Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Possible Crash Smoking Gun

@Ferdi, that DAT file is very short. Just a snippet from before take off. Nothing abnormal otherwise.

I wonder if the DAT files are chunked. That would be very bad for any black box analysis. Let's see if we can find some more and we'll figure it out.

Reactions: damoncooper
I figured out why the DAT file was so short. Been a while so I forgot that every time you turn on the Inspire, you get a new DAT file even when you are doing so to retrieve a DAT file. The larger file is the crash file. Everything looked normal until 227 seconds in. At that point, all hell breaks loose. And 2 seconds later, the FC reported "ESC3 link down" which I am going to assume means the ESC is no longer talking to the FC.

Looks like an ESC failure.

I've written a full assessment here: http://www.ianwood.com/docs/falling-from-the-sky.pdf

I figured out why the DAT file was so short. Been a while so I forgot that every time you turn on the Inspire, you get a new DAT file even when you are doing so to retrieve a DAT file. The larger file is the crash file. Everything looked normal until 227 seconds in. At that point, all hell breaks loose. And 2 seconds later, the FC reported "ESC3 link down" which I am going to assume means the ESC is no longer talking to the FC.

Looks like an ESC failure.

I've written a full assessment here: http://www.ianwood.com/docs/falling-from-the-sky.pdf

Nice work Ian.

I sure hope we aren't seeing a repeat of the ESC cold solder Phantom 2 "drop from the sky" issues we saw in 2014. Basically a result of poor quality soldering by DJI.

Over in the battery mod thread there has been a bit of a parallel realization that the battery PCB connections are of mediocre quality and at least one example has been found of a cold solder point.

Too small a sample to establish any pattern but let's see if there are other crash logs that point to ESC failures as well.

Interesting data point at least.

Maybe it is time for an better organization of this subject. It is good that users report their issues in their own threads but that does not give you a good overview about the incidents. We should maintain a list of all the incidents poeple report hier with some data like date of purchase, date of death, firmware version, cycles, weather conditions and other data that is maybe important. Depending on the outcome and amount of feedback we have maybe something in our hand against DJI to be more cooperative.

We had a similiar story with Volkswagen (i try to keep it very short). I'm driving a 2011 VW California and I'm running a very big community together with some friends. A few years ago we got the 1st reports about roof corosion and of course, VW rejected repairs if the car was out of the 2 year warranty, with some luck they offered some discount. So we started to collect the incidents and confronted VW with it, after a while VW changed their mind and now they are doing a free repair for up to 7 year old cars and with repair i mean a complete replacement of the roof top!

I don't know if this works also with DJI but it is worth a try, think about it.

Chris

I think that's a great idea. Had the same thing done for my vw in Canada although vw had already fessed up due to the same pressures of groups like yours! It's a valuable data set to have to make positive change. I'd be interested in contributing to such a repository.

I have seen bits of foam break off the Inspire 1 case and get lodged into the openings in the rotors. Perhaps this is resulting in such errors.

hi guys :)
if you like i can try and make some pics like i did with the battery pcb over in the battery mod thread. k have to replace a leg that broke possibly during deliver back from germany service center. - it is the legpart where the antenna is under the motor, the sticker part. not the carbon leg.
since i have to disassemble it anyway i can put it under the microscope and shoot it :)
let me know and i'll get into it on monday when back in office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi guys :)
if you like i can try and make some pics like i did with the battery pcb over in the battery mod thread. k have to replace a leg that broke possibly during deliver back from germany service center. - it is the legpart where the antenna is under the motor, the sticker part. not the carbon leg.
since i have to disassemble it anyway i can put it under the microscope and shoot it :)
let me know and i'll get into it on monday when back in office.

Who would say no a fresh set of Inspire disassembly pics!!

Yes please!

Who would say no a fresh set of Inspire disassembly pics!!

Yes please!
since i kind of had to take apart my first unit "D" version and i think warranty is also over which i will check but the parts i can take apart without voiding i will be making pics of off them for you and us here with greatest pleasure :D

since i want to waterproof the first unit anyway which results in striping it :) pics will not be a problem. since we have two microscopes i would like to ask for preferences. the first ones i made was from a new days - last year or so unit. the second - video i made - is from a unit we had when i lived in the states 92/93 and took it with us and use it since :)
let me know which is better for you to make expertise :)
cheers :D

since i kind of had to take apart my first unit "D" version and i think warranty is also over which i will check but the parts i can take apart without voiding i will be making pics of off them for you and us here with greatest pleasure :D

since i want to waterproof the first unit anyway which results in striping it :) pics will not be a problem. since we have two microscopes i would like to ask for preferences. the first ones i made was from a new days - last year or so unit. the second - video i made - is from a unit we had when i lived in the states 92/93 and took it with us and use it since :)
let me know which is better for you to make expertise :)
cheers :D

I think either would be a service to the community! Thanks!!

Reactions: Phatzo
I had this motor obstructed error last night twice which caused my Inspire to fall out of the sky, but it luckily recovered just before hitting the ground. I posted about this here in this thread last night, but my post was deleted for "double posting", because I started a thread about my experience. I would think posting about it in this thread about this issue also would be acceptable? I even re-worded several things to make it cohesive with the discussion that's taken place in this thread. If anyone would like the details of my incident, I guess refer to my thread: 2 Near Crashes - "Motor Obstucted"

This gave me back a CSV with headers and no data from the posted DAT files.
That online version has been decommissioned. It's been replaced by an offline version that is run directly on your PC or Mac. The new one has a lot more fields than the old online version. To obtain the offline version go here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74