Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

problems recording RAW with manual lens Laowa 7.5

Reaction score
so i just picked up the Laowa 7.5 lightweight version. i did a quick flight and noticed that when i record raw, it creates a folder, but no images are recorded. It records fine to the microSD. Plus, when i attach the lens to the gimbal, i get an error message saying "no lens is connected" likely because the Laowa is a fully manual lens with no electronic contacts....anyway around this? It works fine recording proRes. Tried to refresh firmware, re uploaded certificate for the activation key for RAW and ProRes. No difference.

Last edited:
so i just heard back from Laowa---

They have a work around....not ideal but it works.

You first start up the drone with the DJI 15mm AF lens (or likely any lens with electrical contacts)

Then once a stable video feed is established, you switch lenses with the Laowa while the gimbal is still active and running and now I am able to record in RAW....

I certainly do not like manhandling the gimbal with the motors running....hopefully this can be resolved with a firmware update....

Reactions: Casey53
Wonder if it will work if you switch between movie and still camera mode and still write correctly?

You should mention this to DJI as I think this will be a popular lens. Too bad Laowa didn't include the contacts or chip needed even with it being manual only.

Great review. I appreciate it! I almost pulled the trigger on this lens yesterday. The capture and fov is gorgeous. Little to no distortion.
I too do not like the idea of handling the gimbal when it is activated. I hope DJI will address this soon.
Shooting without a lens should be an easy fix for them.
Thanks again.

Aside from the gimbal fighting your movements, possibly the biggest downside for changing the lens with the gimbal active is that as the camera is powered on, the charge on the camera sensor will be slightly more likely to attract crud and dust bunnies.

Reactions: cvanhoose
smoak5, have you contacted Laowa (Venus Optics) about the loose hood issue? I would think they'd easily fix that and send another one.

I'd still put a bug in DJI's ear about the inability to use the lens without using the stock one while turned on and removing it and putting the Laowa on with the gimbal active. Should be a way for DJI to ignore the lens contact and go to manual with the full resolution ability.

Good review!

Thanks for the review and useful information!

May I ask where you bought it?
Everywhere I look (Amazon, ebay, Bh) has it for preorder only.

Thanks!
so i just heard back from Laowa---

They have a work around....not ideal but it works.

You first start up the drone with the DJI 15mm AF lens (or likely any lens with electrical contacts)

Then once a stable video feed is established, you switch lenses with the Laowa while the gimbal is still active and running and now I am able to record in RAW....

I certainly do not like manhandling the gimbal with the motors running....hopefully this can be resolved with a firmware update....
hanks for the info

Thanks for the review and useful information!

May I ask where you bought it?
Everywhere I look (Amazon, ebay, Bh) has it for preorder only.

Thanks!

hanks for the info
I literally preordered on the day it was announced

I literally preordered on the day it was announced

Thanks. I emailed Venus Optics about the sloppy hood fit. Maybe they improved it since the intro and the ones that should appear at B&H Photo and Amazon whenever Venus Optics ships out that retailer's batch.

I'll post if I hear back from them.
Later-
Got response back from Venus Optics (Friday night no less!??!): "We are working on some other drones dedicated hoods and will announce once available." That's all I got. Must be something coming, but don't know if it is for the 7.5mm or what and/or maybe some secondary purchase option?

Last edited:
So I tried the "work around" and was able to record in raw with the 7.5. Stunning lens optically. Here is another sample but this time recorded in raw. Should check it out in 5k!

Cool! (Other than my slow 1.0Mb/s AT&T DSL download in YouTube 5K takes 39 minutes to load for 39 seconds of video.).

Wonder if you could snug that loose hood up a bit with some CA glue on it? I did that to my loose props rather than deal with DJI support and it worked well.

I played with the video file in DaVinci Resolve 14 beta to see how the perspective tilt would work. I got close to making the building sides in the corners vertical with the following settings:

Laowa-7.5mm-in-Resolve-14-Beta.jpg

Looks like a good lens though, and sharp in the corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2nd2non
So I tried the "work around" and was able to record in raw with the 7.5. Stunning lens optically. Here is another sample but this time recorded in raw. Should check it out in 5k!

Thanks for the videos and review, very nices! I'm also very interested on this lens, have you tried still RAW photography on the micro sd?

Tw questions: Did you order it from the manufacturer? Did you have to do any post correction to get it rectilinear?
I love the Olympus 12mm f2, but it is difficult to get a flat horizon even in post.
Thanks in advance.
Barry

Tw questions: Did you order it from the manufacturer? Did you have to do any post correction to get it rectilinear?
I love the Olympus 12mm f2, but it is difficult to get a flat horizon even in post.
Thanks in advance.
Barry
I preordered directly from laowa website.

No lens correction whatsoever. Just color graded. I think the lens works great if you don't mind the hassle of swapping lenses out to "enable" raw video recording or just shoot in prores.

another sample but this time i just decided to record in proRes 4444XQ since i didnt have the other lens to swap out to "enable" RAW :)

hi Smoak,

Great review and samples. Have you seen props appearing in the frame in windy conditions?

Barry: it took me some time to understand why you got problems with horizons on the 12mm as it is rectilinear: ok the is the barrel distortion which looks really bigger on the 12mm than on the Laowa.

Venus Optics Laowa 7.5mm F/2 Lens Review: Super Wide and Super Fast Lens for Micro Four Thirds

and for the 12mm:
Olympus M.Zuiko 12 mm f/2
Sorry this is a french review, but in the distortion section look at the first line of the distortion map (which is uncorrected as in our videos), amplification 1: it is a big distortion.

Reactions: BarryBittman
Thank you. I can correct the Olympus 12mm distortion with the FCPX fisheye tool. However since I'm shooting 5k Prores, most third party plugins do not extend across the full width of the frame, and as a result, you get what appears to be a bimodal horizon - two lateral humps and a trough in the center of the frame. So far, the only solution for me is the FCPX fisheye tool which does the job.

While I still really like the Olympus 12mm lens, the Laowa 7.5 appears better corrected.

Thank you again.

hi Smoak,

Great review and samples. Have you seen props appearing in the frame in windy conditions?

Barry: it took me some time to understand why you got problems with horizons on the 12mm as it is rectilinear: ok the is the barrel distortion which looks really bigger on the 12mm than on the Laowa.

Venus Optics Laowa 7.5mm F/2 Lens Review: Super Wide and Super Fast Lens for Micro Four Thirds

and for the 12mm:
Olympus M.Zuiko 12 mm f/2
Sorry this is a french review, but in the distortion section look at the first line of the distortion map (which is uncorrected as in our videos), amplification 1: it is a big distortion.

Yes. I do see props in the frame especially if I increase speed rapidly causing the inspire 2 to tilt more. Usually if the gimbal is set to 0 or less and not pointing upwards the props are out of frame

Reactions: cvanhoose

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963