Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Problem connecting controller to iPad

Reaction score
I experienced an issue connecting my Inspire's remote to my iPad Mini 2 today. It displayed "DISCONNECTED" in the app despite a functioning cable that I tested on various other devices.

Turns out that I needed to reset the settings on the ipad (Settings -> General -> Reset). Maybe I hit "Do Not Trust This Computer" on accident, but I don't recall doing that. Anyway, this seemed to fix the issue. Anyone else experience this problem?

I experienced an issue connecting my Inspire's remote to my iPad Mini 2 today. It displayed "DISCONNECTED" in the app despite a functioning cable that I tested on various other devices.

Turns out that I needed to reset the settings on the ipad (Settings -> General -> Reset). Maybe I hit "Do Not Trust This Computer" on accident, but I don't recall doing that. Anyway, this seemed to fix the issue. Anyone else experience this problem?
The DISCONNECTED refers to the link between the controller and the Inspire 1 not the cable connection between the iPad and the controller. You need to power up both the controller and the Inspire.

The Trust this computer is my most annoying issue. It can appear multiple times even if you tap Trust. I have like you reset the trusts in the iPad settings but I am not sure it really helped.

Actually, I should have mentioned that I was still able to control the Inspire with the remote, just sans iPad. I tried it by simply activating the motors via the remote and it worked fine.

This happened again today and I couldn't get it to work on-site. Got home and tried another cable and it seemed to work.

Interestingly, the cable I was using worked to charge my iPhone, so I don't think that was the problem.

I've been reading about people experiencing this issue and it coming down to the USB port on the remote itself.

Just an update on this:

Finally had the time, after a busy summer work schedule, to contact tech support. They concluded that it was a hardware issue - one of the antennas not functioning properly was the diagnosis over the phone(?).

Hopefully I'll have it back in about 7-8 weeks...

Yet another update, and a plus 1 to DJI tech support:

They quickly tested the remote and are immediately sending me a replacement due to a a faulty unit. Should have the new one soon.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
This happened again today and I couldn't get it to work on-site. Got home and tried another cable and it seemed to work.

Interestingly, the cable I was using worked to charge my iPhone, so I don't think that was the problem.

I've been reading about people experiencing this issue and it coming down to the USB port on the remote itself.
Make sure the Lightning cable used is actually a Lightning DATA cable and not just a Lightning charging cable. Only a Lightning data cable will work. :cool: Use the original Lightning data cable that Apple supplied with your iPad, and not an aftermarket "charging only" Lightning cable. The latter are not designed for data connections. I found out the hard way myself! ;)

DJI confirmed that the unit is defective, so they're sending a new one. Got the tracking number today, actually. Looking forward to getting back up there.

DJI confirmed that the unit is defective, so they're sending a new one. Got the tracking number today, actually. Looking forward to getting back up there.
With all due respect to over the phone diagnosis of hardware issues, try a real original Apple cable with the original transmitter. There is a very good chance that is the only problem. You'll be flying sooner, if I am right, and you'll have the same issue with the new one, too, if you don't use a data Apple branded Lightning cable, and use a Lightning charging only cable instead! Might as well find out now! :cool:

With all due respect to over the phone diagnosis of hardware issues, try a real original Apple cable with the original transmitter. There is a very good chance that is the only problem. You'll be flying sooner, if I am right, and you'll have the same issue with the new one, too, if you don't use a data Apple branded Lightning cable, and use a Lightning charging only cable instead! Might as well find out now! :cool:
They've had the unit for a week now and have tested it in their lab. Tests concluded a defective unit.

And just FYI, I have been using an original Apple data cable. Thanks for your info.

They've had the unit for a week now and have tested it in their lab. Tests concluded a defective unit.

And just FYI, I have been using an original Apple data cable. Thanks for your info.
My bad. Didn't realize it was already sent in. I got confused by the diagnosis over the phone statement with the question mark.

When I first hooked up my iPad, I used a short Lightning charging cable, not realizing it wasn't data capable. A cable is just a cable, right? Wrong! :eek: Glad you got it sorted out, and that their move to the new facility is significantly shortening turnaround times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop