Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

part 107

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly. Thus the FAA deemed the age current age stating for such license and risk level for a sUAS and went to the lower end.
You completely missed the point, my friend. Before any 16 yoa is permitted to solo (the first flight alone) the kid has to spend several hours in the cockpit with a flight instructor, not only demonstrating aircraft handling skills, but judgment and decision-making skills in routine and simulated emergencies.

No such procedures for a kid and his/her UAS....just fire her up and hope for the best. I am both a pilot and raised a teenager, both hazardous activities. :eek:

You completely missed the point, my friend. Before any 16 yoa is permitted to solo (the first flight alone) the kid has to spend several hours in the cockpit with a flight instructor, not only demonstrating aircraft handling skills, but judgment and decision-making skills in routine and simulated emergencies.

No such procedures for a kid and his/her UAS....just fire her up and hope for the best. I am both a pilot and raised a teenager, both hazardous activities. :eek:
Isn't the procedure the same for adults sir?

Not really if you read it they clearly stated why they chose 16 as opposed to a supervised 16.

I don't disagree with you but then again it is only your opinion

"clearly stated why they chose 16 as opposed to a supervised 16." Why?

Page 408,

"...The FAA disagrees with the recommendation that an applicant should be required to obtain an instructor endorsement to take the initial aeronautical knowledge test. While an instructor endorsement is generally required for part 61 pilot certificates, the significantly reduced risk associated with small UAS operations conducted under part 107 would make this framework unduly burdensome in this case. Instead, a stand-alone knowledge test is sufficient to verify the qualification of the remote pilot certificate applicant. Because the aeronautical knowledge test will determine whether an applicant possesses the knowledge needed to safely operate a small UAS, a separate flight instructor endorsement should not be required to take the knowledge test. The FAA also notes that the costs associated with failing and having to retake the knowledge test will provide an incentive to applicants to pick a method of study that maximizes the chance of them passing the aeronautical knowledge test on the first try..."

It is about the risk level my friend.

Then again you are entitled to your opinion.

Reactions: MacDyver
Page 408,

"...The FAA disagrees with the recommendation that an applicant should be required to obtain an instructor endorsement to take the initial aeronautical knowledge test. While an instructor endorsement is generally required for part 61 pilot certificates, the significantly reduced risk associated with small UAS operations conducted under part 107 would make this framework unduly burdensome in this case. Instead, a stand-alone knowledge test is sufficient to verify the qualification of the remote pilot certificate applicant. Because the aeronautical knowledge test will determine whether an applicant possesses the knowledge needed to safely operate a small UAS, a separate flight instructor endorsement should not be required to take the knowledge test. The FAA also notes that the costs associated with failing and having to retake the knowledge test will provide an incentive to applicants to pick a method of study that maximizes the chance of them passing the aeronautical knowledge test on the first try..."

It is about the Risk level my friend.
"It is about the Risk level my friend." No kidding. I understand that is what the feds decided, it was a judgment call and I strongly disagree, 16 is way too young, 18 is a more reasonable age. Written exams don't test judgment nor maturity.

"Isn't the procedure the same for adults sir?"
Not sure what that means. You mean the current process that allows only licensed pilots to fly UAS commercially?
They already demonstrated the skills I mentioned above.
You wrote "Before any 16 yoa is permitted to solo (the first flight alone) the kid has to spend several hours in the cockpit with a flight instructor, not only demonstrating aircraft handling skills, but judgment and decision-making skills in routine and simulated emergencies.". Isn't this the same procedure an adult would be required to undertake?

"It is about the Risk level my friend." No kidding. I understand that is what the feds decided, it was a judgment call and I strongly disagree, 16 is way too young, 18 is a more reasonable age. Written exams don't test judgment nor maturity.
agreed.

week-in-review-dave-franco-8.gif

You wrote "Before any 16 yoa is permitted to solo (the first flight alone) the kid has to spend several hours in the cockpit with a flight instructor, not only demonstrating aircraft handling skills, but judgment and decision-making skills in routine and simulated emergencies.". Isn't this the same procedure an adult would be required to undertake?
yes, and?

Did you submit a comment during the period to express your concern to the FAA when it was proposed?

Reactions: Outta Control
Question for you all. Please don't bite my head off.. I have an Inspire Pro, have been flying around as a hobbyist for months, now I'd like to incorporate aerial photos into my real estate shoots. Im in South Florida, if that makes a difference. What the difference between me getting a 333 exemption vs this new 107? I would like to shoot aerial photography of single family homes, condo buildings etc. I don't plan on flying directly over crowds of people. Any constructive opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Question for you all. Please don't bite my head off.. I have an Inspire Pro, have been flying around as a hobbyist for months, now I'd like to incorporate aerial photos into my real estate shoots. Im in South Florida, if that makes a difference. What the difference between me getting a 333 exemption vs this new 107? I would like to shoot aerial photography of single family homes, condo buildings etc. I don't plan on flying directly over crowds of people. Any constructive opinions would be greatly appreciated.

no worries. You would only need to obtain the Part 107 certificate and fly.

The 333 will still exist for governmental, closed filming use, and more but for your intended use the 107 is just for you.

Reactions: WBTRC
Please stop the witty retorts...
I am sorry about my reply I must have taken yours the wrong way. But seriously did you comment to the FAA? I just don't understand why you are concerned now when it has been out there for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hubnetix