Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pilot app monitor - Serious delay and artifacts

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help with this.. I am attempting to use my Inspire 1 with the iPad mini 2. (still have 0.9.2 before it was pulled). Firmware is current. My real time monitor is delayed 5-10 seconds and is covered in blocky artifacts. It's basically unusable to get a shot (see attached). I've confirmed I'm using a blue channel, etc. My OSD info (height, etc) seems to update fairly close to real time, so the problem is with video stream only. Anyone know how to clear this up? I'm about to try an Android tab, but I'm skeptical as my signal strength is always so low...
IMG_3253.JPG

Thanks, but still no luck. On a whim, I went out and grabbed a Galaxy Tab S. Loaded up the Pilot App and what do you know? Performs FLAWLESSLY! I'm confused as many are reporting the iPad Mini 2 works fine. It was even listed as an approved device before the buried iOS support....

I use both tablets - ipad Mini 2 works fine. Don't know why it doesn't work for you. Have you tried wiping the ipad 2 clean and starting with a clean slate?

I use both tablets - ipad Mini 2 works fine. Don't know why it doesn't work for you. Have you tried wiping the ipad 2 clean and starting with a clean slate?

The iPad Mini is purchased brand new for use with the Inspire only, so I'd assume it's clean? I have not installed anything else on it.

Do you have any other apps running alongside? How much memory do you have on the iPad? Have you packed the available memory w/ apps? Just wonder if its on the processing end rather than the receiving data end.

Do you have any other apps running alongside? How much memory do you have on the iPad? Have you packed the available memory w/ apps? Just wonder if its on the processing end rather than the receiving data end.

I was accidentally sold the Mini basic (1?) because the box is identical. I have since exchanged for the Mini 2 and all is perfect!

Thanks, but still no luck. On a whim, I went out and grabbed a Galaxy Tab S. Loaded up the Pilot App and what do you know? Performs FLAWLESSLY! I'm confused as many are reporting the iPad Mini 2 works fine. It was even listed as an approved device before the buried iOS support....
...Jon, good to hear, i own a few aPpLe devices but have since Distanced myself from anything aPpLe.. own All the Galaxy Notes.. and have been eye-balling the Tab S (8.4) to dedicate for this purpose.. what is the model# of the Tab S you have.?? T700 / T705..?? again thanks for the nfo...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Last edited:
...Jon, good to hear, i own a few aPpLe devices but have since Distanced myself from anything aPpLe.. own All the Galaxy Notes.. and have been eye-balling the Tab S (8.4) to dedicate for this purpose.. what is the model# of the Tab S you have.?? T700 / T705..?? again thanks for the nfo...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Hey there - After using the Tab S on a few more flights, I have noticed the video feed is a little jumpy. Nothing too serious, but it is kind of annoying.
I was accidentally sold the Mini basic (1?) because the box is identical. I have since exchanged for the Mini 2 and all is perfect on that model. From my research, I've found that if you need to go Android, then look at the NVIDIA Shield. It's a tablet specifically for gaming, so it supposedly has the chops for video processing.

I was having the same issue with about a 1 minute lag on the video feed to my tablet (Nexus 7). I later found out that if I use the task manager to kill all the open apps that were running in the background, that solved the problem. You might want to give that a try.

You may not get the total abilities out using this tab. I don't think they have the full gps in them like nextus and apple. It didn't work on my phantom. Look at your 2 arrows.

Hey there - After using the Tab S on a few more flights, I have noticed the video feed is a little jumpy. Nothing too serious, but it is kind of annoying.
I was accidentally sold the Mini basic (1?) because the box is identical. I have since exchanged for the Mini 2 and all is perfect on that model. From my research, I've found that if you need to go Android, then look at the NVIDIA Shield. It's a tablet specifically for gaming, so it supposedly has the chops for video processing.
...Jon, Thx, what is the Model number of the Tab S you were using.. T700 or T705..?
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Hey Guys,

I am setting up and testing out my new Inspire 1 and I am having real video problems on the Mini 2. I have delay, locking and refreshing happening enough that it is tough for my gimbal operator to keep up. What we found out is that the video coming out of the HDMI port on the same transmitter is almost perfect. Just the slightest delay but acceptable. Has anyone else found this to be true? Is there something wrong with the IOS app? Nothing else is running on the Ipad. I have only installed the Pilot app and it is a dedicated unit which isn't running anything else.

Reactions: RJ Evans
Hey Guys,

I am setting up and testing out my new Inspire 1 and I am having real video problems on the Mini 2. I have delay, locking and refreshing happening enough that it is tough for my gimbal operator to keep up. What we found out is that the video coming out of the HDMI port on the same transmitter is almost perfect. Just the slightest delay but acceptable. Has anyone else found this to be true? Is there something wrong with the IOS app? Nothing else is running on the Ipad. I have only installed the Pilot app and it is a dedicated unit which isn't running anything else.

I suspect that you might not have hardware decode checked in the app. I had the same issue initially and when I checked the hardware decode, the video was fine on my Mini 2

Hey Guys,

My Mini 2 is running really solid. A couple things to consider - Turn off Wi-Fi/Cellular, put any cell phones in the vicinity into airplane mode, and properly position your antenna on the RC. Also, I had an issue where I thought I was sold a Mini 2, but it was actually a regular Mini (1?). The packages are basically identical, so it was easy to mix up.

THANK YOU MR. EVANS!!! That definitely made the delay much less. However, when I flew today to test we were still having trouble with the video hanging up from time to time. When we used a regular monitor plugged into the TX yesterday it would not hang up so I am still thinking there is a problem with the iOS app. It is definitely better but not as good as a regular old standard definition transmitter.

I confirmed that I am using a mini iPad 2. My phone and the iPads were all in airplane mode. We tried in a wide open field away from any houses. The lock up on the video seemed to happen when the coper was fairly close to overhead or when the copter was fighting the wind. Has anyone seen this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips