Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No-Fly Zone Updated on DJI Website

Reaction score
Ok fellow I1 owners, I know this has been talked about before but I had to post this picture. I am now in a No-fly zone and can't even start the motors even if I want to fly indoor. I have no problem with safety but this is ridiculous, if I want to fly indoor I should be able to do it regardless of the area I am in. I know this is a rant and there is nothing that can be done but its so frustrating when restrictions are implemented blindly without complete thought or understanding of a specific area.

Attachments

• nofly.jpg
    nofly.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 56
I feel for you, all we can do is fly safely and hopefully common sense will prevail from the governing bodies and if we make a mistake or push the "boundaries", don't post on here, UTube, FB etc and if you meet the uneducated/idiots out there, point out the error/s of their ways or report them, sad but needs to be done. Just like reckless driving.

From someone in the UK and after many visits to the US, I still can't get over the sheer size. That's a big border between the US and Mexico, perfect for the smuggling with drones, gotta be a job there somewhere and I don't the smuggling part.

Ok fellow I1 owners, I know this has been talked about before but I had to post this picture. I am now in a No-fly zone and can't even start the motors even if I want to fly indoor. I have no problem with safety but this is ridiculous, if I want to fly indoor I should be able to do it regardless of the area I am in. I know this is a rant and there is nothing that can be done but its so frustrating when restrictions are implemented blindly without complete thought or understanding of a specific area.
Also the restrictions are not implemented blindly. They have been no fly zones forever.. you have needed to call your local tower to get permission to fly within 3.5 miles of any airport for 40 years now. DJI is just making it so idiots who normally would not call the tower to get permission to fly within 3.5 miles of a airport cant just take off and violate rules that have been in place since forever.

If all of these new flyers knew the rules, dji would not have to implement rules like this because these flyers that violate the rules should have known better.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Also the restrictions are not implemented blindly. They have been no fly zones forever.. you have needed to call your local tower to get permission to fly within 3.5 miles of any airport for 40 years now. DJI is just making it so idiots who normally would not call the tower to get permission to fly within 3.5 miles of a airport cant just take off and violate rules that have been in place since forever.

If all of these new flyers knew the rules, dji would not have to implement rules like this because these flyers that violate the rules should have known better.

While I agree with what you said about calling the tower to inform them of model aircraft activity I would emphasize that I wasn't talking about flying the l1 outdoors within the 3.5 mile range of the airport. I'm talking about flying indoor where there is no risk to full-scale aircraft in the area.

Tahoejmfc,

You might want to look at this link before you tell me I'm exaggerating http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly this is a NEW link and drastically different than the picture you posted. Here is a picture at the same scale you took from the new DJI no-fly link above.

Attachments

• nofly2.jpg
    nofly2.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 31
I stand corrected,
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
this is the list and photo I was referring to that is currently posted to the DJI site

The list you are showing is a different list on the DJI site with much smaller closure circles of exactly 1 nautical mile radius closure from the center of the local airport. Here is a map showing the diameter of these new closures
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 10.53.33 AM.png

I can understand why you should not be limited to flying within the radius when you are inside and all flight rules are invalid when indoors. This is purely DJI trying to protect themselves from problems in the future from people without knowledge making bad choices and flying right next to airports.

I stand corrected,
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
this is the list and photo I was referring to that is currently posted to the DJI site

The list you are showing is a different list on the DJI site with much smaller closure circles of exactly 1 nautical mile radius closure from the center of the local airport. Here is a map showing the diameter of these new closures
View attachment 1327

I can understand why you should not be limited to flying within the radius when you are inside and all flight rules are invalid when indoors. This is purely DJI trying to protect themselves from problems in the future from people without knowledge making bad choices and flying right next to airports.

I did notice this as well. Also an interesting observation when I compared the link I posted to my pilot app (note the inspire has to be on and a gps lock) the red no fly circles are actually double the size on the web link. If you compare the circle online to where I live I'm actually outside the listed no fly but when I power up the app and l1 the red circle expands to my locations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg