Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

"Official" initiation into the UAV community?

Reaction score
I was out this past Saturday getting some aerial footage for a friend who's actively involved, and quite accomplished himself in, triathlon events. I'm very new to both videography and UAV piloting (though I've had several RC planes in years past,) and tend to err well on the side of caution. When you couple that with crowds lining both sides of the narrow park road, the pace of the racers, ubiquitous trees and powerlines, i was pretty clanked and needless to say my video fell woefully short of anything that can be called "dynamic."

So yesterday I find an old dead end country road with trees on one side and open field on the other, volunteer my son to be a moving target, er, subject, and set up the aircraft to practice filming moving subjects using course lock and waypoints. After several passes and one dead battery, I thought it would be good to reverse the rolls and allow my son to film my out-of-shape self lumbering down the road.

No sooner than the aircraft got off the ground, there come approaching headlights. Who could this be?
OI%205_zpspgrbggit.png

I'd already been treated to a drive-by from presumably one of the neighbors so it wasn't hard to figure out:
OI%201_zpswp5yafyf.jpg

What's better than being approached by one of Orange County's Finest? Why, being approached by two:
OI%202_zpsrctxtejw.jpg

Apparently the first officer called for some "blackup."
OI%203_zpsfczhsufm.jpg

I shared with the officers exactly what I was doing there and they didn't have a problem with it but of course because the neighbors did, they were obliged to ask me to leave. Seeing the veiled curiosity, I explained that I only had a few minutes of battery left and would they mind if I finished it out. It wasn't a hard sell and basically was walking through the capabilities of the aircraft and how I was trying to get it to do what I wanted.
OI%204_zpsuk9n853v.jpg

In that time a second call came in from the pushy/ aggravated homeowner who is just bent on everyone being as miserable as they are, and the officer got chewed out because we were still there! Oh well. Time's up, aircraft put away, and we thanked them for their service on the way out.

So question: How much "street cred" did I get out this event from being, *ahem* "harassed by the authorities?"

If you were on a public road the officers have no right chasing you away. (Assuming you're not harassing the locals, that's were they come in.) and if your'e playing by FAA rules/regs.... i say fly! Their will always be a scrooge at the Christmas party... so enjoy anyway!

As you may know, the weak knee politicians passed a pissy law here in Florida. All you have to do is be careful what you video and you will be good to go. If you read it it's not worth the paper it's written on. It depends on what the word is is!! By the way, I'm in St Cloud

Yep if you fly a lot, you will get those 'get off my lawn!' types. Most of the time people who approach me while flying are super curious and think its the coolest thing ever. Once in a while you'll get a jackass who is just one of those types to complain about anything and everything (everybody knows one). Not much you can do if you are flying legally except explain that you indeed are flying legally. I just say my battery only lasts about fifteen minutes, so I will be out of your hair shortly. Tends to calm them down.

Just the other day I had an old lady yelling at me from across the street I was flying. I was in an open park and getting some scenics with literally nobody in sight and this woman comes out of nowhere and starts yelling at me. Clearly she was a few sandwiches short of a picnic so I didn't argue with her, basically just maintained that I was doing nothing wrong and will be leaving shortly.

Apparently she was headed to city hall to report me to the mayor. As of yet I have received no call from the mayor...

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
If I was a little more invested in that location at the time I may have made an effort to stand my ground, but we were about wrapped up and the first time is a novelty anyways.

Reactions: gruvpix
I live fairly rural...there is a newer housing development on the other side of the county road I live on. I fly my Inspire One occasionally on my property (I have a few acres) and no one has a problem with it (neighbors next to me anyways)...one of the folks in the development on the other side of the county road apparently called the sheriff's department on me last weekend. I was out front doing yard work, saw the cruiser over at his place....saw him and the deputy standing in his yard gesturing towards my house and pointing in the air, pantomiming my last flight.

Deputy stopped at my place after for a short chat....just letting me know the guy called. Deputy said he and his kids have a Phantom 3 Advanced....pretty much said he explained to the guy that under current Ohio law there is nothing unlawful about me flying a drone.

Was a good interaction...but yeah, there is always someone who wants to spoil the party.

Yes, you passed the right of passage into the UAV fellowship. I've been approached on many occasions and they usually don't have a clue about what is legally permissible. Better part of valor is to back off and let "Barney" have his/her way. Worst are state wildlife officials who think they can apply the federal regulations to state lands at their whim.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
We made a fireworks video last 4th of July at the St Cloud Lake Front. Got permission from the City Manager to set up right at the boat ramp where City Police and Sheriff's had set up and they were really impressed. They got all my information for a demo but nothing ever came of it. Link to video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hubnetix