Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question regarding adding GPS overlay to footage

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a project come up that requires overlaying a small map onto our footage with a flight path and visual representation of where the drone is as it moves along that path. Basically I'll be cruising along a lakeshore at a constant speed and the client would like to be able to pause the video and see the exact co-ordinates of a specific point, as well as map out the actual flight path of the drone and be able to see where it is on the lake at any given point.
I have done this before using a Phantom 2 and Flytrex, but I am wondering if there is a much more simple way to do this with the Inspire being that the technology has improved significantly over the Phantom 2?

use flight converter and get kml file for use in Google Earth. It's an amazing tool to show exabctly what you're trying to do.

This does the trick, and works really well - but the live telemetry is what I need so I can essentially step through frame by frame and the GPS co-ordinates will follow suit, if that makes sense.

Hi guys, I have developed an online viewer to address this problem. We are currently in beta testing and should have a system available for general use in the coming month or so.
if your interested check out my previous thread...
Video map overlay solution
Thank you for this post, and this looks like the software I would need although what I am doing is not web-based, I need to export a video file out of the program with the telemetry embedded. I have been fooling around with Dashware and I think this is what I will have to use for this project.

Alright, here's the real way I do it:
I capture the "playback" of the kml file in Google Earth as a video. I then embed that video in a "foreground" window using Premier with the captured video playing alongside. The amazingly simple part is the syncronization of the two playbacks, (they happened together!!!). Clients think I'm a genius and it is good enough to be used in a court of law. Yes, it's that good.

This does the trick, and works really well - but the live telemetry is what I need so I can essentially step through frame by frame and the GPS co-ordinates will follow suit, if that makes sense.
In that case, I think Dashware may be your best solution.... I was using this before I developed the online viewer.
If you get stuck with Dashware (I found it to be quite a mission to get things right) you could use my web viewer and use some screen capture software.... not ideal, but might be easier.

Hey guys,

I've got a project come up that requires overlaying a small map onto our footage with a flight path and visual representation of where the drone is as it moves along that path. Basically I'll be cruising along a lakeshore at a constant speed and the client would like to be able to pause the video and see the exact co-ordinates of a specific point, as well as map out the actual flight path of the drone and be able to see where it is on the lake at any given point.
I have done this before using a Phantom 2 and Flytrex, but I am wondering if there is a much more simple way to do this with the Inspire being that the technology has improved significantly over the Phantom 2?

Hi – Saw this a bit older post but wanted to let you know our LineVision Google Earth & Esri software options will let you do exactly this and much more with your Inspire videos. You can learn more and get a free trial at our website: Geospatial Video Inspection & Survey Mapping Software | Remote GeoSystems

Just be sure to turn on SRT file logging: How to Enable GPS .SRT File Logging with Video on DJI Drones | Remote GeoSystems

--Remote Geo Team

Alright, here's the real way I do it:
I capture the "playback" of the kml file in Google Earth as a video. I then embed that video in a "foreground" window using Premier with the captured video playing alongside. The amazingly simple part is the syncronization of the two playbacks, (they happened together!!!). Clients think I'm a genius and it is good enough to be used in a court of law. Yes, it's that good.

Hello Jay,
could you please give more details on how you achieve this?
I'm rather familiar with Google Earth and editing techniques in Final Cut, but I just need to understand how to capture/record/export a kml file as a video file.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo