Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

REVIEW: Smart Power Charger DJI Inspire 1 SPC4500

Any updates on the mentioned firmware update for the SPC4500 Smart Powercharge unit? I hope that it will allow us to select a Storage charge mode in addition to the existing Full charge mode.

Sadly not, I know its been requested but nothing much has been talked about firmware upgrades since it was released. Storage charge would be such a useful feature. As soon as I am finished using my batteries for the day they go straight into storage. Apart from that its an amazing piece of equipment. I have been working in a cold hangar this weekend and the charger acted like a battery warmer, so there is another use for it :).

I know someone with an electronics background who has taken one of these apart and he reckons it is not firmware upgradeable like it reckons it is. the USB port does not attach to anything that can be updated. Obviously I cannot confirm this as I'm not an electronics expert but there has never been an update released for it and the question has been dodged on Facebook groups and people have been kicked off groups for asking same question

As a charger it's excellent and does the job without the needs to have 4 separate chargers on the go for the batteries and others for iPads etc. Firmware upgradeable?? Until I see proof of that I'm unsure

Last edited:
I have a job where I need to move from location to location in a day and I was wondering if while charging could this charger be unplugged with the batteries left in it and moved to the new location and plugged back in or would I need to remove and reinsert the batteries for each move?

I have a job where I need to move from location to location in a day and I was wondering if while charging could this charger be unplugged with the batteries left in it and moved to the new location and plugged back in or would I need to remove and reinsert the batteries for each move?
I use the SPC4500 to store my batteries after charging. I simply lift each battery so that it sits of the plastic contact protector. There should be nothing stopping you doing likewise in transit. When you get to the next location simply drop the batteries back into the charger and power up. The only way this won't work is when the battery is near fully charged before it won't automatically start charging again. Here you need to switch the battery on to complete the charge. My only advice is that if your journey in over rough ground the batteries will bounce and damage themselves and the charger. In this case a battery case would be safer.

Hello there!

I just received a brand new SPCM100 (the one replacing the SPC4500) and have first used by deep-cycling a set of batteries for my Inspire 1. I'm already very happy with the charger as I see it as a real time-saver. In business, time is money!

Quick question for the owners of SmartPowerCharge units.... Do the charger green leds of each battery slot remain lit after a battery is fully charged? I read the quick start guide and I expected the slot green led to turn off after its battery became fully charged (in similar fashion to the battery leds) but this did not happen with the set I deep-cycled yesterday.

Hello there!

I just received a brand new SPCM100 (the one replacing the SPC4500) and have first used by deep-cycling a set of batteries for my Inspire 1. I'm already very happy with the charger as I see it as a real time-saver. In business, time is money!

Quick question for the owners of SmartPowerCharge units.... Do the charger green leds of each battery slot remain lit after a battery is fully charged? I read the quick start guide and I expected the slot green led to turn off after its battery became fully charged (in similar fashion to the battery leds) but this did not happen with the set I deep-cycled yesterday.
Welcome to the forum. The batteries LEDs extinguish and charging stops when they reach full charge. Sometimes the Deep Cycle does not work fully as advertised, but the LEDs usually go out. It is important that the battery is powered on and the Deep Cycle button is pressed before you insert the battery. The battery is first discharges before the charge cycle starts.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. The batteries LEDs extinguish and charging stops when they reach full charge. Sometimes the Deep Cycle does not work fully as advertised, but the LEDs usually go out. It is important that the battery is powered on and the Deep Cycle button is pressed before you insert the battery. The battery is first discharged before the charge cycle starts.

Thanks Scot! Lots of helpful insight in this forum. Been reading a lot lately! Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to the community as my knowledge of the platform improves.

I did as you mention for the deep cycle.

The only real issue (probably a non-issue at all) is if the green led light on the charger slot is expected to turn off when the charging cycle finishes and the bat has reached 26.2V, as indicated by the display and the bat leds becoming off.

After reading the charger instructions I was under the impression that the charger green light would blink when charging a bat in that slot and that it would turn off when the bat had become charged. I charged another set of batteries this morning and the slot led stayed green for the whole charging cycle and beyond (battery leds had already turned off).

Hello there!

Quick question please-
Do the batteries still have to be below a certain level (like 25%) before you can begin a discharge cycle?

Thanks.

I read they recommend below 30%. I had one that I just sold and at 30% it would take a while to discharge, so I think if the plan is to do the cycle, get it down to 20% or lower then do the discharge cycle.

Hi.

I was looking at one of these and the price of somewhere near £500...doing the maths if you want all 4 charging at once...buy another 3 DJI chargers , cost about £100...a saving of £400 and doing the same job..I know which path i'll be taking.
And If you need more batteries charging...buy more chargers..

Hi.

I was looking at one of these and the price of somewhere near £500...doing the maths if you want all 4 charging at once...buy another 3 DJI chargers , cost about £100...a saving of £400 and doing the same job..I know which path i'll be taking.
And If you need more batteries charging...buy more chargers..

To each his own. Yes, the charger is expensive but so is everything else related to DJI products. I got my Smart Charger about a year ago and my only compliant is I waited so long to pull the trigger. You do know you can plug your iPad and transmitter in to the charger while the batteries are charging-yes? Again its a question that each person has to decide for themselves. For me it was a no-brainer. I love my Smart Charger and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Mine died the other day. Won't power up any longer after powering off by itself in the middle of a charge cycle.

Used it maybe 3 dozen times or so.
Sucks.

Mine died the other day. Won't power up any longer after powering off by itself in the middle of a charge cycle.

Used it maybe 3 dozen times or so.
Sucks.

Ouch!
I don't know the exact number of times I have used mine only that it has never failed me. Have you contacted the company yet? I would hope they can repair your charger. How long have you owned it? Possibly still under warranty? I know I am playing the Devils Advocate here but everything man-made breaks down at some point. I wouldn't give up just yet if I were you. It may turn out to be something as simple as a breaker that kicked off inside the charger. I sincerely hope things work out for you! Please keep us posted here as to the outcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669