Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Phantom vs Inspire

I hope there is more to come as this video doesn't fill me with hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope there is more to come as this video doesn't fill me with hope
What more were you looking for? I really think that's the extent of the differences, especially since they'll both use the same app.

To some people (like those in the professional photography/videography world), these differences sound worlds apart. To the average person who just wants an aerial camera for fun, the changes seem negligible. Only you can decide where you fall between those two.

Reactions: Ferdi
What more were you looking for? I really think that's the extent of the differences, especially since they'll both use the same app.

To some people (like those in the professional photography/videography world), these differences sound worlds apart. To the average person who just wants an aerial camera for fun, the changes seem negligible. Only you can decide where you fall between those two.

I believe what cburns really means is for DJI to aggress why and how do they see each "professional" platform (Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Professional) are ranked in DJI's eyes as their Tier 1 product.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion I myself love the I1. It is a fun, and very capable tool for not only aerial videography/photography.

I am with cburns and that I would have liked DJI to look directly at their customer base and clearly define what is their top tier model and as such make a not only a verbal commitment but more of a regular roadpath update notification for the Inspire 1 if it is truly their tier one product. All that video really showed is the known differences already.

Last edited:
Although he did call the inspire the prosumer/professional line when he was talking about the modular design.

As I have said before it's not surprising the camera was included.The inclusion of light bridge was however, a little shocking given that they sold it for $1000-1300 and now it's included in a $1200 drone. I think a lot of people are worried that DJI does not plan to support the inspire given all the features included on the PIII. for the people who bought this as a business investment this is concerning given the short time the product has been out.

As a hobbyist I love mine, I mean it looks like a bird of prey and is extremely agile and fast in the air and takes beautiful camera shots. I think if DJ will convey that they plan to support and continue development of the I1 I a lot of the controversy will settle down.

Couple comments:

- Ed is an old guy like me. Never realized :)
- "The P3 flies longer" with "the same camera". Umm. Not helpful for us Inspire guys looking to feel better about our investment.

I to am wondering where dji is going with the PIII. I started with the P1, sold and moved to the P2 Vision, sold and moved to the P2 FPV with GoPro 4. Now have the Inspire 1 and it is impressive. Definitely the most stable platform and a pleasure to fly. Sold the P1 and P2 Vision immediately after posting on Craigslist. Also posted the P2 FPV with Gopro 4 and not a single offer. Interesting time in the dji world.

thats the first time I have seen the P3, I was expecting it to have been facelifted or something, not just have a 4k camera stuck under it.

I can honestly say I would go with a p2 go pro over the p3 from seeing that, you can use the go pro in a variety of other ways if you need to......

I cant wait for the handheld controller for the I1 gimbal to come out, that will make it much more versatile. Honestly, the biggie for me about the inspire is that it looks cool. People dont look at it and say " oh thats the one that crashed into the whitehouse" (ie it doesnt have as much bad press yet)
and you have no landing gear that gets in the way.

I also think that video made it clear that DJI intends to make further payloads for the inspire. If that happens then its a winner

Before anyone jumps to conclusion I myself love the I1. It is a fun, and very capable tool for not only aerial videography/photography.

I am with cburns and that I would have liked DJI to look directly at their customer base and clearly define what is their top tier model and as such make a not only a verbal commitment but more of a regular roadpath update notification for the Inspire 1 if it is truly their tier one product. All that video really showed is the known differences already.

I think this should be a required statement when discussing this p3 vs i1 topic...I've said somethings that people don't like and I think they assume I don't like the Inspire, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyway I agree with ya...but the Phantom series is the companies money maker, they'll easily make 3,4,5, pick a number and multiply it off what they made from the Inspire. So while yes during the announcement, i myself was a little butt hurt about the p3 and all it's features and after the multiple discussions that I took part in during and shortly after that cheesy *** premiere. I remembered that they are in the business to make money, plain and simple and they will sell A LOT of p3's when compared to the Inspire. I hope that they don't forget the i1 but I'm not expecting much short of app updates and firmware.

I don't get why people who bought the I1 (like me - I have 2 now) are worried about the P3 release. The video above clears it up pretty well, as well.

The P3 is aimed directly at the consumer market and the image capability from the camera is as good as the I1, currently.
The I1 is aimed at entry level professional market and the platform is modular.

The aircrafts are quite different. The I1 gives you full 360 degree rotation from the gimbal and works independently from the orientation of the aircraft, which the P3 doesn't. If you don't intend to use this, and you're not concerned about updating the camera, you won't need an I1. Simple.

The major advantage that the P3 has over the I1 in my opinion is that it's easily repaired following a crash. The I1 is not currently.

I expect DJI will soon lower the I1 price and release a new camera. Probably selling the new I1, with the new camera at the price that the current I1 sells for alongside the reduced price I1 (to clear stock). This cycle will probably repeat over the coming years as new features are released. I'd be very happy to be able to buy the aircraft separately from the controllers and the camera / gimbal.

For what it's worth, I had a preorder in for the Phantom 3, but canceled it this morning and ordered an Inspire 1 instead. I realize some I1 owners are concerned that the P3 is encroaching on its big brother's turf, but as someone who owns zero DJI products, the I1 was still compelling enough for me to choose it over the P3.

For what it's worth, I had a preorder in for the Phantom 3, but canceled it this morning and ordered an Inspire 1 instead. I realize some I1 owners are concerned that the P3 is encroaching on its big brother's turf, but as someone who owns zero DJI products, the I1 was still compelling enough for me to choose it over the P3.
HERE HERE! I salute you!
Well done mate! You couldn't have made a better choice!
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to our passion!
Safe and happy flying!

Last edited:
I've owned the Vision Plus...terrible camera. Then spent a ton of money on system with the Phantom 2 and GoPro, FPV etc...and could not even turn the camera on and off from the ground. Then I purchased the Inspire and couldn't be more pleased. The weight and design of the craft alone make it so much more stable in higher winds...it flies much smoother and not having to worry about props in the shot is great. You get what you pay for.

Tahoe Ed can't be older than me...67...I think I might be the oldest Inspire owner out there.

Reactions: jkoertge
As I posted in another thread, my opinion is that the DJI offering is now confusing the market.
Professionals who shoot with Panasonic or Canon like me, need to purchase an S900 or S1000.
After that, we need also a more compact tool to shoot in tight or special conditions.... I1 is great but now we have the P3 with the same camera, less flight performance but for them there is the S1000.

So now for 1/3 the price there is the P3 option as a B drone that is biting the I1 appeal for professional market

Come on, people. How can anyone with half a brain look at these two birds side-by-side and think the Phantom (any number) is comparable in any way to the Inspire 1?

dji-inspire-1-hands-on-review-15.jpg

Reactions: sirnikolas
Come on, people. How can anyone with half a brain look at these two birds side-by-side and think the Phantom (any number) is comparable in any way to the Inspire 1?

ME... :)
if you fly to race or fun your thought is ok
if you fly for results (filming or photo)... they're quite the same as seen the camera and lightbridge are the same one

The P looks like a flying crab and the I1 looks like a Lamborghini of the skies!
Whilst on the subject of Lamborghinis, anyone know how the Lamborghini Aventador was named?
IMG-20150423-WA0004.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth