Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Operational Safety Case?

Reaction score
HI

Just wondering if anyone on here has every applied for one. Im trying to find an example that I can use as a guide. Had to turn a few jobs down lately since I would have had to get a OSC, but know very little about them.

Been trying to call the CAA but it seems they are never there to pick up the phone. It would also be good to know how long a OSC takes to be processed. Hard to quote for a job if you don't even know you will have the permission in time.

Cheers

B

I can't find it anywhere. The CAA have just stopped answering their phones as well. Nice.

I've got one down to 20/30m (take-off/flight) on my I1. Nothing fancy but you do need to have a good operational argument for how you are going to avoid going rogue and slicing the locals up.

HI

Just wondering if anyone on here has every applied for one. Im trying to find an example that I can use as a guide. Had to turn a few jobs down lately since I would have had to get a OSC, but know very little about them.

Been trying to call the CAA but it seems they are never there to pick up the phone. It would also be good to know how long a OSC takes to be processed. Hard to quote for a job if you don't even know you will have the permission in time.

Cheers

B
To give a few more specific answers. You are unlikely to find a completed OSC to use as a guide. The CAA template is just that, a template and one of the most difficult sections is the Safety Assessment since you don't know what they are looking for and what they will accept. You also need a bit of experience with writing this sort of document. I am assisting another company at the moment by re-writing their OM to get it up to an OSC. I couldn't (and wouldn't) do this for many organisations due to time constraints but I'm considering putting together a guide on how I gained my OSC. It would contain all the information and examples an organisation would need to get their own OSC together based on their current OM. It would NOT guarantee them a successful OSC application for a couple of reasons. 1. I'm not the CAA so I can't give that guarantee. 2. I don't know how good an organisation's OM is to begin with. It may have scraped by for a PfCO but may not be considered up to scratch for an OSC. 3. The OSC application depends on more than the book. The applicant must have good flight records and be able to show evidence of appropriate experience. Having said all that, I applied when I had only held a PfCO for 4 or 5 months - the prevailing wisdom was that you needed at least 12 months as a PfCO holder.

The Editor also pointed out that the CAA don't issue OSCs against the Inspire 1 because of lack of redundancy. Well, either the CAA's views in this regard have softened or a professionally written, well reasoned OSC did the trick.

Either way, I now hold an OSC on the Inspire 1 platform and the work I have picked up since getting it (less than 2 months) has more than covered my costs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris.thedude