Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Re: Range, food for thought

Yes... they do multipath rejection too. I guess they have a little better gain because of their doughnut radiation pattern. I use them all the time on racing rigs. I wasn't thinking.
So a mod to the image transmission antena of this sort makes sense right? The only thing I didn't love was the placement rear underside of the AC which will absolutely get in the way of 360 capability of the camera. Maybe facing down on one of the landing gear's center where the lift arm joint is.

Everytime I see a YT video or even post in the forums about long range, it pretty much always concentrates on the transmission power of the RC and if wanting to extend the range there is also only talk about boosted antennas for the RC, however only once have I read or seen/heard anything about the transmission power of the AC antennas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the video signal is being transmitted from the AC, shouldn't the transmission signal from the AC be the one boosted to increase range? Flight controls seem to not require the banwith or strength that the video signal needs. Now, does the RC actually reach out to the AC in order to receive the signal and pull it in? I know, I am ignorant about these things, but I believe the question is valid. The other day I saw a post or ad about someone modding the AC antena and replacing it with a "cloverleaf" one placed hanging down in the back of the inspire, am I wrong in believing that such an antenna will increace the range of transmission from the AC to the RC receiver, therefore increasing the quality and range of video signal?

Personally I’m not looking for extended range, more for the reduction of interference in areas high interference due to structures, heavy tree lines or various devices that reduce a stable reliable signal. By amping the signals, from my understanding for both transmit & receive; which greatly improves both signals and as a side benifit also enhances range substantially.

If you haven’t examined, check out Titan Drones (Commandcase), they offer several options for Omni in both circular & linear polarization, directional systems, all that can be used with higher gain without Amp or that can be coupled to a dual 3W Amps.

The Inspire 1 compared to Mavic Pro / Air, M210, Inspire 2 is greatly effected by surrounding interference. All the above 2.4 or 5.8 can benifit, but I’ve noticed a major improvement in the I1’s on video & RC signals.

A previous post indicated illegal to increase gain or amp, which I have no comment other than this is a reputable legal company making & selling products for Govt, police, Pro UAV businesses.

They are on the expensive side, but so is losing or replacing a camera or Bird. I recently purchased the “Switch” series of products and can change a few parts and use on multiple birds, RC’s or environments. I’m not a RF expert, just deep reading to understand... but the layman in me enjoys not seeing a warning about lost signal or video garbage.
Titan Drones, Inc.

Reactions: Mixchief
Personally I’m not looking for extended range, more for the reduction of interference in areas high interference due to structures, heavy tree lines or various devices that reduce a stable reliable signal. By amping the signals, from my understanding for both transmit & receive; which greatly improves both signals and as a side benifit also enhances range substantially.

If you haven’t examined, check out Titan Drones (Commandcase), they offer several options for Omni in both circular & linear polarization, directional systems, all that can be used with higher gain without Amp or that can be coupled to a dual 3W Amps.

The Inspire 1 compared to Mavic Pro / Air, M210, Inspire 2 is greatly effected by surrounding interference. All the above 2.4 or 5.8 can benifit, but I’ve noticed a major improvement in the I1’s on video & RC signals.

A previous post indicated illegal to increase gain or amp, which I have no comment other than this is a reputable legal company making & selling products for Govt, police, Pro UAV businesses.

They are on the expensive side, but so is losing or replacing a camera or Bird. I recently purchased the “Switch” series of products and can change a few parts and use on multiple birds, RC’s or environments. I’m not a RF expert, just deep reading to understand... but the layman in me enjoys not seeing a warning about lost signal or video garbage.
Titan Drones, Inc.
I beat you to the punch, last week I sent titan my RC and ordered the switch system it arrived on Thursday but unfortunately the weather in So Fla has been not conducive to any flying let alone distance tests, I will post and maybe do a YT video for the fun of it , Thanks for the advise though. I'm still going to explore the possibility of a cloverleaf birdside antenna if the Titan doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy and I feel could be better.

I beat you to the punch, last week I sent titan my RC and ordered the switch system it arrived on Thursday but unfortunately the weather in So Fla has been not conducive to any flying let alone distance tests, I will post and maybe do a YT video for the fun of it , Thanks for the advise though. I'm still going to explore the possibility of a cloverleaf birdside antenna if the Titan doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy and I feel could be better.
Great to hear and If like mine, you’ll notice a major improvement both in reception & transmit. The need for antenna on birdside should feel minimal. Incidentally, I purchased a cloverleaf style for the Yuneec CGO3+ Camera for same reasons and wasn’t anywhere as impressed as the Titan Switch 3W Amp.

Hope you enjoy it!
Got mine in April BTW...

Great to hear and If like mine, you’ll notice a major improvement both in reception & transmit. The need for antenna on birdside should feel minimal. Incidentally, I purchased a cloverleaf style for the Yuneec CGO3+ Camera for same reasons and wasn’t anywhere as impressed as the Titan Switch 3W Amp.

Hope you enjoy it!
Got mine in April BTW...
The CGO3 has an OEM cloverleaf inside it, did yo mean replace it with an external? My first drone was aQ500 4G, that's how I know.

The CGO3 has an OEM cloverleaf inside it, did yo mean replace it with an external? My first drone was aQ500 4G, that's how I know.
Yes it does, but still had poor range. Picked up one that was improved gain and yes, mounted it external on back of H480 underneath to improve transmission.
One of those that you can convince yourself of improvement, but reality was really not overly certain an improvement.

Yes it does, but still had poor range. Picked up one that was improved gain and yes, mounted it external on back of H480 underneath to improve transmission.
One of those that you can convince yourself of improvement, but reality was really not overly certain an improvement.
You are right about the CGO3s poor range, but funny enough when I "upgraded" to the Inspire 1 from the Q500 my range was the same, which was a serious bummer of course, in those days I was getting no more than half mile with either at my home location, after much fiddling I finally got the Inspire to deliver close to it's worth, finally with a $5 pseudo parabolic I started getting great image reliability a couple of just shy of 1 mile runs with nary a dropout. I guess I could be happy with that, but noooooo, I had to drop a mint on the Titan. I probably should have done that with the Q500 and called it a day LOL.

You are right about the CGO3s poor range, but funny enough when I "upgraded" to the Inspire 1 from the Q500 my range was the same, which was a serious bummer of course, in those days I was getting no more than half mile with either at my home location, after much fiddling I finally got the Inspire to deliver close to it's worth, finally with a $5 pseudo parabolic I started getting great image reliability a couple of just shy of 1 mile runs with nary a dropout. I guess I could be happy with that, but noooooo, I had to drop a mint on the Titan. I probably should have done that with the Q500 and called it a day LOL.
I've chatted with the Titan team and they do now have a ST16 RC to see what's involved with Yuneec.

But you hit it on the head with the I1. When in congestion area with other Radio Freq waves the I1 really falls short. Out on the open hills, it does pretty good. The Titan Amp... Switch or other is a real plus for stable RC & Video. I also got their taller higher gain (10-12") antennas and without the Amp, they are a big improvement too.

I mainly like the super stable signal around buildings, neighborhoods, etc. I know it'll provide some great long distance too by other's blogs... just haven't tried extended long range yet.

My experiments... Prior to the Titan Swith Amp, the Z3 or X3 on the I1 were poor range more so that the X5 or X5Raw mounted... or more accurate, the video stream with 5 & 5R are more fluid and does not experience screen paints or hangs. All 4 had major improvement with the Titan Switch.

The H480 & CGO3+ is still a great package. I'm considering adding a H520 to gain camera options. The best about Yuneec is total lack of NFZ chatter. Good for areas you need to fly without the hassle.

So far the best part to me other than stable RC signal of the Titan Switch Amp, versatility; buy a few extra mounts for all your other RC's (Mavic, I2, M600, M210, etc) and it's a 5 second swap from RC to RC or amp to non-amp. I am considering picking up a 2nd Switch... maybe in the 5.8 version, but they all work great on the 2.4 amp too.

Curious to your findings... let me know.

So far the best part to me other than stable RC signal of the Titan Switch Amp, versatility; buy a few extra mounts for all your other RC's (Mavic, I2, M600, M210, etc) and it's a 5 second swap from RC to RC or amp to non-amp. I am considering picking up a 2nd Switch... maybe in the 5.8 version, but they all work great on the 2.4 amp too.

Curious to your findings... let me know.
I agree, very convenient, though I only have one bird I intend to keep, the P3S will get fixed and sold I think, after I do a lot of ATTI practicing, I don't think the switch is compatible with it anyway. Believe it or not one thing that totally sold me was the convenience of removing the antennas all together as I don't have to modify my case or just not be able to fit the RC, my research found that all other boosted antenna were pretty permanent and therefore a PITA. There are still caveats as now I increased my setup and have to carry an additional case for the Titans and the added weight is making me think I need a tray and better balanced harness like the secraft

Weather is just clearing uo, it was crazy windy till a bit late today so I didn't gather my stones and fly, well Just now I decided that I had to do some sort of test of the tTitan Switch antenna, you know I almos always get an interference message inside my apartment when the RC is facing away from the AC, well with the boosted whips I walked out to the balcony and around the corner also a corner known for past loss of signal, not one hiccup, Im talkingAC in my living room and I am 3 apartments down around the corner, meaning 5 concrete walls away about 55' away, no loss of signal and just occasional loss of a HD bar. Oh snd btw, minimal latency, not even half than before. I'm impressed so far. I know not much of a test for some, I think it was pretty telling. More to follow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu