are wrong.

According to the official maps i live in a restricted absolutely no fly zone (big Airport) but DJI listed the Airport as a authorization zone with 1.5km around it.

So, no hassle with DJI wannabe security marketing bla bla website for me.. Thumbs up!

Chris

Reactions: wbill
That is a huge problem they have literally turned all the no fly zones on with no way to turn them off so if their maps are inaccurate, which it appears there are a number of inaccuracies, it makes these drones completely useless. Even people with permission to fly in a certain area cannot do so currently because there is no way to turn it off.

Maybe it's time to start organizing a class-action lawsuit against DJI to get this fixed until real law can be enacted... Because their heavy-handed decisions are making their quad copters expensive paperweights.

Especially since they don't even follow the graded distance/height approach that has been deemed acceptable by the faa.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla