Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA North Carolina Regs

Reaction score
Just learned NCDOT (Dept. of Transportation), Division of Aviation is requiring an on line test to be certified in NC.
Has anyone taken this test? What does it cover? More Permits...More Paperwork..More..More...More!
Thanks..

Yes and it’s easy. It’s an open book test. You can print off the material and take it online at your house. There is no charge for the test either. When you’re done you just print off your card.

Reactions: licensed pilot
Test is easy. Be careful over there around those mountains, don't get anyone in your shot that you don't know if you are going to publish your work. :)
Say hello to the Spoon Lady if you see her.. *

Thanks for the info. Fly mostly in the Piedmont but in summer visit the Mountains.
Beautiful shots up there, mountains and rivers. Safe flying!

Just learned NCDOT (Dept. of Transportation), Division of Aviation is requiring an on line test to be certified in NC.
Has anyone taken this test? What does it cover? More Permits...More Paperwork..More..More...More!
Thanks..

I have taken abs passed the test. They had an online study guide when I took it. If you passed your 107 you should have no problem. It wasn't the bad getting everything done.

The question is whether ANY state can require passing a UAV test to permit flight in FAA NAS. I think that this goes beyond the authority of a state government. And today it is 'open book', and then they will become more creative with a more difficult exam. The big question is whether they are planning to create an exam requirement for manned aircraft to fly in NC?

The question is whether ANY state can require passing a UAV test to permit flight in FAA NAS. I think that this goes beyond the authority of a state government. And today it is 'open book', and then they will become more creative with a more difficult exam. The big question is whether they are planning to create an exam requirement for manned aircraft to fly in NC?

They can, and the FAA has stated that local and state laws must be followed.

Thanks for the input. Thus, what has changed at the federal level from the 12/17/2015 Fact Sheet issued by the Office of General Counsel (FAA) that 'in part' states:

'Courts have found that state regulation pertaining to mandatory training and equipment requirements related to aviation safety is not consistent with the federal regulatory framework.'

The Fact Sheet continues with a listing of acceptable sample issues that can be locally regulated. UAS registration and pilot registration and airspace regulation are not included and are beyond the intent of the federal law.

On January 14, 2019 the US Department of Transportation (FAA) announced proposed new rules and a pilot project to integrate UAS (aka drones) safely into the National Airspace System (NAS). Through September the USDT (FAA) will be accepting comments regarding these new proposed rules. I am certainly open to hear of any revision of FAA rules or Congressional law changes that allow local jurisdictions to require and enforce local testing and permitting beyond the present Part 61 and Part 107 requirements (for commercial purposes).

Regarding the requirement for local laws to be followed is true, BUT the local laws that the FAA referenced are related to 'land use, zoning, privacy, trespass, and law enforcement operations'. These are generally not subject to federal regulation.

The NC study guide specifically says the FAA controls the NAS.
Best I can figure since you take off and land in NC the state Department of
Transportation says they can regulate you. The test isn’t that bad and
,so far, it’s free. More Bureaucracy!
BTW our Raleigh City Council decided to get into Drone Enforcement.
They were trying to regulate the sky until they found out that’s the FAAs
Job and have no jurisdiction. Instead they regulate which city parks
you can fly in. Good compromise.

Thanks Planter for the info. Glad to hear the current regs are reasonable. That said, I sense 'mission creep'. I would imagine that every time there is some sort of issue or complaint that the governing body will revisit the regs and add more to them. In time, no one will likely recognize the original rules. And for other jurisdictions (cities, counties or states) this sets a precedence that will be used as the 'starting blocks' to regulations that are actually under the authority of the FAA. My two bits.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo