Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Removing VPS module

Reaction score
Has anyone had the balls to fly without the VPS attached and see what happens?

I have removed mine, (mainly in order to 3d model it) but I turned the bird on without it, and to my suprise it doesnt make even one error message pop up.

It will still arm motors in GPS and ATTI mode.

Am I going to be the first to fly it like this and see what happens?

Reactions: CopterBob
Inpatient as I am, I can confirm that it flys inside in ATTI mode fine,

funnily enough the landing gear still auto raises at 1m AGL.

it doesn't come back down again though unless you tell it to.

What is more interesting are the camera mounting options under the craft once the VPS is gone,
I will work on a nice camera mount taking advantage of the new space.

The only problem I can forsee is landing in RTH, I guess it uses the sonar to reduce descent when it reads the ground,
I wonder what will happen, maybe it would just smash into the ground at full speed?
I read somewhere that the gear comes down before descent begins, so hopefully that shouldnt be a problem.

What is more interesting are the camera mounting options under the craft once the VPS is gone,
I will work on a nice camera mount taking advantage of the new space.

The only problem I can forsee is landing in RTH, I guess it uses the sonar to reduce descent when it reads the ground,
I wonder what will happen, maybe it would just smash into the ground at full speed?
I read somewhere that the gear comes down before descent begins, so hopefully that shouldnt be a problem.
The RTH/auto land would need the VPS/sonar unit to stop a high speed touchdown.

my first scratchbuild was tested over the double bed, with blankets and cushions all over the floor, it worked well.

let me know when you are back, maybe we can finally go and do some flying

Reactions: Kilrah
Just a quick update,

The inspire doesn't go into travel mode without the VPS attached......... doh.
Still that isn't a particular problem for me

Hey - i'm also in Dubai... keen to go flying any time now as the summer gives way to nicer weather...

I didnt try. I would suggest caution trying it though, perhaps the visual positioning is set up to be at the center of mass?
I only tried completely removing mine, and shifting it a few inches towards the front.

I didnt try. I would suggest caution trying it though, perhaps the visual positioning is set up to be at the center of mass?
I only tried completely removing mine, and shifting it a few inches towards the front.
Any photos of the wiring?
I would love to have sonar in front even the back behind the batt. Especially if the readings are still somewhat accurate.

Nope, afraid no photos. I did it on a company inspire and have left that company now.

What I did was desolder (carefully) the connector for the VPS from the circuit board. Then use a little ribbon cable to make it the length that I needed.

Reactions: slim.slamma
it would be great if i could install behind the i1 it can act as reverse sensor... because most of the time we dunno what happen behind us

Reactions: slim.slamma
thats not a bad idea, I woudl rather have it on the front. I wonder what would happen? obviously the visual position hold would need to be disabled. But I bet the ultrasonics would stil work and put the value on the screen in the app

thats not a bad idea, I woudl rather have it on the front. I wonder what would happen? obviously the visual position hold would need to be disabled. But I bet the ultrasonics would stil work and put the value on the screen in the app
We on the same page fosho now

Are you guys still having this conversation?
The reason I ask is my Inspire1 has decided not to go back into Travel Mode and I now believe there is a disconnect at the VPS. I have downgraded firmware on both AC & RC to 1.8 & 1.6.... still no go. Landing gear moves normally from full down to full up and back but no a Travel Mode... I am ready to buy a new VPS module and do surgery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207