Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Notifying untowered Class E airports

Reaction score
I thought if I was within 5miles of a class E airport I needed to notify them by FAA part 107 rules with details of where im going to be at. I have done this when required and everytime I call these guys it seems like they have no clue Im suppose to notify them. Is there any other part of this process besides a phone call right now?

I thought if I was within 5miles of a class E airport I needed to notify them by FAA part 107 rules with details of where im going to be at. I have done this when required and everytime I call these guys it seems like they have no clue Im suppose to notify them. Is there any other part of this process besides a phone call right now?

You are confusing old rules with part 107.
The only procedure today is either LAANC or Drone Portal to fly in controlled airspace. Towers are not, technically, allowed to give verbal authorization . Although, I've heard others say they have done so. Apparently the FAA dudes don't always follow their own rules.
Are you 107 certificated?

You are confusing old rules with part 107.
The only procedure today is either LAANC or Drone Portal to fly in controlled airspace. Towers are not, technically, allowed to give verbal authorization . Although, I've heard others say they have done so. Apparently the FAA dudes don't always follow their own rules.
Are you 107 certificated?
I am. I thought controlled airspace was only towered class E, untowered class E is what im talking about. I could be wrong but I thought you were required to notify the untowered class E. I will be using the portal now, I was unaware of it.

90a7bf7bdb80ebc07789bf4edbdfa4d1.jpg

DLL and the two immediately next to it are the main ones im dealing with. All three are untowered, despite that I thought im still required to get authorization.

Do u recall the Class E floors? 700 ft versus 1200?
There is your answer. Here's a good review

Yes I do. If you only need authorization when its class E that starts at the SFC, why does that goofy B4Ufly app tell you authorization is needed within 5 miles of ANY airport. There putting out misinformation. I studied solidly for the test for 6months and took a break for a month. I did some review but not alot and decided to test first and see what I was up against. I ended up passing and I was somewhat suprised. I have an IT background though and took several Microsoft exams in the late 90s, Im use to these type of tests. Most 107 certified pilots ive talked to said the test was really tough, I didnt think so. I thought it was nothing compared to a Microsoft networking exam. I fly professionally in WI so winter is non existent for work so pardon me for trying to brush up on this stuff when the weather is finally getting decent. Notice the word decent since we havent went over the 80s yet and last week it was 50.

Yes I do. If you only need authorization when its class E that starts at the SFC, why does that goofy B4Ufly app tell you authorization is needed within 5 miles of ANY airport. There putting out misinformation. I studied solidly for the test for 6months and took a break for a month. I did some review but not alot and decided to test first and see what I was up against. I ended up passing and I was somewhat suprised. I have an IT background though and took several Microsoft exams in the late 90s, Im use to these type of tests. Most 107 certified pilots ive talked to said the test was really tough, I didnt think so. I thought it was nothing compared to a Microsoft networking exam. I fly professionally in WI so winter is non existent for work so pardon me for trying to brush up on this stuff when the weather is finally getting decent. Notice the word decent since we havent went over the 80s yet and last week it was 50.
I'm absolutely not judging you, if I came across that way I apologize. I was trying to help you w/o giving you the answer. You will find out most commercial 107 pilots avoid apps. The only official source for identifying airspace are Sectional aeronautical charts(free at skyvector.com). 107 pilots must become familiar with sectionals.
B4Ufly was intended for hobbyists.

If I were king of the world, I'd drop all the METAR, TAF nonsense, airport runway markings, and all other nonsense and make the 107 exam heavy on sectionals.

Do u recall the Class E floors? 700 ft versus 1200?
There is your answer. Here's a good review

I've also had the experience of despite being in class G the DJI geofencing comes up. I guess that is an entirely different ballgame and seems built on its own vs being built along with 107 regulations. I started with a Mavic Air which my dog doesn't even notice going up, the Inspire 2 is entirely different animal with getting noticed in the air. Its a much larger heavier craft hence why Im really making sure what I need to do legally. I do this on the side right now and Im hoping that it goes into something permanent, so again im brushing up and making sure instead of just being a dummy and ignoring what is correct and proper. Thats why im here so thanks to anyone who has helped with clarity.

I'm absolutely not judging you, if I came across that way I apologize. I was trying to help you w/o giving you the answer. You will find out most commercial 107 pilots avoid apps. The only official source for identifying airspace are Sectional aeronautical charts(free at skyvector.com). 107 pilots must become familiar with sectionals.
B4Ufly was intended for hobbyists.

If I were king of the world, I'd drop all the METAR, TAF nonsense, airport runway markings, and all other nonsense and make the 107 exam heavy on sectionals.

I agree and thanks for the help.

I am also a professional pilot. I never use the B4UFly app. Besides the DJI Go4 app, the two other apps I primarily use are the KityHawk and Litchi apps. You can get immediate LAANC approval (where available) within the KityHawk app.

When preparing to fly in restricted airspace I apply for a waiver to fly at least 400 feet AGL through the FAA portal. Once the waiver is approved, you need to make sure that you go to DJI fly safe portal and apply for an unlock (simple process, but you must know your "flight controller SN" to make sure that when you get on the location you will be able to fly. Having a waiver does not mean you will be able to automatically fly in that area. Been there done that.

Once you have done both you will be able to fly. This is particularly important when you are attempting to fly in a NFZ or a zone with 100' ceiling restriction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool