Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Quick Release prop mounts - are they different?

Reaction score
I bought a set of quick release prop mounts in CNC machined alloy rather than the plastic ones that came with the Inspire.

I actually cannot tell any difference between the 4 of them as far as design. They all look identical to each other in all aspects of shape, size and design, except obviously they've been marked as CW and CCW and have a white dot on 2 of them.
So I looked at the original plastic ones, and again I cannot see how they're any different to each other apart from the white dot. The actual shape and size and design appears identical.

So as a test I switched the props around, and they happily fit on any of the mounts, and this is the same with the original plastic ones, it's not just the alloy ones. They seem to be interchangeable.

The reason I ask, is I ended up with 2 spares, but they're both CCW. But to me it looks very much as if I could simply remove one 'C' off one of them, and have a spare one of each direction.

Does anyone know if they're actually the same, or if there's some difference in them depending on rotation direction?

Thanks in advance,

They are different. The props wind on in a different direction depending on if they are CW or CCW. Make sure you install them on the appropriate arms.

It's hard to get it wrong with the new QR mounts, as they're colour coded silver and black to match the spindle of the motor. Much better than the plastic ones that had nothing more than a dot. These have a dot and a different coloured mount. So I sure won't be getting them mixed up and will be definitely installing the correct QR's onto the correct arms.

However, I know the props SPIN a different direction, but look closely at a CW and CCW mount. Even the original plastic ones. There isn't a difference that I can see between them, I've even run calipers over nearly every square mm of them to test all the measurements. Even the inside of the two types of props are identical. Even the locking latches all face the same direction (which really intrigues me ... I'd have thought they'd at least face different directions).

The QR's are a very different system to the old threaded self tightening ones. On the props that screwed on you couldn't have put the wrong prop on the wrong side due to the direction of thread, but these don't use the thread at all, it's now superfluous - the prop locks onto the mount, and the mount is attached to the motor, and the motor is what spins the props. The threaded spindle now really doesn't seem to do anything at all.
You'd still have to put the correct props on, or the upward thrust of a wrong prop would push it down the way you do to release them. So it's still critical to have the correct props on the correct arms, but these QR mounts don't seem to vary from one corner to the next.

Thanks Mr Phantom, but I actually realise that. What I was trying to work out is whether there is any design difference between the two. I challenge someone to take even the two original plastic ones, and show me any difference between them other than the white dot. They are identical mounts as far as I can see. It's the same with the metal ones. The only variation between a CCW and a CW is what is printed on them.

Even if they are they same i wouldn't use a CW as a CCW, who knows how DJI would react if something happened and you needed to get it fixed on the warranty and they somehow got to know you have been using a CCW prop where the CW prop should be, or maybe they don´t care?
I rather buy a new pair, but thats just me.

But it shouldn't surprise me if they are interchangeable?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezookiel
The springs should be facing opposite directions on the CW vs. CCW, other than the the mount is the same.

Ok, this worries me. Mine came out of the box with the springs all facing the same direction.
I found that quite strange at the time. I felt at the time that two of them should face the other way.

Just to be on the safe side, I've ordered a whole new set of mounts with springs ... only the original plastic ones, but I'm only after the springs (and the spare hex screws), to make sure the springs are right on mine before I fly it much more.

The springs looks as if they are facing the same direction when looking in the manual for the Inspire 1.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2015-09-20 kl. 23.26.25.png
    Skärmavbild 2015-09-20 kl. 23.26.25.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
The springs looks as if they are facing the same direction when looking in the manual for the Inspire 1.

Thank you. I was going to search when I got to work, to see if I could find any photos or images showing the springs, because I was pretty sure they wouldn't come from the factory with the springs all facing the same way unless they were designed that way. If I'd had a hobby shop or the like build or modify it first, I'd have been quite concerned, but when you've unpacked it from the factory in all the original packaging - including the shipping packaging - you're generally able to be pretty sure it's right, and that's how mine was purchased.

The mounting plates are always the same. If there is a point or something written its just to put the right propeller on it. So you only have to think one you put the mounting plates on.

The only thing you must take care is to order the correct mounting plates as there are two types of motors used with the inspire which have the holes for the screws different.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I just changed back to the original thread on (self tightening) props with locks from the new QR props because they kept coming loose. I plan to stay with the self tightening props now.
I like the redundancy of the locks, and they don't come loose if installed properly. The additional time it takes to install them is seconds, and I have no problem with that.
I have lost my trust in the QR props and hardware so I may use them to decorate my office wall now.

I don't really get why they changed. I've only owned the QR type, and I do understand how active braking could loosen a self-tightening, but surely the locks they added were more than enough to solve that problem. Going to a whole new mount made of thin plastic was a step backwards from the ST-with-locks. It must be the number of air holes the locks block up that troubles DJI with the locks. I can't see any other reason that system isn't perfectly OK.

Anyway, I'm glad it's not just my imagination saying both the mounts are identical. I can't see myself needing a spare at the moment, but the fact that they're both identical means I technically have two metal spares even though they're both the same direction, and of course I've also got the brand new never used full set of original plastic ones too.

I am finding myself pulled toward going to ST ones with locks though. That would feel safer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What parts exactly came loose?
The props came loose on the mounting plates. I could rotate the prop almost 1/4" (measured at the tip) while holding the motor still. I measured the looseness (play) by using a light clamp to positively hold the motor from rotating and used a dial gauge to measure the play at the prop tip, actual play .246" that was the worst one. But too much for me. And yes I checked all the spring plates for proper (equal) tension.

The props came loose on the mounting plates. I could rotate the prop almost 1/4" (measured at the tip) while holding the motor still. I measured the looseness (play) by using a light clamp to positively hold the motor from rotating and used a dial gauge to measure the play at the prop tip, actual play .246" that was the worst one. But too much for me. And yes I checked all the spring plates for proper (equal) tension.
Indeed, that play bothered me also.
If during a harsh stop that play 'comes into play', the metal clips (quite thin and sharp) could shave off a notch of the plastic 'hub', if you even can call it that. Plastic can behave very differently with different temperatures. And when it dries out it gets very 'stable' and breaks quickly.
A metal threaded hub has no problem with temperatures. And the snap on locks provide an excellent safety backup.

Notice how DJI tries to reassure us by (suddenly) stating that the QR props are supposed to be 'carbon inforced'. Plain marketing BS. They are exactly the same material as the ST props (no mention of CF inforcement there).

It's so obvious .......are Chinese marketeers really that naive?

I'm currently using the carbon reinforced props on mine for no other reason than I liked the yellow stripe on them. If it makes it less likely for them to wear, then that's an added bonus. It does make them dearer to keep replacing if they do wear, because by the time they get to Australia it's almost $50 a set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
citylifeev123