Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

part 107

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truthfully? Never thought the Uber cautious FAA, the same FAA that permitted only licensed pilots to fly UAVs commercially, would ever allow 16 YOAs to fly commercial UAVs with some Mickey Mouse written test. I expected at least 18 as minimum age.

Truthfully? Never thought the Uber cautious FAA, the same FAA that permitted only licensed pilots to fly UAVs commercially, would ever allow 16 YOAs to fly commercial UAVs with some Mickey Mouse written test. I expected at least 18 as minimum age.

16-18 biologically it doesn't matter because a human brain doesn't fully develop till past 20 anyways but then again a 20 and 30 year can still act like a 16 year old on a sUAS.

Reactions: MacDyver
16-18 biologically it doesn't matter because a human brain doesn't fully develop till past 20 anyways but then again a 20 and 30 year can still act like a 16 year old on a sUAS.
AGREE 100%. That is why the feds don't allow 16 year old kids in the cockpit until and only when they demonstrate the required airmanship, maturity and judgment under the tutelage of a certified flight instructor...

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. The FAA required a licensed pilot because it sees drones as aircraft and aircraft flying within the National Airspace System require a license for commercial application unless a waiver exists. Part 107 is that waiver.
The 333 requirement had nothing to do with competency levels. It was all tha FAA had in its quiver to stay within the law as mandated by Congress.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. The FAA required a licensed pilot because it sees drones as aircraft and aircraft flying within the National Airspace System require a license for commercial application unless a waiver exists. Part 107 is that waiver.
The 333 requirement had nothing to do with competency levels. It was all tha FAA had in its quiver to stay within the law as mandated by Congress.
"It was all tha FAA had in its quiver to stay within the law as mandated by Congress."
Not exactly. The FAA could have grounded all UAS . The 333 requirement had EVERYTHING to do with competency levels.
The FAA Primary duty is the safety of the national airspace. We can play semantics games with 107 and 333 all day.

"It was all tha FAA had in its quiver to stay within the law as mandated by Congress."
Not exactly. The FAA could have grounded all UAS . The 333 requirement had EVERYTHING to do with competency levels.
The FAA Primary duty is the safety of the national airspace. We can play semantics games with 107 and 333 all day.
No because congress tasked the FAA to keep them flying because it is a multi billion industry and congress loves money

Reactions: slim.slamma
You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. The FAA required a licensed pilot because it sees drones as aircraft and aircraft flying within the National Airspace System require a license for commercial application unless a waiver exists. Part 107 is that waiver...

Wait...WHAT? A Waiver?

Hmmm lets seen...

Waiver: : the act of intentionally relinquishing or abandoning a known right, claim, or privilege; also: the legal instrument evidencing such an act

Might want to rethink that or please explain further.

No because congress tasked the FAA to keep them flying because it is a multi billion industry and congress loves money

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif
wtf014.gif

tumblr_m8on63i3iU1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Wait...WHAT? A Waiver?

Hmmm lets seen...

Waiver: : the act of intentionally relinquishing or abandoning a known right, claim, or privilege; also: the legal instrument evidencing such an act

Don't get hung up on the word waiver. Now we have Part 107 which allow you to fly drones accordingly. The FAA took a bunch of exemptions (333) or waivers and defined a Part (107) from it. Other things have influenced it of course

no worries. You would only need to obtain the Part 107 certificate and fly.

The 333 will still exist for governmental, closed filming use, and more but for your intended use the 107 is just for you.
Great, sounds good. Any idea how the process will work? I was the FAA site & followed some links and even found local
'testing centers" near me, but i can't find wha costs are associated with the 107 or when i can begin the process?

Great, sounds good. Any idea how the process will work? I was the FAA site & followed some links and even found local
'testing centers" near me, but i can't find wha costs are associated with the 107 or when i can begin the process?

The expected total expense for a Part 107 is approx $150 and more information will soon come along. It is expected to be a 3hr knowledge test with a 10% failure rate.

That is to take an online course much like Drone U or Drone University USA but to take it without any formal instruction the total cost is estimated to be around $150.
Did you read the whole thing?

How much does it cost to get a drone pilot certificate?
The FAA only charges $5 to get a commercial sUAS registration number.

Under Part 107, drone pilots are required to pass an FAA Aeronautical Knowledge exam. Traditionally, this kind of test has been administered through one of two companies, Computer Assisted Testing Service (CATS), and PSI / LaserGrade Computer Testing. As of December 2015, there are 696 FAA-approved knowledge testing centers across the United States.

The cost to take the aeronautical knowledge exam will likely be around $150 at a licensed testing center.

Other than that, there are no hard costs absolutely required to gain your drone pilot certificate from the FAA. Of course, if you’re building a drone business, you may want to look into drone liability insurance, which runs around $1000/year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool