Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Phantom Angel battery manager - 1 year later....

Reaction score
Hey doods!

So tomorrow marks the 1 year anniversary of the purchase of my Phantom Angel battery manager. So I thought I would write a review.

My model is the "dual" model. My particular "Dual" manages Inspire batteries and Phantom 4 Pro batteries.

First, the good...

Well constructed, this unit feels as good and sturdy as the day I purchased it. Piss-poor quality items like cheap buttons and crappy cables usually flush themselves out after a year or so of weekly use. While the toggle switches and momentary switch on the top still feel good as new, I did have an issue with the plastic P4P cable, which started failing within just a couple uses. Hard to describe, but the plastic hood on the 10-pin side became loose, which forced 8 of the 10 pins out of the housing.

1645740425017.png

I registered a complaint with Phantom Angel and they sent a new cable with a metal housing almost right away. I have been using that cable ever since.

The bad...

I already told you about the failed cable. If I had any other complaints, it would be with design. To toggle back and forth from Inspire battery to P4P battery one must change the cable, toggle the switch and change the light bulb. Changing the cable and toggling the switch isn't a big deal. But changing the bulb is a bit of a PITA. You have to wear rubber gloves so's not to contaminate the bulb's surface with skin oil. If I had my druthers, there would be two light sockets on the unit so one cold just leave both bulbs plugged in.

The discovered...

So generally speaking, the Phantom Angel "Storage mode" takes the battery down to about 65% capacity. Capacity can be confirmed by pressing the top battery button, which shows the user two solid LED's and one flashing LED. I have learned that as a battery's capacity diminishes, the Phantom Angel no longer discharges down to 65%, but will stop discharging closer to 75% (3 solid LED's instead of the two solid and one flashing). This tells the user that their battery may need to be refreshed or that it is worn and needs to be replaced. Sure enough, when I tried to fly one of the 75% batteries the cells in the Go App went into the red. So in this instance the Phantom Angel is not only a battery management tool, but it can also be a troubleshooting tool.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend the Phantom Angel to anybody who flies as much as I do. It makes managing batteries 10 times easier than flying until your battery reaches storage capacity. Not to mention that "not flying" equals longer drone life.

D

Last edited:
Hey doods!

So tomorrow marks the 1 year anniversary of the purchase of my Phantom Angel battery manager. So I thought I would write a review.

My model is the "dual" model. My particular "Dual" manages Inspire batteries and Phantom 4 Pro batteries.

First, the good...

Well constructed, this unit feels as good and sturdy as the day I purchased it. Piss-poor quality items like cheap buttons and crappy cables usually flush themselves out after a year or so of weekly use. While the toggle switches and momentary switch on the top still feel good as new, I did have an issue with the plastic P4P cable, which started failing within just a couple uses. Hard to describe, but the plastic hood on the 10-pin side became loose, which forced 8 of the 10 pins out of the housing.

View attachment 32212

I registered a complaint with Phantom Angel and they sent a new cable with a metal housing almost right away. I have been using that cable ever since.

The bad...

I already told you about the failed cable. If I had any other complaints, it would be with design. To toggle back and forth from Inspire battery to P4P battery one must change the cable, toggle the switch and change the light bulb. Changing the cable and toggling the switch isn't a big deal. But changing the bulb is a bit of a PITA. You have to wear rubber gloves so's not to contaminate the bulb's surface with skin oil. If I had my druthers, there would be two light sockets on the unit so one cold just leave both bulbs plugged in.

The discovered...

So generally speaking, the Phantom Angel "Storage mode" takes the battery down to about 65% capacity. Capacity can be confirmed by pressing the top battery button, which shows the user two solid LED's and one flashing LED. I have learned that as a battery's capacity diminishes, the Phantom Angel no longer discharges down to 65%, but will stop discharging closer to 75% (3 solid LED's instead of the two solid and one flashing). This tells the user that their battery may need to be refreshed or that it is worn and needs to be replaced. Sure enough, when I tried to fly one of the 75% batteries the cells in the Go App went into the red. So in this instance the Phantom Angel is not only a battery management tool, but it can also be a troubleshooting tool.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend the Phantom Angel to anybody who flies as much as I do. It makes managing batteries 10 times easier than flying until your battery reaches storage capacity. Not to mention that "not flying" equals longer drone life.

D
I’ve had the same experience with mine and I’m very pleased with it.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hey Donnie! Just came across your review (late to the party, I know :) Thanks for the review and thanks for the feedback. Really glad the Angel's been useful for over a year now!
Hey Alex,
I'm late for the same party. I just ordered your PA for my Inspire 1 batteries. Looking forward to using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido