Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Noob question X3 to Z3

Reaction score
Hi all hope you are all well I've just got a Z3 camera for my Inspire 1 (also recently purchased)
My question is this when the X3 camera is on the inspire the camera stays facing forward no matter which way the aircraft flys (C1 & C2 are set to reset gimbal)

When I put the Z3 on the camera stays facing forward as the Inspire turns the camera still faces toward the original direction and I have to press the C1 or C2 to get the camera to point back to the direction the nose is pointing. Is there a way to make the Z3 camera just follow the nose of the Inspire like the X3 without having to reset it all the time with using the C1 or C2? I'm sure its a setting in the app i've missed maybe?

Any advice much appreciated
Andy

Hi all hope you are all well I've just got a Z3 camera for my Inspire 1 (also recently purchased)
My question is this when the X3 camera is on the inspire the camera stays facing forward no matter which way the aircraft flys (C1 & C2 are set to reset gimbal)

When I put the Z3 on the camera stays facing forward as the Inspire turns the camera still faces toward the original direction and I have to press the C1 or C2 to get the camera to point back to the direction the nose is pointing. Is there a way to make the Z3 camera just follow the nose of the Inspire like the X3 without having to reset it all the time with using the C1 or C2? I'm sure its a setting in the app i've missed maybe?

Any advice much appreciated
Andy
Hello,I hear the Z3 is a good camera. I use the X5 with the Olympus 14-42mm lens for zooming in. I was wondering if you calibrated your Z3 after attaching it to the drone? It should have all the movement your X3 has.

Explore the Go App. There are settings for camera behavior. Once you find those settings and experiment with them, repost your question.

D

Hi mikieh51 no not calibrated it the DJI Go app see it as a different type of drone if you have the X3 on it it calls it Inspire 1 if you put the Z3 on it it calls it a Inspire Z3.

Donnie Frank I'll start it with the X3 on it see the setting then restart with Z3, just though someone could direct me to the setting required to change as in the field they look set the same but behavior was different?

Figured it out its nothing to do with the gimbals settings or camera it's to do with the mode on the left had side of the screen (the little arrow head icon).

Figured it out its nothing to do with the gimbals settings or camera it's to do with the mode on the left had side of the screen (the little arrow head icon).
And there it is. Like I said, "Explore the Go App."

This forum should be your last resort when you've exhausted all options. Not your go-to because you're too lazy to try things.

Welcome to the forum.

D

This is why I keep away from forums because of obnoxious pricks like you
Even DJI's own video did not cover this when referencing the camera and gimbal on the app (which I watched before posting).

Video

Last edited:
This is why I keep away from forums because of obnoxious pricks like you
Even DJI's own video did not cover this when referencing the camera and gimbal on the app (which I watched before posting).

Video
A timeline:

* You asked a question before taking 20 minutes to explore the app.
* I then suggested you explore the app to find the answer yourself.
* You take my advice and explore the app yourself, which results in finding the answer to your question.
* For helping you find the answer, I'm a prick.

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat today. TEACH a man to fish, and he'll eat EVERYDAY."

Touché, sir. You might wanna self reflect a bit.

D

To the original poster, I’ve just spent a couple of hours looking for the answer to the same question you had about your Z3 camera. I finally found your post. If I would not of found your post on the forum, and you had not taken the time to answer it I would still be in the dark. I agree with you about obnoxious members of forums. I’m pretty sure that nobody knows exactly how much time you had already spent searching for the answer to your question and where are you looked. I have been a member of different forums since the Internet was invented. Forums will always be polluted by trolls who find some satisfaction in demeaning people, especially self-admitted newbies. At least they offer humour by thinking or suggesting that they have somehow educated you and change your life By suggesting that their unproductive comment somehow solved something. I admire you for admitting that in the first place and I want to thank you very much for saving me more time looking for the answer to the question that you solved. I for one am glad that you are interested in drones and have joined this forum.

To the original poster, I’ve just spent a couple of hours looking for the answer to the same question you had about your Z3 camera. I finally found your post. If I would not of found your post on the forum, and you had not taken the time to answer it I would still be in the dark. I agree with you about obnoxious members of forums. I’m pretty sure that nobody knows exactly how much time you had already spent searching for the answer to your question and where are you looked. I have been a member of different forums since the Internet was invented. Forums will always be polluted by trolls who find some satisfaction in demeaning people, especially self-admitted newbies. At least they offer humour by thinking or suggesting that they have somehow educated you and change your life By suggesting that their unproductive comment somehow solved something. I admire you for admitting that in the first place and I want to thank you very much for saving me more time looking for the answer to the question that you solved. I for one am glad that you are interested in drones and have joined this forum.
Don't encourage people to be lazy. There's quite enough of that going around. There's nothing wrong with a noob question. Nothing. LAZY questions piss people off. The OP asked a lazy question. Too lazy to take 20 minutes to explore the app, he came to the forum. The forum is where you go when you've exhausted your own resources - like exploring an app for 20 minutes. I will take a diligent noob who has done his homework and preliminary research over a lazy expert any day. Calling out laziness is NOT "trolling." We can agree to disagree.

D

Quite frankly, to call people "trolls" because they are motivating someone to do their own research is pretty obnoxious.

As Donnie stated, it is not like the guy knows the app backwards and forwards and asked some sort of obscure question. He asked a BASIC question that anyone that uses the app is supposed to know. I mean, honestly, how can someone be trusted to pilot an aircraft of the size of the Inspire 1 if they cannot be diligent enough to understand the app they are using.

Sorry, there are no "trolls" here. There are experienced pilots who frown upon people being lazy and ignorant by choice. There is a level of responsibility in being a pilot of one of these and to be so obtuse is frustrating for the rest of us that take it as a serious endeavor.

Sorry, the Inspire 1 is NOT a beginners drone. It is a serious aircraft that is to be taken as seriously by those that are in command of them.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I suppose I should just go ahead and say that using the word troll to make my point may have been excessive. I certainly apologize for that. An experienced user of forums also understands that the spirit in which it was conceived was to learn together and encourage growth with the members. Nobody has any idea how long this fellow spent looking for the answer. It could just as easily have been hours as it could have been less than 20 minutes. Unfortunately some people just go ahead and call a guy like that lazy. I think that is a total **** move. Don’t you? The point of my post was two fold. Number one to thank the guy for taking the time to post what he learned. No joke, I had spent a lot of time looking for that answer however I am new to the use of inspire ones. You will be dead wrong to think that because I’m new to using inspire that I am an Inexperienced pilot. Certainly I have no say and how you choose to perceive the purpose of a forum. I would just rather see people not be rude to each other when there is no reason to be. We can go on and on and on about the psychological reasons that people do that but this is a DJI inspire 1 forum. It’s interesting to check out peoples number of posts versus time since joining the forum. I can assure you that I have at least 40 to 50 hours reading posts in this forum. I think this is my third post. I just don’t require attention like some people do. And I don’t have to try to make myself look smart at the expense of trying to make someone else look stupid.

I’m really not trying to start anything here. It would be hypocritical to try to egg on anything negative. I’m just a guy who will stand up for anybody who I think is being abused. Soft I am not. I’m a lot like the other guy, the original poster when he said that obnoxious people keep him away from forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikieh51
I couldn’t agree with you more. I suppose I should just go ahead and say that using the word troll to make my point may have been excessive.
I'm glad you concede. It *was* excessive.

I certainly apologize for that. An experienced user of forums also understands that the spirit in which it was conceived was to learn together and encourage growth with the members.
Agreed.

Nobody has any idea how long this fellow spent looking for the answer.
I do. Less than 30 minutes, maybe less than 20, possibly less than 10. The soft button he was looking for is right there on the 'home page.' One doesn't even have to access the menu system to change the gimbal setting he was looking for. One can literally explore every option of the 'home page' in 10 minutes. So, yes, I'm pretty sure I know how much time he spent "searching" for his answer.

It could just as easily have been hours as it could have been less than 20 minutes.
I disagree. If you're spending hours with your "new drone" and haven't discovered every single option the Home Page has to offer, then I don't know what to say. You're in the wrong business and maybe you should just put down the control and sell the drone. A drone isn't a toy. It's a piece of (arguably dangerous) piece of technical equipment. If you lack the technical savvy to find the gimbal settings on the home page, then you honestly shouldn't be flying a drone the size of an Inspire 1.

Unfortunately some people just go ahead and call a guy like that lazy.
Aside from the fact that I didn't call anybody anything, I don't like using the word "stupid." I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt and used the word "lazy" instead.

I think that is a total **** move. Don’t you?
No sir. I don't want to be an enabler of bad behavior. And making the forum your go-to for every single basic question is the definition of bad behavior. As I stated earlier, the forum should be your second or third line of defense. Not your first.

The point of my post was two fold. Number one to thank the guy for taking the time to post what he learned. No joke, I had spent a lot of time looking for that answer however I am new to the use of inspire ones.
I find it almost ironic that it didn't occur to you to click the triangle icon on the left side of the screen:
1631289145580.png

Once you TOUCH it, it opens up a whole new world of options:
1631289208528.png

I don't think I would be too far off if I asserted that 90% of new users find this within 10 minutes of opening the app. It was literally one of the first things I clicked when I purchased my new Inspire 1 almost 5 years ago.

You will be dead wrong to think that because I’m new to using inspire that I am an Inexperienced pilot.
Touché. I'm sure I'm not the first person to recommend something simpler, smaller, cheaper and less complex for a first drone. But since it is your first drone, I would literally explore every single option the app has to offer BEFORE spinning up the motors. In fact, though I might connect and power up the drone, I would leave the props off so you can explore Willy-Nilly without fear of damaging your drone or your surroundings. That would be my STRONG recommendation. Literally, click every single soft button throughout the entire app. This should take about 20 minutes tops.

Certainly I have no say and how you choose to perceive the purpose of a forum.
If you see a forum as an immediate go-to for basic questions, then we can just agree to disagree. I don't know if you noticed, but this forum is VAST. Clogging it with simple, basic questions is not a good idea IMHO. We can agree to disagree.

I would just rather see people not be rude to each other when there is no reason to be.
The OP got a light slap on the hand. I feel the need to point out that I did NOT call anybody any names. I said, "Don't encourage people to be lazy." Before that I encouraged the OP to "explore the app." I was extremely polite IMHO.

We can go on and on and on about the psychological reasons that people do that but this is a DJI inspire 1 forum. It’s interesting to check out peoples number of posts versus time since joining the forum. I can assure you that I have at least 40 to 50 hours reading posts in this forum.
Good for you, sir. There is a myriad of knowledge here. I'm sure you've seen how deeply we dive into the Inspire 1, including software, firmware and hardware. Questions like "How do I start the motors" will be duly chastised.

I think this is my third post. I just don’t require attention like some people do. And I don’t have to try to make myself look smart at the expense of trying to make someone else look stupid.
If "explore the app" and "Don't encourage people to be lazy" is your idea of making someone look stupid, then again, we're going to have to agree to disagree. The OP received a very light slap on the hand, to which he went ballistic. So he and his ego have been duly noted. Were the shoe on the other foot, I would've humbled myself and agreed that I jumped the gun to the forum too quickly and that I should have taken more time to explore the app on my own before consulting experts. But that's just me, I guess.

Good day, sir.

D

I currently have four drones registered with transport Canada. I’ve been flying drones for 11 years. Chances are high then I’m a significantly better pilot than you are. Do you own a Z3 camera or any kind of zoom? How does touching that button open up a whole New World. For me your post and response is belligerent. I sure hope this inspire pilots forum doesn’t turn out to be polluted with nonsensical attitudes. I’ve been a member of forums since the Internet was invited like I said before. There is a lot of great forums where people help each other out… manufacturing forums, bmw forums, lambo forums. I’ve seen a lot of smart posts by a lot of smart people. The most helpful posts are by very smart people with great attitudes. It’s funny how you see agitators show up. I think I’m going to go ahead and bring the word troll back into this discussion and feel as though that I’m using it exactly correctly. I think good advice for you would be to seek some help in different ways. For my part since I am well educated an excellent at flying drones and understanding how they work, I will continue to move forward without paying heed to any advice from you. You should know that nothing that you say means anything to me since I would have to have respect for you first. I think that would be hard to muster up. So I’m going to go ahead and close my participation in this nonsense. I had a quick look at your other posts, I don’t think I’m the first one to use nonsense when it has to do with your opinion. Quite certainly I know I will not be the last person to use the word nonsense when it has to do with your opinion or perceptions. If you want to beat this topic up you can go ahead without me. My position: play nice and be helpful. If you require going on advocating for being rude, then knock yourself out.

badllama .... OP, if you are like me and adding the Inspire to the Phantom series, then we were both taken by Free mode being unique. We had not seen it before. Besides finding your post here I had also seen:
which discusses the three modes. The problem I have is understanding what triggers the moment in which the camera chooses to hold position in Free Mode. For example, I took the inspire out to a field to practice some moves. I had the Z3 on the drone. I was flying around in front of myself practicing and getting a feel of the inspire. The camera view was as I usually would expect to see it, facing forward following the drone direction. I was in Free mode. After getting a feel for my new stick settings, I positioned about 30 feet from a pair of small buildings. I started a manual orbit maneuver and the camera did not move with my movements, it stayed in the same position. I know now that this is what the behavior should be. What I do not understand is what triggers the camera to stay in position. It behaved like I had chosen a POI and stayed fixed on the spot. I do know that I had tapped the screen to initiate a focus. Up until that point, I did not notice the camera locking. For example, in this case, I lifted off with the drone facing away from myself, hovered as usual and then practiced stick movements to understand behavior. All that time the camera was following the direction the drone was facing. So what triggered the fixed position??? If you know, please tell me, If I find out, I will tell you if you like.

And there it is. Like I said, "Explore the Go App."

This forum should be your last resort when you've exhausted all options. Not your go-to because you're too lazy to try things.

Welcome to the forum.

D
Looking back at your posting history Donnie, you appear quick to “pounce” on someone who’s question does not meet your standard as appropriate. Are you trolling for these opportunities? I believe that this forum IS the place to help fellow Inspire pilots when they need it. What do you suggest that we restrict the conversation to? Give us your guidelines please.

Looking back at your posting history Donnie, you appear quick to “pounce” on someone who’s question does not meet your standard as appropriate. Are you trolling for these opportunities? I believe that this forum IS the place to help fellow Inspire pilots when they need it. What do you suggest that we restrict the conversation to? Give us your guidelines please.

It's too bad "reading" has become a lost skill set. I notice you have conveniently removed the context of my comment, so allow me to restore context:

1631387015275.png

So my initial advice to "explore the app" was SPOT ON. Finding the "little arrows" in the app takes a COUPLE MINUTES, TOPS.

Leave the slap on the hand alone so the guy can take a lesson from it and move on. Now he won't clog the forum with newbie questions that he discover on his own in minutes. You're welcome.

I can't help but wonder why you defend laziness so vehemently. Self reflect on that.

D

How are you liking your Z3? I’m considering getting on and would love some feedback! Thanks.
I think you were asking the OP but I am a fairly new owner of one and have taken time to use the Z3 quite a lot so I will give you some of that feedback you would like. I was interested in using it while shooting video but in he end I have come to conclude that dji’s comments that it is "optimized for still photography" is bang on. That is fine with me because I can make very good use of it taking photos. If you have realistic expectations about how far you can zoom then you will likely be happy as well. I don't like digital zoom on pretty much anything so I am attaching an example picture I took with the Z3 at max optical zoom. This was taken with the drone about 35 feet away from the structure. I hope this helps out.

Cell Photo  HDR resize.jpg

I think you were asking the OP but I am a fairly new owner of one and have taken time to use the Z3 quite a lot so I will give you some of that feedback you would like. I was interested in using it while shooting video but in he end I have come to conclude that dji’s comments that it is "optimized for still photography" is bang on. That is fine with me because I can make very good use of it taking photos. If you have realistic expectations about how far you can zoom then you will likely be happy as well. I don't like digital zoom on pretty much anything so I am attaching an example picture I took with the Z3 at max optical zoom. This was taken with the drone about 35 feet away from the structure. I hope this helps out.

View attachment 31688
Syazoo thanks for the reply. At this point I’m just looking for any input from any current owner to make sure I am correct in investing my money. The image looks what I would have expected. I do appreciate your post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84