Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question about cleaning haze out of a shot in Premier Pro CC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I live in a part of the country where people like to burn things and it's generally hazy overall. Does anyone have tips on how to clean up the haze out of a shot and make it a little more tolerable? It starts showing up on long-distance shots and pull outs. Hope this makes sense and I'm using premier pro with my X5S footage. Shot D-log with the aperture set to 8, 119fps and clear polarizer filter.

I live in a part of the country where people like to burn things and it's generally hazy overall. Does anyone have tips on how to clean up the haze out of a shot and make it a little more tolerable? It starts showing up on long-distance shots and pull outs. Hope this makes sense and I'm using premier pro with my X5S footage. Shot D-log with the aperture set to 8, 119fps and clear polarizer filter.
What resolution? Was is shot on the SSD with a really high bit rate? These things can change the answer.

I found a semi-solution that I'm comfortable with. I changed the lut, reduced brightness and adjusted contrast to clean it up as much as possible. I went with a d-log to rec 709 lut that, in my opinion, works. I will upload sample as soon as it's rendered. Thanks all!

Reactions: marg2
Here's the link
Ok a few things:

First: Shots are overexposed. There are some good tutorials online on how to set exposure. Really want things centered in a histogram.

Second: You export settings must either be very wrong, or you graded the footage too much and got artifacts. If your SD Card is the correct kind, I would make sure your export settings are correct because the video looks really muddy.

Third: Dont shoot in 4:3, it really look weird on anything but apps like Instagram and even then 16:9 looks better.

Fourth: Some of the shots seem out of focus.

Fifth: When doing the text so that it looks like its actually in shot, Premier (more specifically After Effects) does an 'ok' job, but I would manually edit the path via the keyframes so the text doesnt drift.

Dont let this discourage you! Just a few very minor things that can be corrected. If you need any help color grading, let me know and I can help out!

Reactions: Drone Pilot PEI
Thanks for that advice. I want to get better that's why I'm here and posting. What SD card do you use? Mine is the SanDisk extreme 32gb. What export settings do you recommend, I use render at Max and around 55mbps I think.

I will thoroughly go through my settings this evening and update firmware to see if I can figure out the issue. What sharpness/ contrast/ saturation setting do you all typically fly with? I believe that may be one of my issues.

Thanks for that advice. I want to get better that's why I'm here and posting. What SD card do you use? Mine is the SanDisk extreme 32gb. What export settings do you recommend, I use render at Max and around 55mbps I think.

The Extreme is perfect! Nothing wrong there. I export in 4k at 60 because YouTube grants different streaming Bit rates to different resolutions.

By that I mean this:

Video A is a 1080p 30 fps video: YouTube will grant it X amount of Mbps of data to stream

Video B is at 4k at 60 fps: YouTube grants that between 90-110 Mbps for streaming. Now, we can record on the X5S at 100 Mbps. So YouTube almost allows for full resolution.

BUT

When Video B is played back at 1080p 60 in the YouTube player, it still has the 100 Mbps. So that video looks MUCH better then native 1080p video
I will thoroughly go through my settings this evening and update firmware to see if I can figure out the issue. What sharpness/ contrast/ saturation setting do you all typically fly with? I believe that may be one of my issues.

Setting should be 16:9 and I shoot D-Log. I really havent messed with the Sharpness and stuff like that yet because it hasnt been an issue. With my stock X5S and stock settings on D Log, Im getting amazing results.

The Extreme is perfect! Nothing wrong there. I export in 4k at 60 because YouTube grants different streaming Bit rates to different resolutions.

By that I mean this:

Video A is a 1080p 30 fps video: YouTube will grant it X amount of Mbps of data to stream

Video B is at 4k at 60 fps: YouTube grants that between 90-110 Mbps for streaming. Now, we can record on the X5S at 100 Mbps. So YouTube almost allows for full resolution.

BUT

When Video B is played back at 1080p 60 in the YouTube player, it still has the 100 Mbps. So that video looks MUCH better then native 1080p video

Setting should be 16:9 and I shoot D-Log. I really havent messed with the Sharpness and stuff like that yet because it hasnt been an issue. With my stock X5S and stock settings on D Log, Im getting amazing results.

Oh, I got ya. A lot of my clients don't want YouTube videos they want the master. To avoid choppy playback on the computer I export around 45 - 60MBPS and at max res and render. (If someone has a better recommendation feel free to chyme in) I'm still toying around with those settings though. But, yes, I agree that full 100mbps for YouTube combined with their compression the videos look great. I shoot 1080p 119fps so I can go in and slow a clip WAY down if need be, but export at 30fps.

I have been playing with settings and reasons why shoot what settings too. First identify most important item, and fix a little at a time, to keep a handle on it.
I find that the faster shutter speeds can leave the video too crisp and even choppy. I like to slow things down too. I find the slower i move the drone is better, so i can keep my shutter speed slower to have video look smoother. So I'll use 4K settings at 24-30 fps,,,,and set video shutter at 1/60 max. I can still slow video by up to 50%, but slow movement of drone, like using a tripod. Note, this is not good if taking screen captures in premier for a single shot. I will have separate settings if I'm taking pics. Higher shutter speed is better for stills, but take note of aperture. Landscapes are different than close ups, or a particular subject. Good luck....Premier has different workspaces for editing. They have a "color" section similar to photoshop which I love, experiment with curves and stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu