Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Recalibrating a lens for x5s in Go 4 app

Reaction score
Website
www.portlandprodrones.com
Hello,

In my first flight yesterday I didn't do the lens calibration correctly and would like to redo it. I am using an Olympus 12mm f2 lens. Does anyone know where to redo the calibration in the Go 4 app?

thanks, Chris

Hey Chris,

Get into DJI GoApp flight interface, to the flight control area (where you would see and control the drone in flight) go to Menu > Settings (i think it's the wrench icon) > Calibrate > Calibrate Now. Make sure the lens is all set up and focused the way you want it before entering calibration. Also you have to do your exposure, iso etc balancing before hand too.

Hope that helps, I don't have the app in front me so may be off a couple steps.

Wait how are you set up for calibration?? Lens calibration, is wrongly understood in general when it comes to drone lens calibration. You'll have to set you own specific focal range, as in the range or distance an item will be in focus right?

Here is what happened. When I first put the lens on and flew the drone, the Go 4 app ask me to focus on something at a far distance and then press ok. I miss understood and clicked okay and then did the focus. I believe I am trying to set the infinity focus for the lens? Also does the Inspire 2 have the capability for storing this information for a specific lens or will this need to be done each time I fly? I have a lot to learn about this. :)

Haha, no worries man. Everyone has to start somewhere! I haven't used any of the Olympus lenses before - but yea you want to set the infinity focus range as it'll be remembered by the app. Uhhh let's see if I get this right: I may be doing this the hard way but it's the only thing I remember right now; a 12mm f/2 you need to figure out the hyperfocal distance (the range or distance in which everything at that specific distance to infinity is in focus - something to remember for later. It should around 12 feet if the aperture is set at wide open of f/2 . So anything from 12 feet onwards will in focus. On the other hand f/22 which is on the other side of the aperture ring should have hyperfocal distance of a foot. Now these guesstimate are guesses obviously - you can figure them out when you're focusing the lens later

Ok here's the calibration part
1. You've got to find a place to set the drone that has free line of sight past at least 40 meters, ideally a line of sight to a very distinguishable object or wall etc

2. Now you need to open up the flight control screen and switch to photo mode if not there already.

3. In photo mode / turn on MF focus assistant which should be under menu > settings (the wrench). When MF focus is active, youll be able to see a loupe box (or zoomed in portion of frame thatll make your life easier to see at distance). If you want peaking which is a focusing aid, it'll basically shade the focused areas on your viewscreen (your tablet or phone in this case) - the option to select it is in general settings at the top right corner of the app

4. Pick a distance, far away - preferably more than a hundred but not so far that the loupe box has problems viewing focus at that length. probably anywhere between 70m to 200m youre good.
(this step is actually not needed, but i think it's best if you learnt it this way as it produces generally better results because more accurate as it has better focus peaking and assistance)

I say the step isnt need because DJI will normally ask you to do it via the video mode which sucks at focusing at range - and is not accurate / you want to get right the first time, adjusting via photo mode is the way to go. OK next step

5. Youre still in photo mode. Under the menu > video choose color and select a neutral or NONE profile. acutally use NONE. Youll change this before you fly later if you want - its the onboard color grading which I generally leave on D-LOG (but that's if you color grade your footage in post). Anyways its on NONE because it's the easiest color profile to focus in.

Select style: Landscape (which should be +1 sharpening and contrast I think, but it's my preferred focusing benchmark style)

6. Ok on to camera parameters

Camera parameters is the area with slider buttons, near or below the play / record buttons, chose A (aperture priority - you can find out about that later) and make the aperture ring is set at wide open, or in this case f2 (the smaller the number the bigger the aperture / vice versa - and in this regard the largest aperture is the best for general calibration setup)

7. Set the camera exposure levels correctly for whatever the camera is currently looking at, the overall scene shot if you will. Because you set aperture priority previously, choose AUTO iso and a relevant shutter speed (if its bright outside - no idea where you live so im going to assume it's daytime and youve got sunlight, the shutter speed should be anything between 100 to 350 if not more. you're going to have to eyeball it - and judge for yourself here by using the exposure value EV correction to get a good mix of light and dark - it should be balanced not too punchy (alot pf black areas bad) and not too overexposed (blown out white areas bad)

So if you, say, focused at a fire hydrant 90m itll center of your viewscre

Forget about the fire hydrant above.

8. Choose menu > settings > calibration >calibrate now and the app will switch to video mode and will enable auto focus mode. Thats fine. Now you want to tap the video and photo button and swtich back to photo mode - autofocus will still be on, leave it like that.

9. Youre in photo mode, youll be seeing youre scene / image view on the app - select that long range object / wall etc i mentioned earlier - make sure its static and not a bloody plane or someones *** or we'll be here all day. there should be a green bounding box that pops up at the point at which you tapped. this is telling you that the lens has focused on the selected area / object. ok heres where it gets one button technical, find the C1 button, its under the left thumbwheel on the controller. you press that to enter focus assistant which you shoudlve have enabled in the earlier steps - the camera will auto switch to manual focus

This is really helpful! Thank you for you time. :)
A question. Yesterday on my first flight the Go 4 app asked me to calibrate. I didn't do the steps you are indicating and so things were a bit fuzzy. Is there a setting or a button to cause the Go 4 app to ask for calibration again? How do I make it recalibrate?

Reactions: uasairsupport
Uhhh crap.. oh yea

use the left thumbwheel to focus on the selected object / area (if youre looking at white wall with nothing on it youve done a bad job - ideally you want something you can see corners, sharp edges multiple colors etc. depending on if you have to pull or push focus, left or right on the left thumbwheel will get you a sharper image. go back and forth over the point of focus as in the object should be fucking sharp as razor or as close to it as your viewing device allows focus. Aight, when youre here, you want to start bringing objevts into focus that are a little closer to the initial focusing object - then move the focus point back to the original object but dont go past that focal plane. you want to keep focus point on the object dont back focus on crap behind it. if theres red car 20 meters behind the original focus point, and you focus on it, the initial focus area would be lost and wont be in focus anymore. then hit OK to confirm calibration and then youre sorted - fucking dji should have a manual this ****

This is really helpful! Thank you for you time. :)
A question. Yesterday on my first flight the Go 4 app asked me to calibrate. I didn't do the steps you are indicating and so things were a bit fuzzy. Is there a setting or a button to cause the Go 4 app to ask for calibration again? How do I make it recalibrate?
Well if you didnt calibrate properly the first time, the onboard computer didnt have a lens focus profile to work off and thats why it was blurry. as far as i know theres no big red button or even small white button on the controller directly linked to recal because that would be really quite stupid aha. 'sorry scorsese i screwed up your aerial shot because i pressed that white button with leonardos head on it.' dji would be out of customers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc