Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Off To Good Homes

$79-$99 for something one can make with foam core and tape for about $5? Whoa!

A lot of people make them from foam core and tape. I've been there and done that. Of course it looked like I used foam core and tape on my $3400 machine, and it also worked like I used foam core and tape. I understand that this is not an item that a lot of people will see value in. However, there are professionals out there that find it important to have something that works and looks good in front of your clients. The price for the item is derived from, industrial printer cost, material cost, general maintenance on the printer and the fact that each one takes over 13-hours to print.

Reactions: qbizzy
I understand it is a free enterprise, I made mine in 4 hours on my 3d printer and it cost me $6.88 to build. hmmm thats like a 600% mark up at that rate you should be able to pay for the 3d printer in no time...;) Happy Flying

Last edited:
Reactions: douglas
I understand it is a free enterprise, I made mine in 4 hours on my 3d printer and it cost me $6.88 to build. hmmm thats like a 600% mark up at that rate you should be able to pay for the 3d printer in no time...;) Happy Flying

If I said in my video it takes five hours that was a complete flub. To build all five parts for the iPad Air takes 13 hours. I can reduce that down to 11 by decreasing the infill to nearly nothing. The iPad mini takes 9.

Do you print them in ABS or PLA? Didn't see the info last time I checked.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

If I said in my video it takes five hours that was a complete flub. To build all five parts for the iPad Air takes 13 hours. I can reduce that down to 11 by decreasing the infill to nearly nothing. The iPad mini takes 9.

Stacy, no disrespect meant here, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the mark up, and I do understand that it takes skill and time to develop the design ect, looks like a good product.. Good luck with your enterprise.

Stacy, no disrespect meant here, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the mark up, and I do understand that it takes skill and time to develop the design ect, looks like a good product.. Good luck with your enterprise.

I'm sorry for being so defensive. It seems like every time I put something up somebody talks about the price. It is expensive, I know that, but when you add in the years learning 3D design, the hours to print, the cost of material, printer and maintenance it adds up. I appreciate your kindness in coming back to the forum and responding. Again sorry for being so defensive.

Reactions: Drone Mastery
Do you print them in ABS or PLA? Didn't see the info last time I checked.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Kilrah,

I like to print in ABS but it is so finicky that we have started using PLA or HIPS. HIPS has the highest glass point of those three filament types which means it holds up better in heat, however it does not do well with cleaners, which shouldn't be an issue. It can however be disolved by pledge or any other cleaner using lemonene as the cleaning agent. ABS would be second but for large items like this it tends to curl on the corners and causes a lot of failed prints. PLA would be my choice behind HIPS for printing, it's just got a low glass point and I'm afraid it could be questionable in hot environments. If you would like to order one you are welcome to pick the filament you would like it constructed from.

Thanks,
Stacy

OK, just asking because I designed a hood for a friend and printed it in PLA, and it didn't even last a day.
He had to park has car in the sun for a couple of hours, and when he came back the hood was replaced by a "nice" pile of warped plastic.

I can imagine. I've not tested them in this hot sun. I don't know that any would hold up well in the hot car environment. Of course I wouldn't want to have my batteries shut up in a hot car either.

The good news for most of the ones we sell is that it can be packed away inside of a case which will reduce the warping and hopefully keep it cooler. I've used mine here in the Hot Alabama sun at a golf course recently and there were no issue. Worked perfectly.

Stacy,
I'm going to assume you have not run mine yet... ;)
Please make mine ordered June 15th (Ref order #1782) out of ABS or HIPS... :cool:
I'll keep what you said about cleaning it in mind going forward if you use HIPS...
I'm aware of the issues with ABS curl and this is a big part... so I understand why you said that...
Just asking you avoid PLA on my stuff ordered... :cool:

Stacy,
I'm going to assume you have not run mine yet... ;)
Please make mine ordered June 15th (Ref order #1782) out of ABS or HIPS... :cool:
I'll keep what you said about cleaning it in mind going forward if you use HIPS...
I'm aware of the issues with ABS curl and this is a big part... so I understand why you said that...
Just asking you avoid PLA on my stuff ordered... :cool:

John,

I got you. I suggest HIPS because of the higher glass point, even higher than ABS. ABS is also pretty shiny while HIPS tends to be more of a flat color. So not as much shine. Just make sure you clean it with Water...

Thanks,
Stacy

I'm sorry for being so defensive. It seems like every time I put something up somebody talks about the price. It is expensive, I know that, but when you add in the years learning 3D design, the hours to print, the cost of material, printer and maintenance it adds up. I appreciate your kindness in coming back to the forum and responding. Again sorry for being so defensive.

"A giant ship engine failed. The ship’s owners tried one expert after another, but none of them could figure but how to fix the engine.
Then they brought in an old man who had been fixing ships since he was young.
He carried a large bag of tools with him, and when he arrived, he immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.
Two of the ship’s owners were there, watching this man, hoping he would know what to do.
After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something.
Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away. The engine was fixed!
A week later, the owners received a bill from the old man for ten thousand dollars.
“What?!” the owners exclaimed. “He hardly did anything!”
So they wrote the old man a note saying, “Please send us an itemized bill.”
The man sent a bill that read:
Tapping with a hammer $2.00
Knowing where to tap $9,998.00"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido