Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Online Flight-Record Converter Tool (CSV/KML/Images)

Reaction score
Hello Inspire users,

in my freetime I created a small online tool to convert the DJI Inspire Flight Records written by the Pilot App to detailed CSV-Files, extract the 4 moments that were captured during the flight and to create a KML-File for import into Google Earth to show the flight route of your aircraft and the RC position on the ground.

To use it, you need either need to sync your Flight Records with the DJI cloud and login into the website http://thecutter.net/djiconverter/ with your DJI/SkyPixel account that is used in your DJI Pilot App. No Login information is saved!

Or you can upload single Flight Records and convert them without logging in to skypixel.

Sample KML-File loaded into Google Earth:
sample.jpg

List of Flight Records:
gui.jpg

And a sample ZIP-Package created by the tool can be found here:
http://thecutter.net/djiconverter/downloads/sample.zip

If you find any bugs or have problems using the tool, feel free to contact me!

The project is not related to DJI!
If you like it you are free to donate for my work on this project.

Excellent utility. Unfortunately, the use of commas (,) for decimal points (.) and semi-colons ( ; ) as column separators instead of <tab> or comms makes it impossible to import the CSV files into Apple's spreadsheet app Numbers. CSV does stand for COMMA separated variables.

Very useful - thanks very much! One thing I noticed (which of course is understandable) is that the elevation / ground level is shifted, but relatively it looks cool.

Excellent utility. Unfortunately, the use of commas (,) for decimal points (.) and semi-colons ( ; ) as column separators instead of <tab> or comms makes it impossible to import the CSV files into Apple's spreadsheet app Numbers. CSV does stand for COMMA separated variables.

Too bad for Apple users ;)
In Microsoft Excel you can define the separator character.

Unfortunately, the use of commas (,) for decimal points (.) and semi-colons ( ; ) as column separators instead of <tab> or comms makes it impossible to import the CSV files into Apple's spreadsheet app Numbers.

You could open the csv in a text editor and search & replace those characters with tabs.

For Apple Mac users with Numbers the following simple edit in TextEdit will make the CSV readable:
  • Open downloaded .csv file in TextEdit.
  • Type Cmd+F
  • Type , (comma) in find
  • Tick Replace
  • Type . (decimal point/period) in replace
  • Click on All
  • Type ; (semi-colon) in find
  • Type , (comma) in replace
  • Click on All
  • Save file
  • Open .csv file in Numbers
There are lots of parameters recorded and plenty of information to see but it is worth it if you are examining, for example, battery status during flight.

I will be donating.

Ok, I changed the decimal point character to "." instead of ",".
But the CSV separator still is ";".

Ok, I changed the decimal point character to "." instead of ",".
But the CSV separator still is ";".
You need to do 2 swaps to make the CSV file compatible with Numbers as set out above. You need to replace the European decimal point (the comma) with the UK/USA one (fullstop/period) as you have done. Then you need to change the ';' 'separator' (semi-solon) with commas (',') or Tabs (#A).

Thanks for the suggested Apple workaround.

Those who are PC-centric always have seem to have such interesting attitudes. It certainly cannot be because they prefer virus-ridden OSes and inferior computers. It seems odd? I found it humorous that for years (not sure about this since 2012) the Evil Empire (MS) used an entire floor of Macs to do their PC software development in WA, because PCs were not as stable, fast or easy to use.

From what I've seen the Mac : PC user ratio of Inspire 1 pilots is at least 2 : 1 at this point in time. Anyone have actual stats?

Reactions: Scotflieger
You need to do 2 swaps to make the CSV file compatible with Numbers as set out above. You need to replace the European decimal point (the comma) with the UK/USA one (fullstop/period) as you have done. Then you need to change the ';' 'separator' (semi-solon) with commas (',') or Tabs (#A).

I know what I need to do, but I will not change it because you are the only one having problems with it and I already invested so much hours into the project.

If you want to import it to Apple Numbers just change the characters for yourself or you can make a donation and I will add something that allows easy import of the CSV file on Windows and OSX.

I know what I need to do, but I will not change it because you are the only one having problems with it and I already invested so much hours into the project.

If you want to import it to Apple Numbers just change the characters for yourself or you can make a donation and I will add something that allows easy import of the CSV file on Windows and OSX.
As a software engineer in my former life, I greatly appreciate the efforts and time you have put into decoding the data hidden in the DJI Inspire 1 DAT files. I made a donation this morning. The work around I posted above at #7 will allow Apple Numbers users to benefit from your excellent work.

Cutter: Sorry but I don't get it. How is this different fro the Flight Record display from the Pilot App? Am I missing something?
The data is identical to that you can replay on the Pilot App. What Cutter has done is decoded the DAT file format to enable a 3D representation of your flight to be viewed in Goggle Earth and for the raw data to be analysed and processed in Excel (PC) or Numbers (Mac) (once edited).

Cutter: Sorry but I don't get it. How is this different fro the Flight Record display from the Pilot App? Am I missing something?

It gives you access to the raw data thats hidden in the Flight Records stored on your mobile device.

The data is identical to that you can replay on the Pilot App. What Cutter has done is decoded the DAT file format to enable a 3D representation of your flight to be viewed in Goggle Earth and for the raw data to be analysed and processed in Excel (PC) or Numbers (Mac) (once edited).

I don't use the DAT files which came from the aircraft, would I use are the Flight Records (txt-files) stored on the mobile device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo