Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Seagulls & hawks

Reaction score
What are the recommendations to mitigate the potential of seagulls and hawks from attacking or inadvertently coming into contact with a UAV during mapping missions?

To mitigate bird encounters during autonomous mapping missions the PIC must be visually aware of the copter and it's surroundings. Easier said then done, but there are no easy answers for this question. I have read that if you are being attacked by a hawk or eagle it is best to climb rapidly because birds can descend more easily than climb quickly. I have not had the opportunity to test this theory and have only descended quickly when very close to a cell tower with no contact with either the bird or tower.

This is a great question for discussion, thanks for posting!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, PIC always needs to be situationally aware. During a mapping mission, the UAV is flying a pre-programmed path. Guess one would need to immediately take it out of f-mode and manually quickly climb and rerun the mission and hope the hawk doesn't attack again.

They do not seem to like the colors red and yellow. There is also what they call bird scare tape but if it is breeding season or you are near their nest there is not much besides a gun that will stop them.

What are the recommendations to mitigate the potential of seagulls and hawks from attacking or inadvertently coming into contact with a UAV during mapping missions?
I have deleted your duplicate thread - please do not double post it is against our forum rules.

This question has come up previously - here is one thread on the specific subject. There are others.
Bird attack !!! How to prevent ? For i1

I have deleted your duplicate thread - please do not double post it is against our forum rules.

This question has come up previously - here is one thread on the specific subject. There are others.
Bird attack !!! How to prevent ? For i1

Editor: Time is money. I had time to post the question and not the time to search through the all the posts that may be similar. I did not duplicate my specific post and therefore see that you overstepped your authority.

Last edited:
Editor: Time is money. I had time to post the question and not the time to search through the all the posts that may be similar. I did not duplicate my specific post and therefore see that you overstepped your authority.
Here is the text which I have copy and pasted from the thread/post I deleted which you posted in the General Discussion section.
Quote:
“What are the recommendations to mitigate the potential of seagulls and hawks from attacking or inadvertently coming into contact with a UAV during mapping missions?”

Perhaps, for whatever reason, you do not consider two posts that are identical verbatim as a duplication. I however do which is why one got deleted.
If you are so busy with time and money you probably just haven’t had a chance to read our forum rules so therefore I not only draw your attention to the fact that duplicate posts are against our rules and will be deleted but also rule number nine:
9. Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

I have also deleted your thread ‘Birds’ since this appears to be a deliberate attempt to antagonize.
I do not ‘hide’ my profile nor do I block or disallow private messaging to my inbox as you have suggested elsewhere.

Whoa! Cool your jets. Honey always works better than vinegar......

Not even automated flights. I started fly with a visual observer even when I am doing simple and close client video work as I have had close calls with pigeons. I find that you need someone to be watching the bird at all times so that you can frame and film your shots. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I was in dange of being attached but even a small accidental contact can knock your drone out of the sky.

My 2 cents, r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry