Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Quick Deploy Case

You would resemble a turtle if you wore this case on your back, and the CG would be a pain (literally). How about after I finish this project, you be the test monkey for the 1690 backpack. ;)

Sure! :D

I´m used to big backpacks, when I mountain hike. ;)

The problem is that I do not live nearby. :(

Sweet work Rig....appreciate the effort and sharing. Seeing the final with PD is anticipated. Since most of my travel is by road, would work great vice the oem for air travel...

Sweet work Rig....appreciate the effort and sharing. Seeing the final with PD is anticipated. Since most of my travel is by road, would work great vice the oem for air travel...

Agreed, definitely NOT for air travel. But if you mainly fly out of your POV like I do, it's a definite improvement and time saver. I love not having to do the camera/prop/landing gear dance anymore. One downside I have noticed is that you can't really roll it anywhere you couldn't roll a skateboard, and carrying it is very awkward. It's definitely not a briefcase, you need a wide wingspan to hobble this thing around by hand. If you typically walk a fair distance from your POV on uneven terrain before launching, this is a consideration to keep in mind.

Reactions: kilowonghk
Question.....are you still going to transport it with camera installed? I figure that would be the most fragile item while bouncing around on a rough surface. Also, how long does it take to take the camera off and on?

Has transported drones with cameras in gimbals long time now and I have not had any problems at all.

As a frequent user, I see more problems with wearing on the gimbal, by taking off and putting on all the time.
If you do it right in the case, the camera should be pretty well protected.

Question.....are you still going to transport it with camera installed? I figure that would be the most fragile item while bouncing around on a rough surface. Also, how long does it take to take the camera off and on?
I currently have the camera installed on the bird in the case. The camera has no padding touching it on the bottom, but is lightly surrounded by foam on the left, right, front, and rear. Because the camera is on a gimbal, every time I put it in the case the camera moves around a little bit, so it would be hard to have a perfect cradle for the installed camera. The camera is very protected while installed on the bird in this case, I'm not worried about it. However, if you are, you can always make a slot for the OEM camera/gimbal case that came with the Inspire 1. You would just install it before flight. With landing gear down and props on, this would still save you the time from removing, finding flat smooth surface, turning on, exiting travel mode, and turning off the bird again. Instead you would just remove the bird, install camera, and turn on.

This may be a daft question but Rig mentioned in his original post:

"having to precariously enter travel mode on the OEM case after a flight."

Is it not possible to do this whilst holding the aircraft?

Cheers

Roastie

This may be a daft question but Rig mentioned in his original post:

"having to precariously enter travel mode on the OEM case after a flight."

Is it not possible to do this whilst holding the aircraft?

Yes, when I entered travel mode on the OEM case, I stabilized it with my hand, as it transformed on the case. However, the travel mode uses the sonic sensors to determine when to stop transforming, so if you were to hold it in the air and enter travel mode the landing gear would simply raise all the way into flight mode.

What's the difference in leaving the Pick/Pluck foam as is and adding the plasti-dip? I'd be interested in doing this eventually but don't feel like I could do anything beyond removing the foam.

Pick/Pluck foam inherently separates while being aggravated. This means that the more you insert/remove items, the more the foam will separate at the scored lines. Spraying PD lightly bonds the foam at the scored lines so it is less likely to separate from use. It's application is as easy as spray-painting the foam.

Agreed, definitely NOT for air travel. But if you mainly fly out of your POV like I do, it's a definite improvement and time saver. I love not having to do the camera/prop/landing gear dance anymore. One downside I have noticed is that you can't really roll it anywhere you couldn't roll a skateboard, and carrying it is very awkward. It's definitely not a briefcase, you need a wide wingspan to hobble this thing around by hand. If you typically walk a fair distance from your POV on uneven terrain before launching, this is a consideration to keep in mind.
True that, but nothing some 1x4s and fat tires can't take care of...rolling platform

Started the PD today. Got 4 coats on. Looks like 6 cans will cover it nicely. It's coming together.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422748609.821713.jpg

Reactions: kilowonghk
Hi Rig,

I took delivery of my I1 just Friday last week. I only ordered it the previous day. The local dealer had a shipment arrive Friday morning with 2 available birds and I got one of them! I love it but am already getting frustrated with the set up routine (after 3 days!). Anyway, I have a Pelican case for my P2 and a smaller one for all my FPV and Groundstation set up so I'm a believer in having my gear well protected but also easy to use and ready to fly (almost). Problem here is that I just shelled out $4700 last Thursday, had to buy a new iPad 3 on Saturday as my existing iPad mini missed out on the A7 chip so that was another $600. The Pelican 1690 is $999 here plus freight (New Zealand $$), I think my wife would smash the front door off its hinges on her way out it for the last time if she found out I'd gone and pulled the trigger on that right now. Besides, look at my photo, I could probably live inside that thing.

But what about the flight battery? Isn't it supposed to cool down before packing it away? Would all that foam cause it to retain the heat?

I know we have to let the battery cool down before charging, I've read nothing about letting it cool down before putting it in a case. Either way, the case won't heat it up, it will still cool down. It's no different than packing a just-used battery in the OEM case.

I know we have to let the battery cool down before charging, I've read nothing about letting it cool down before putting it in a case. Either way, the case won't heat it up, it will still cool down. It's no different than packing a just-used battery in the OEM case.

Not talking about charging. The User Manual suggests that the batteries be cooled before putting in case. With all that foam (insulation) the battery will retain heat for some time.

EDIT:

On page 21 of the User Manual, under "Charging the Intelligent Flight Battery", item 5 states, "Air cool the Intelligent Flight Battery after each flight. Allow its temperature to drop to room temperature before storing it for an extended period."

Just trying to help you get the longest life out of your batteries. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Not talking about charging. The User Manual suggests that the batteries be cooled before putting in case. With all that foam (insulation) the battery will retain heat for some time.

EDIT:

On page 21 of the User Manual, under "Charging the Intelligent Flight Battery", item 5 states, "Air cool the Intelligent Flight Battery after each flight. Allow its temperature to drop to room temperature before storing it for an extended period."

Just trying to help you get the longest life out of your batteries. Hope this helps.

Good find, you are correct. I've read the manual cover to cover but sometimes it's hard to recall the little details. This is just as applicable to the OEM case, so same practices apply either way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips