Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Questions about traveling on planes

Reaction score
I’m sorry if there is a thread already covering this but I did look and couldn’t find anything.
Over traveled to another country with my mavic before so I understand the basic rules. However as I’m sure some of you know the inspire is bigger than the mavic. So my question isn’t so much about the batteries but about the Inspire 2 itself. How would I go about bringing it on a plane? Would it have to go check on or does it fit carry on? Any tips or help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Each airline has its own size limits for carry-on, but generally no, the I2 is too large for the majority of airlines.

The batteries have to go as carry-on and are sized correctly to be just below the 100Wh cut-off point.

Each airline has its own size limits for carry-on, but generally no, the I2 is too large for the majority of airlines.

The batteries have to go as carry-on and are sized correctly to be just below the 100Wh cut-off point.

Would it be best to invest in a hard case and check it on?

Just be aware that most airlines will consider that to be 'oversized' as they use 62" as the maximum dimensions. There are some exceptions though, and some will also allow it if you can show you are a media professional.

Also I wouldn't suggest checking it in with a camera attached, so I think that case would limit you to 1 camera box.

The easiest solution for those with only an occasional need to fly is to use the case it came in but with a cardboard outer box to protect and seal it.

If you choose the box with care it will be below the 62" limit.

Do check your insurance cover when flying, the airlines disavow liability for fragile and expensive electronics etc. so make sure your own insurance covers you to transport it in the hold.

I have dji care for it but I doubt they cover airline travel. I’m looking at getting a travel mode case made by drone crates.
I’ll check out other insurance options though. Thanks for all your help

I have dji care for it but I doubt they cover airline travel. I’m looking at getting a travel mode case made by drone crates.
I’ll check out other insurance options though. Thanks for all your help

DJI Care does not matter how it was damaged, as long as you have the parts. The Drone Crates case appears to be an identical outside shell as the GPC cases we offer. GoProfessional Case - Inspire 2 Travel Mode

I usually check the birds in the stock i2 case and carry on all batts in a pelican and tape up contacts, haven't ever had an issue, but depends on the airline.
If you want to keep everything in one case another option is to send your whole case with a non passenger cargo service that allows lithium batteries to be transported, sometimes they require some special hazmat stickers or a certain code and other paper work, but they are usually right next to the airport, so it is not too much trouble to stop at the cargo company at arrival.
Haven't done this internationally though.

I travel quite extensively with an I2, and you most certainly will have to check it. This is the case I use: HPRC Wheeled Hard Case with Foam for DJI Inspire 2 INS2-4600W-01 and while pretty large, it's the most durable and well-made case I've seen. I use a lot of HPRC cases, and they all have the same high-quality engineering, and solid warranty (which you will NOT get from a Pelican case if damaged in air transit. They do not warranty any damage incurred in air travel.... don't get me started on that one) I would not want to trust the case the I2 came in over time. For a few trips maybe, but it's just not going to hold up over time. Plus, the HPRC is big enough to get several lenses, two chargers, rotors, filters, the gimbal can store separately (yes, you should take it off for travel) and even some slots for smaller iPads or other monitors. While you can get 4 sets of batteries in here (5 if you have a set on the I2), you cannot check those and they must be hand carried in the cabin of the aircraft. All airlines have their own policies for Li-ion batteries, so make sure you know the policy for your carrier. You should also discharge your Li-ion batteries to about 15-20% for safe travel. I've also used this case to ship my I2 via Fedex. Keep in mind that some couriers also have Li-ion limits on flights, especially internationally. I was going to fly my batteries home from a recent trip to Turkey (because of all the electronics restrictions on flights from that part of the world) but Fedex would not allow more than two batteries per case from there. I had 5 sets, so that meant 5 shipments internationally just for batteries! I ended up coming home via Amsterdam with everything with me and had no issue. The case is big, so yes, on some carriers you may be charged for oversize unless you have a legitimate media credential which will get you a special rate on many carriers domestically but not internationally. I have never had a problem with the size of this case in the automated baggage handling system, and it has always showed up with regular bags not the oversize bin. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lily212