Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Possible Crash Smoking Gun

The only evidence that exists is an blocked error and and crash, I'm not hand waving over anything as everything else is pure speculation.

There are many many different things from a lose connector to a magnet failure, there is no evidence of any of them, pushing prop failure or bad FW is not factually correct just as none of them are.

One person having an Blocked motor error on he ground and attributing that to a completely different craft falling is jumping the canyon, that error is there for a reason and just like any error any multitude of cussed could produce it.

I have no issue with factual evidence of what caused it but let's not just blame the props or FW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's not blame the props or FW. Seriously? Even when the evidence points in that direction?

I'm sorry but if you have nothing to add to this effort please leave it alone.

I'm not sure of the point of your post. Hand waving over the evidence that exists doesn't make it go away.

It just means you are hand waving over the evidence that exists.

Nothing new for that guy, and if this sort of thing happens to him he will simply cry to Uncle Ed, and get another quad post haste. : )

You may discover after a while that all his responses are somewhat one sided, and usually favoring the manufacturer. He probably feels OJ is innocent as well. Too much fog.

There is nothing wrong or dishonorable about trying to research root cause.

But we have to follow the data wherever it leads.

Crash investigations are a game of evidence and probabilities.

The more data you have, the better. The data set here is tiny, only one case. But perhaps it's a start to try to understand what might be happening with the aircraft falling out of the sky.

Ian did a follow-the-data hunt on his own Phantom flyaway and crash and found a FW bug that DJI was able to fix. Phantom flyaways are now much less common an occurrence as a result.

http://www.ianwood.com/docs/anatomy-of-a-dji-flyaway-v1.pdf

Nothing new for that guy, and if this sort of thing happens to him he will simply cry to Uncle Ed, and get another quad post haste. : )

You may discover after a while that all his responses are somewhat one sided, and usually favoring the manufacturer. He probably feels OJ is innocent as well. Too much fog.

No I think he has more common sense than the typical Facebook type user;)

Ok I'm going to say this once and then delete everything in this post and start over elsewhere if this division continues :

This is NOT the thread to align the "defenders of DJI's honor" against the "unwashed masses of sheep who don't know what they're talking about".

This thread is about reporting the evidence of one crash and a rally call for more data. Plain and simple.

If you find yourself unable to contribute to the effort and find an uncontrollable desire to politicize this along pro-DJI/anti-DJI lines, please take it elsewhere.

It is in ALL our best interests to dig deep on crashes and help identify cause. DJI and your own aircraft have benefitted before from such efforts. I think it's time to rally around a non-partisan effort to do it again.

For anyone willing to help contribute data or ideas, experiments or other valuable contributions to this effort, thank you.

Last edited:
What ever man, you guys can think what ever you like, make up stories its good with me, but nowhere did I say DJI was not at fault I'm only questioning the evidence of the actual cause.

No need to get personal or defensive when you don't like what's being posted.

Nothing personal, just an opinion of mine concluded from reading the various postings as it relates to the product in question, generally made by you on (3) separate Inspire forums from time to time. I suspect as you have the right to post when & where you want, I'm certainly entitled to my opinion as I see it.
It's all good. I for one would simply like to see less incidents of Inspires falling from the sky, and feel more confident in the products Hardware/Firmware etc.
If someone gets seriously injured as result of this anomaly it's obviously not going to be good for the manufacturer or the UAV community as a whole. Like the flyaway issue, these incidents needs to be fully investigated and resolved ASAP whatever the causation may conclude. IMHO

Last edited:
Guys please, I beg you.

Community efforts have uncovered bugs in DJI FW before and the stability of your current aircraft is owed in part to such efforts.

Magnetic declination TBE and flyaways are examples of issues we no longer hear about thanks to community driven crash investigations. Those issues were brought to DJI's attention and they fixed them, and that code is now running in your Inspire.

Example:

Let's please put aside differences here and I'd like to see if we can't get some of the pilots of reported unexplained "fell from the sky" crashes to provide access to their DAT log files.

Let's try to rally to get more data.

Can we agree that's worthwhile?

Guys please, I beg you.

Community efforts have uncovered bugs in DJI FW before and the stability of your current aircraft is owed in part to such efforts.

Magnetic declination TBE and flyaways are examples of issues we no longer hear about thanks to community driven crash investigations. Those issues were brought to DJI's attention and they fixed them, and that code is now running in your Inspire.

Example:

Let's please put aside differences here and I'd like to see if we can't get some of the pilots of reported unexplained "fell from the sky" crashes to provide access to their DAT log files.

Let's try to rally to get more data.

Can we agree that's worthwhile?

I agree, I believe much of what you speak of has already been provided to the manufacturer as well as files/video's posted on the DJI Inspire Forum, and elsewhere.
Much of what I personally have read had involved the I1 pro, not to say that is the only model experiencing such incidents.
However, as you have pointed out, such incidence need to be fully reported and investigated thoroughly before there is more than a loss of a model, but something much more serious as a result of a 5lb model falling from the sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
Ok then thanks.

I'd like to suggest we all keep an eye out for reports of a crash that fits the profile described. And if after some reasonable scrutiny the crash doesn't seem like a typical pilot error scenario, we try get the DAT files retrieved for analysis.

If you guys would prefer to start fresh in a new thread I'm down with that.

What do you think?

Reactions: Skynet1
As someone who's experienced 2 "incidents" as DJI called them (both flyaway incidents where the craft was recovered) I can tell you their MO is to replace or repair the device (free) without ever making anything public regarding anything they find. I do sincerely hope that discovery does help us better understand what is happening but, if you watch all of that 25+ minute video by gadgetguru regarding falling from the sky it becomes clear it's more common than anyone at DJI lets on and they certainly aren't providing information to the public or press about these.

Reactions: lrh111 and Kilrah
As I see it, there are a number of Inspires and P3s falling out of the sky lately. This could be motor obstruction false alarms or it could be sudden battery death or something else. We need DAT files to be able to find the root cause.

I have had one of these errors. I was on set once with the Inspire Pro and we had a motor obstructed error followed by three or more battery errors. The Inspire went into RTH and we let it come back and it landed uneventfully. Neither the battery or the bird showed any sign of problems. Both flew again without issue.

It is entirely possible that there is something that triggers these events, some sort of bug or defect that generates a bunch of false alarms. One of which could shut the bird down as Damon suggests. When I found the P2 issue, there was what looked like a buffer overflow that corrupted critical flight data registers causing a nearly complete loss of control. While I found the "smoking gun" defect, I wasn't able to determine what actually caused it to occur.

DJI wasn't that interested in figuring it out mostly since they had just rolled out the P3.

What about Mark Parrott's data? Didn't his fall out of the sky as well? We need DAT files.

Reactions: damoncooper
As I see it, there are a number of Inspires and P3s falling out of the sky lately. This could be motor obstruction false alarms or it could be sudden battery death or something else. We need DAT files to be able to find the root cause.

I have had one of these errors. I was on set once with the Inspire Pro and we had a motor obstructed error followed by three or more battery errors. The Inspire went into RTH and we let it come back and it landed uneventfully. Neither the battery or the bird showed any sign of problems. Both flew again without issue.

It is entirely possible that there is something that triggers these events, some sort of bug or defect that generates a bunch of false alarms. One of which could shut the bird down as Damon suggests. When I found the P2 issue, there was what looked like a buffer overflow that corrupted critical flight data registers causing a nearly complete loss of control. While I found the "smoking gun" defect, I wasn't able to determine what actually caused it to occur.

DJI wasn't that interested in figuring it out mostly since they had just rolled out the P3.

What about Mark Parrott's data? Didn't his fall out of the sky as well? We need DAT files.
I've still got the .DAT from my "falling from the sky" incident. That was in July 2015. Inspire was recovered and DJI repaired without giving any info on what caused the crash.
Camera & telemetry worked till the moment it hit the water.
This crash was obviously way before the latest round of falling birds, but here's the link to the .DAT file if you are interested. I don't know how to read them:
FLY051.DAT
Here's the log from the flight before: FLY050.DAT

Hope it helps and if you do find something I'd love to know what caused the crash.
Thanks

I've been pushing Mark for his DAT files and he promised me he'd get them to us, but he just left on a 9-day trip he said so it'll be a bit before we get his.

We need DAT files from fallen birds.

Has DJI ever admitted to a problem that's resulted in loss of AC -- EVER?

Brian

Yes many times. Now have they told people the cause of the crash? very rarely.

Problem is guys, there will always be failures. If you can not afford to lose the craft then I would fly only over land and in a place that you can recover the craft IF a failure does happen. Anyone that has been doing this for a while knows failures happen, even in military spec hardware / software. With that being said I have 4 inspires all the different models. I fly in extreme conditions and haven't had a failure.

Until we get redundant type systems this is just the facts. Trust me we are closer than you think;) This won't fix power related issues though, a battery just like an engine can fail and when it does it's game over. Unlike real craft when the battery fails so does writing logs. I hope to see in the future some backup power source for FC to at least power sensors and data flight recorder. Currently all we can hope for is better technology in batteries and the monitoring systems being used.

IMHO and this is just my opinion.. I do believe we are seeing some kind of battery issues do to either cold and or bad batch of cells.

I've been pushing Mark for his DAT files and he promised me he'd get them to us, but he just left on a 9-day trip he said so it'll be a bit before we get his.

We need DAT files from fallen birds.
I had a load from P3 dropping October November but I have deleted them now sadly, one thing that always stood out was a rapid drop in pack voltage then a surge in current as the craft began to try to recover, at the same time pack temp rocketed.

often as the voltage dropped you got IMU and compass errors, I put this down to unstable supply voltage to the controller.

It seems as the voltage sags the cells begin to overheat that then causes them to sag more and so on causing a bad ending.

As Blade mentioned about the batch of cells as there are so many at play In these packs it would only take one cell to drag the pack down even with them in 2P setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74