Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Quick release locking mechanism play (brand new Inspire 1) Is it normal ?

Reaction score
Hello guys, my inspire finally arrived today, I charged the batteries and played around the app for at least one hour, now I was inspecting the craft a little and noticed that 2 of the locking mechanism (front left, back right) are having a play if I try to move it with my hand, you can see a video showing all 4 locking mechanisms.

Is this normal ?

I tried the screws and all are tighten up, couldn't tighten more then they ware.

Hello guys, my inspire finally arrived today, I charged the batteries and played around the app for at least one hour, now I was inspecting the craft a little and noticed that 2 of the locking mechanism (front left, back right) are having a play if I try to move it with my hand, you can see a video showing all 4 locking mechanisms.

Is this normal ?

I tried the screws and all are tighten up, couldn't tighten more then they ware.

Doesn't look right to me. Did you attempt to tighten the screw at all? I'm guessing there is loctite on it.

Yes I tried and the screws couldn't be tighten more then they ware. Maybe I should remove the screws and check if there is something wrong there. But two motors (lock mechanism), having the same problem, I didn't expect this! :(

On monday I will order the old type self tightening props with prop locks, but really needed to fly on monday.

Yes I tried and the screws couldn't be tighten more then they ware. Maybe I should remove the screws and check if there is something wrong there. But two motors (lock mechanism), having the same problem, I didn't expect this! :(

On monday I will order the old type self tightening props with prop locks, but really needed to fly on monday.
Hi Ovisopa, I have had luck removing the screws and turning the lock in the opposite direction. Reinsert screws and tighten. You can even switch the spring plate if need be. Good luck..

Sorry I missed that you had tried to tighten them in your original post.
If it were mine, I would take the screws completely out and then try to screw them back.

You didn't get any movement at all when you tried to tighten them? There has got to be at least a tiny bit cause I'm certain they would not tighten these little screws as tight they possible could at the factory. Tight yes, but not like a lug nut on a car tire.
If not, then I think they are loctite'd in and that is why you are not able to tighten them more. I'm sure you're trying to be delicate as well too though.

EDIT:
If you are able to tighten them a bit more by using more force, then you should take them all out, clean them up and use loctite on them. If you move them after the loctite dries then you have just removed a large part of the purpose of using loctite in the first place. The threads will still have clogged loctite on them but that is still not going to hold the screw in place as it should.

Last edited:
I think the problem is the screw itself, the part that doesn't have thread is to long and the screw can't be tighten more in the motor.

I'm measuring now the screw and make some photos. Be back with updates

JoeyJoe, I couldn't tighten more because the screw also had thread lock, but I could unscrew it , and than tried to screw it back, I noticed that the distance from the screw cap to the shiny metal sheet is to large, this is why the screw can't hold firmly the plastic part to the motor.

Here are the photos I made just now. The fastest way to solve it is to insert a very thin plastic washer, I'm already searching for a few , the rain stopped and I still have a few more hours until night comes. If I will be more confident I'll go on a field for the maiden flight.

Attachments

• dji_inspire_quick_release_prop_lock.jpg
    dji_inspire_quick_release_prop_lock.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 43
  • dji_prop_lock_mechanism_1mm_thickness.jpg
    dji_prop_lock_mechanism_1mm_thickness.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 40
  • screws do have threadlock.jpg
    screws do have threadlock.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 40
  • unthreaded part of the screw to long.jpg
    unthreaded part of the screw to long.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 39
Looks like a washer should solve the problem , but the bigger question is why this on a brand new aircraft.

JoeyJoe, I couldn't tighten more because the screw also had thread lock, but I could unscrew it , and than tried to screw it back, I noticed that the distance from the screw cap to the shiny metal sheet is to large, this is why the screw can't hold firmly the plastic part to the motor.

Here are the photos I made just now. The fastest way to solve it is to insert a very thin plastic washer, I'm already searching for a few , the rain stopped and I still have a few more hours until night comes. If I will be more confident I'll go on a field for the maiden flight.

Wow, I'm beginning to wonder if this is by design so as not to over tighten the screws on top of the plastic and crack it?
Is it possible the other locking mechanisms that seem tighter just have less play or are tighter around the fat, unthreaded part of the screw?

That might make sense since the plastic part seems more of a guide and the spring metal does the actual holding/locking.

Just want to clarify my statement about the plastic part being "just" a guide.
Obviously that plastic part is more than just a guide because it looks to be the main part in contact with the prop for spinning.
Maybe that plastic part is too brittle and it should not have a screw tightened down on it?

Perhaps you should wait for some of the experts here to respond. Most are probably out flying the Inspire at the moment!

Perhaps you should wait for some of the experts here to respond. Most are probably out flying the Inspire at the moment!

I mounted some small washers that fit exactly inside that round space, and tighten the screws back in , everything looks rock solid now, but still I don't trust the quick release system and will buy self tightening props next week.

I flown twice today after fixing the prop lock, a very boring maiden flight can be seen here .

Thanks god that everything was ok, and hope it will fly the same everytime.

So let's see, DJI releases the inspire 1 with screw on props. Props start flying off. DJI releases locking devices to secure the screw on props. People seem satisfied with this solution, yet DJI redesigns the props with a quick release system. Props continue to fly off because of cracked plastic parts, loose plastic parts, screws that seem to be too long. Now, a third design! Why? Wasn't the issue resolved with the prop locks? Guess not, otherwise why come out with another design? I have a "D" series Inspire with QR props. Although it looks cheap, I have been satisfied with the performance, until now,. Now there's a third generation of props and this has shaken my confidence in the QR props. Weren't they good enough??? This is a ridiculous situation! Here, you have people who are dumping the QR props and reverting to the original screw on props. Using locktite, different screws. UNBELIEVABLE!! As doctrrf noted, this is a serious situation. If one prop fails, it comes straight down. I paid a lot of money for this experiment! If DJI considers this latest locking mechanism the answer, then this must be treated like an automotive recall and all Inspire owners should be sent the updated kit with two sets of props. It's the least you can do!

Reactions: Lesmess
So let's see, DJI releases the inspire 1 with screw on props. Props start flying off. DJI releases locking devices to secure the screw on props. People seem satisfied with this solution, yet DJI redesigns the props with a quick release system. Props continue to fly off because of cracked plastic parts, loose plastic parts, screws that seem to be too long. Now, a third design! Why? Wasn't the issue resolved with the prop locks? Guess not, otherwise why come out with another design? I have a "D" series Inspire with QR props. Although it looks cheap, I have been satisfied with the performance, until now,. Now there's a third generation of props and this has shaken my confidence in the QR props. Weren't they good enough??? This is a ridiculous situation! Here, you have people who are dumping the QR props and reverting to the original screw on props. Using locktite, different screws. UNBELIEVABLE!! As doctrrf noted, this is a serious situation. If one prop fails, it comes straight down. I paid a lot of money for this experiment! If DJI considers this latest locking mechanism the answer, then this must be treated like an automotive recall and all Inspire owners should be sent the updated kit with two sets of props. It's the least you can do!
There was and still is absolutely nothing wrong with the original threaded props (plus locks).
I have hundreds of flights on the original set that shipped with my Inspire in February.
Checking them both pre and post flights for signs of wear, cracks or fatigue forms part of my checklists.
I do not expect to be changing them anytime soon.

I purchased the self tightening props, but so far DJI didn't shipped the package, still pending.

DJI warranty worked flawlessly, as yesterday I have received the replacement quick release plastic parts and new screws.

Still I don't trust this quick release sistem, the new one seems more solid, but once I will have the self tightening props I will use those instead of all those quick release systems, and try to move with the quad from place to place without removing the props.

PS. Today is the 7th day since I opened up the box, so far I flown it for 2 and a half hours and a total distance of 15km, so far everything is good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido