Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

NVidia shield Tablet recall due to battery defect...

Hmmmmm......interesting.
So Nvidia have acknowledged there is a real problem and danger that the existing tablet batteries can overheat and cause damage/fire and everyone is getting a replacement and advised not to use their device.
However, it's perfectly OK to package the old one up, in flammable packaging (cardboard) and send it back via courier or post where the device contains an already confirmed faulty lipo. I wonder if the carriers are aware of this danger? Have they been informed by Nvidia they are carrying hazardous products?

Nice going Nvidia! :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm......interesting.
So Nvidia have acknowledged there is a real problem and danger that the existing tablet batteries can overheat and cause damage/fire and everyone is getting a replacement and advised not to use their device.
However, it's perfectly OK to package the old one up, in flammable packaging (cardboard) and send it back via courier or post where the device contains an already confirmed faulty lipo. I wonder if the carriers are aware of this danger? Have they been informed by Nvidia they are carrying hazardous products?

Nice going Nvidia! :rolleyes:
And as if by magic my replacement has just arrived as I was reading this post. They are sending out the return packaging as seen in the attached pic.

0c7f007e45b8331abd8e18f6397a6b57.jpg

And as if by magic my replacement has just arrived as I was reading this post. They are sending out the return packaging as seen in the attached pic.

0c7f007e45b8331abd8e18f6397a6b57.jpg
Excellent - Some gravel for your fish tank, some pink tissue paper (in case you wanted to try and play the comb), a ziplock freezer bag for some burgers and some instructions on how to set up and aquarium in the back of a DHL van :p.

Sorry - my sarcasm again!!! - Looks like they are being sensible and packaging vermiculite to send back the dodgy tablets.
Well done Nvidia.

Reactions: Busch and AndrewH
I just received my new replacement yesterday, and haven't turn it on yet. You guys think if I flash my old shield with custom firmware, can I keep the old shield and NOT return it to them?

Sent from my S Edge

I have turned my new one on and installed all the software. Both are logged on as the same google account on the tablet and both are still working. I wonder how often replacement nvidia shields go "missing" on their way back to them hehe. ;-)

so who hasn't sent their shields back yet? I haven't but then again I haven't turned the new one on yet!

According to this thread:

Recieved Shield Tablet recall replacement today • /r/nvidia

the old tablet will download a "Kill Update" and fail to power on at some point (four days later in this author's case). Disabling WiFi (or other connectivity issue) would apparently prevent the Kill Update, but unless the battery is replaced, the old one is still apparently dangerous. As someone mentioned, Nvidia wouldn't be sending out free replacements if it wasn't a real issue:

mTp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont