Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Resurrecting an Inspire 1 original after 3 years

Reaction score
I'm attempting to resurrect an original Inspire 1 after 3 years in its traveling case. The hardware seems to work fine. All batteries (two for drone, and both controllers) have been charged, and the pilot controller connects to and controls the drone (at least the get out of transport mode, and tilting the camera angle with the wheel). However, I've either lost the iPad application for display and control, or updated inadvertently to the DJI Go app. The DJI Go app will come up, but it won't enter the Equipment mode, so I can't see the display downlink or any of the status displays and control icons. I've attempted to download a control app for the Inspire 1 from DJI, and I always end up with the DJI Go app, which doesn't work. Should I even have the DJI Go app on my iPad? Where do I go from here?

I'm attempting to resurrect an original Inspire 1 after 3 years in its traveling case. The hardware seems to work fine. All batteries (two for drone, and both controllers) have been charged, and the pilot controller connects to and controls the drone (at least the get out of transport mode, and tilting the camera angle with the wheel). However, I've either lost the iPad application for display and control, or updated inadvertently to the DJI Go app. The DJI Go app will come up, but it won't enter the Equipment mode, so I can't see the display downlink or any of the status displays and control icons. I've attempted to download a control app for the Inspire 1 from DJI, and I always end up with the DJI Go app, which doesn't work. Should I even have the DJI Go app on my iPad? Where do I go from here?
First off, congratulations on finding and resurrecting your old Inspire 1. Mine still generates about $25K annually. It's a good platform. That said...

If someone holds a gun to your head, do NOT update the firmware! FW v1.08.xx is the best, which I imagine you have. STAY WITH THAT. Take the bullet. Believe me. That said...

The best Go App version is v3.1.1. You MAY have allowed your Go App to update to a later version that no longer supports fully FW v1.08.xx. Downloading and installing legacy software requires some hoop jumping. I don't mind helping you with instructions, but ultimately, you WILL have to do research to figure some of this stuff out, as I loathe hand holding. If you have the initiative, I'll get you on the road to droning nirvana.

FWIW, I've been using FW v1.08.xx and Go App v3.1.1 for YEARS with great success and rock-solid reliability, which is how I am able to generate income using this classic platform.

If you have any questions I will answer them to a point, but ultimately you will have to do some research on your own.

Good luck.

D

Reactions: The Editor
First off, congratulations on finding and resurrecting your old Inspire 1. Mine still generates about $25K annually. It's a good platform. That said...

If someone holds a gun to your head, do NOT update the firmware! FW v1.08.xx is the best, which I imagine you have. STAY WITH THAT. Take the bullet. Believe me. That said...

The best Go App version is v3.1.1. You MAY have allowed your Go App to update to a later version that no longer supports fully FW v1.08.xx. Downloading and installing legacy software requires some hoop jumping. I don't mind helping you with instructions, but ultimately, you WILL have to do research to figure some of this stuff out, as I loathe hand holding. If you have the initiative, I'll get you on the road to droning nirvana.

FWIW, I've been using FW v1.08.xx and Go App v3.1.1 for YEARS with great success and rock-solid reliability, which is how I am able to generate income using this classic platform.

If you have any questions I will answer them to a point, but ultimately you will have to do some research on your own.

Good luck.

D
Apparently the DJI Go app version on my iPad (recently downloaded) is 3.1.66. Since I can't see into the drone's status, I don't really know what variant of firmware is loaded on it, but it's certainly at least 3 years old. I've have searched on the DJI.com site and couldn't find any path to download vintage applications. Suggestion as to where to start? One thing I've considered is finding someone with the right variant application and a willingness to share to just transfer a copy via something like WeTransfer.

Apparently the DJI Go app version on my iPad (recently downloaded) is 3.1.66. Since I can't see into the drone's status, I don't really know what variant of firmware is loaded on it, but it's certainly at least 3 years old.

More than likely, your bird's FW is v1.08.xx or earlier. Once you DO find out which FW you have, don't do a thing until you consult me or someone in-the-know.

I've have searched on the DJI.com site and couldn't find any path to download vintage applications.

Yes...unfortunately...from the mouths of babes...

Rolling back the DJI Go App isn't nearly that easy. Rolling back the software requires that you not only battle DJI for the .ipa file, but then you have to battle Apple to install it. Between the two, it's a challenge, but doable (depending on many factors I can't get into here).

Suggestion as to where to start?

Watch this video and then part 1. You don't have to do anything yet, but this will kind of give you an idea what you will have to deal with if you update that firmware.

Regarding your iPad, I need all your "About" information.

One thing I've considered is finding someone with the right variant application and a willingness to share to just transfer a copy via something like WeTransfer.
Again, from the mouths of babes... It's not nearly that easy.

Start by giving me your iPad's "About" information. I'm willing to help you out, by I loathe hand holding. I'll give you enough information to jump start you to searches that should get you going.

D

More than likely, your bird's FW is v1.08.xx or earlier. Once you DO find out which FW you have, don't do a thing until you consult me or someone in-the-know.

Yes...unfortunately...from the mouths of babes...

Rolling back the DJI Go App isn't nearly that easy. Rolling back the software requires that you not only battle DJI for the .ipa file, but then you have to battle Apple to install it. Between the two, it's a challenge, but doable (depending on many factors I can't get into here).

Watch this video and then part 1. You don't have to do anything yet, but this will kind of give you an idea what you will have to deal with if you update that firmware.

Regarding your iPad, I need all your "About" information.

Again, from the mouths of babes... It's not nearly that easy.

Start by giving me your iPad's "About" information. I'm willing to help you out, by I loathe hand holding. I'll give you enough information to jump start you to searches that should get you going.

D
The iPad I had been using and was planning on using again: SW Version 12.4.8; Model iPad mini 2; Model no. MF087LL/A. I'll watch the video. Thanks for your efforts thus far! It's the first break I've gotten on this problem.

The iPad I had been using and was planning on using again: SW Version 12.4.8; Model iPad mini 2; Model no. MF087LL/A. I'll watch the video. Thanks for your efforts thus far! It's the first break I've gotten on this problem.
The iOS version is unfortunate. You won't be able to use iTunes to hack it. I use iMazing for my iOS v12.3.1 iPad Pro, Gen 3. For my other iPads running iOS v12.1.4 or sooner, I am able to use a legacy version of iTunes.

I would consider an iPad Pro Gen 1 or Gen 2 or even an iPad Air. They can be had for fairly cheap on eBay. If you want to go the iMazing route, that's a pay program, albeit, not expensive. I use the Windows version. I have no idea how to use the iOS version or if one even exists.

D

I've watched your firmware update video, parts 1 & 2 (and subscribed). I hope I don't to do that, but it seems doable. I've continued probing around on the DJI site (store/support) and haven't yet found a way to locate the older app.

The iOS version is unfortunate. You won't be able to use iTunes to hack it. I use iMazing for my iOS v12.3.1 iPad Pro, Gen 3. For my other iPads running iOS v12.1.4 or sooner, I am able to use a legacy version of iTunes.

I would consider an iPad Pro Gen 1 or Gen 2 or even an iPad Air. They can be had for fairly cheap on eBay. If you want to go the iMazing route, that's a pay program, albeit, not expensive. I use the Windows version. I have no idea how to use the iOS version or if one even exists.

D
I searched the Apple app store for iMazing and it only found image conversion apps, and nothing named iMazing.
I also have an iPad mini3, but it's running the same software.

I searched the Apple app store for iMazing and it only found image conversion apps, and nothing named iMazing.
It won't be on the Apple app store for obvious reasons!!
Did you try Google!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Sorry I wasn't clear. iMazing replaces iTunes, which both run on Windows. iMazing is a Windows program.

D

Sorry I wasn't clear. iMazing replaces iTunes, which both run on Windows. iMazing is a Windows program.

D
Actually I found it (iMazing 2) and downloaded it ($50/3 devices). It runs on my Mac and allows managing things on the iPad. Is it supposed to run on the iPad? What is the intent here?

Just FYI: I'm a 76 year old retiree, who is somewhat technically savvy, though usually there were tech experts (like DF) who did this stuff. I do want to get the drone going so I can take photos/videos for strictly recreational purposes.

Actually I found it (iMazing 2) and downloaded it ($50/3 devices). It runs on my Mac and allows managing things on the iPad. Is it supposed to run on the iPad? What is the intent here?
Well....before I answer your questions, I need to know how new are you to all of this. You've had the drone for 3 years. So I assume a basic understanding of "all things drone," which includes understanding the iPad and the software.

Can I assume you've connected iTunes to your iPad at least a couple times in the past???

Just FYI: I'm a 76 year old retiree, who is somewhat technically savvy, though usually there were tech experts (like DF) who did this stuff. I do want to get the drone going so I can take photos/videos for strictly recreational purposes.

Copy that. Per the videos I shared with you, the only real plaguing problem with the Inspire 1 is the video feed issues with some permissions issues tossed in. Curing these issues permanently requires some understanding of Firmware and Software - which includes some basic understanding of your iPad and its relationship with iTunes.

So if you can give me a better feel of where you are technically, I can start accordingly. I'm glad to hear that you consider yourself "technically savvy." That is going to be a big plus.

D

I've had an inspire one since 2016 and flew it regularly for at least 3 years. Love it. Well I have to say that I've updated the firmware on the drone batteries and controller to the lastest version whenever that was. Never had any major issues with the firmware. The biggest problem I've ever had with my inspire one where the batteries how are you dealing with the fact that you can't get OEM batteries anymore. If you find one they're super expensive I have five and three have severely limited flight time. I still have it don't plan on selling it but I'm not flying it as much as a result.

I may not be so technically savvy by your standards, but better than most.... Most of my use of iTunes has been for music on my desktop, but I have used it to interface with an iPhone (and iPad, I think) to download photos and files, in particular. This is rare. Looking at the new "Music" in the desktop, and at iMazing, I can see that iMazing has a lot of iPad control features. Thanks for pointing me to that. And for making it clear that I don't want to update the F/W. General plan to get to having 3.1.1 DJI Go on the iPad? I assume it involves acquiring (somehow) the DJI Go app in a .ipa file format (which I assume converts to a .app format when it loads and links to the necessary iOS elements, and installs and links to the icon), then loading it onto the iPad and activating it to do the conversion.

Last edited:
I've had an inspire one since 2016 and flew it regularly for at least 3 years. Love it. Well I have to say that I've updated the firmware on the drone batteries and controller to the lastest version whenever that was. Never had any major issues with the firmware. The biggest problem I've ever had with my inspire one where the batteries how are you dealing with the fact that you can't get OEM batteries anymore. If you find one they're super expensive I have five and three have severely limited flight time. I still have it don't plan on selling it but I'm not flying it as much as a result.
Actually, while you were flying yours, mine was in the carry case. I haven't really started flying it because the iPad app won't get into the Equipment mode that lets you see the camera downlink and has all the nice control icons and status displays. I've only used a battery to get it out of transport mode. I did note that it is difficult to remove insert and remove that battery, so I suspect it may have swollen a bit. I have the standard battery and one of the larger ones, and they both seemed to charge up fine. I have no idea how long they'll last in flight as I haven't gotten into flight mode.

I may not be so technically savvy by your standards, but better than most.... Most of my use of iTunes has been for music on my desktop, but I have used it to interface with an iPhone (and iPad, I think) to download photos and files, in particular. This is rare. Looking at the new "Music" in the desktop, and at iMazing, I can see that iMazing has a lot of iPad control features. Thanks for pointing me to that. And for making it clear that I don't want to update the F/W. General plan to get to having 3.1.1 DJI Go on the iPad? I assume it involves acquiring (somehow) the DJI Go app in a .ipa file format (which I assume converts to a .app format when it loads and links to the necessary iOS elements, and installs and links to the icon), then loading it onto the iPad and activating it to do the conversion.
You're in the ballpark. An .ipa file is the iPad's version of an .exe file. But with a catch.

Unlike Windows, you can't just download .ipa files and go to town. You have to use your Apple account to download the .ipa file through iTunes. Ergo; the .ipa installation file is married to your account. Ergo; you can only install this .ipa file on YOUR iPad. So even though I have an .ipa file, I can't give it to you because you will need MY account credentials to install it on YOUR iPad. So...

The hack is to download the Go App via Charles Proxy via iTunes. There's a YouTuber called DigDat0 who is, in my opinion, the leading expert on the subject. Here's a link to his Charles Proxy videos:

Big fat warning: He doesn't delete old videos. So watch ALL of them. Or at least be cognizant of the upload date and watch the latest one. I honestly recommend watching all of them.

There is another YouTuber who also does an excellent job of describing the Charles Proxy regimen. I can't seem to find his link, but I'll look for it and let you know if I find it.

To be clear, you will use Charles Proxy in conjunction with a legacy version of iTunes to download the .ipa file. I recommend iTunes 12.5.4.42. Because of your iOS version, you will use iMazing to INSTALL the legacy file. Having the correct iTunes version will save you tons of time.

Here's the apperxtvrsid number for Go App v3.1.1: 819954562 Just having this number will save you a butt-load of time.

Let me know how it goes.

D

You're in the ballpark. An .ipa file is the iPad's version of an .exe file. But with a catch.

Unlike Windows, you can't just download .ipa files and go to town. You have to use your Apple account to download the .ipa file through iTunes. Ergo; the .ipa installation file is married to your account. Ergo; you can only install this .ipa file on YOUR iPad. So even though I have an .ipa file, I can't give it to you because you will need MY account credentials to install it on YOUR iPad. So...

The hack is to download the Go App via Charles Proxy via iTunes. There's a YouTuber called DigDat0 who is, in my opinion, the leading expert on the subject. Here's a link to his Charles Proxy videos:

Big fat warning: He doesn't delete old videos. So watch ALL of them. Or at least be cognizant of the upload date and watch the latest one. I honestly recommend watching all of them.

There is another YouTuber who also does an excellent job of describing the Charles Proxy regimen. I can't seem to find his link, but I'll look for it and let you know if I find it.

To be clear, you will use Charles Proxy in conjunction with a legacy version of iTunes to download the .ipa file. I recommend iTunes 12.5.4.42. Because of your iOS version, you will use iMazing to INSTALL the legacy file. Having the correct iTunes version will save you tons of time.

Here's the apperxtvrsid number for Go App v3.1.1: 819954562 Just having this number will save you a butt-load of time.

Let me know how it goes.

D
THANKS!! Once again. I had come upon on of his videos while searching around. It apparently was an older one, as it had much older DJI Go ipa files. I tried to use the Google Docs spreadsheet url in his video to get to a number for the 3.1.1 version, but was told that document doesn't exist anymore (either that or I messed up on the very long case sensitive url entry). I've also linked to the iPa4Fun site, which gives a nice list of older versions and top level release notes, but takes you to the Apple App store (for reasons you describe) for download, which always gives you the 31.66 version. Thanks for the vectors -- once again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game