Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball...

“Toe to toe”? That’s absurd. Read my signature. You very simply dont know what you dont know.

Please educate me as to what I'm missing. I understand sectional charts. I understand the NAS. I know the rules. I follow the rules. And even more recently, I communicate with towers when necessary, and have been doing this for YEARS. If you believe having a 107 or knowing the physics of a stall on a fixed wing is the magic key to being a safe drone pilot, I have some land just East of Corpus Christi I'd like to sell you. I say being a WELL-PRACTICED drone pilot makes one a safe drone pilot. Understanding the rules (NAS, Sectional Charts, etc.) insures against collision. Understanding the DRONE, the software, firmware, hardware, and how it all connects and works insures against "uncontrolled descents." Surely you agree that fully understanding one's equipment is a HUGE part of the safety pie, yes? Don't you agree? The 107 has ZERO questions regarding the mechanics of a quadcopter, which is the chosen UAS for most professional drone pilots. Doesn't that bother you?

All those credentials you have, and you think having a 107 makes you a good and/or safe drone pilot? Here's a crazy thought. How about years of practice and understand the hardware, firmware and software that facilitates flight of the UAS? Don't you think THAT knowledge has MORE VALUE than that silly piece of paper?

I’m not going to get into a pissing contest with a dangerous ignorant hack.

Then you shouldn't have taken the first piss. And if it's ignorance you're looking for, look no further than the mirror. Turns out, you think owning a 107 certificate is the magic key to being a skilled UAS pilot. That's actually pretty funny. The 107 isn't a "license," my friend. It's a certificate. Hopefully, you understand the difference.

You have a good evening.

Last edited:
I was also one of eight airline pilots chosen by the FAA in the early 90s to prove the first GPS approaches in the nation. These were into Aspen Colorado (6deg glideslope, in winter, to an upwardly-sloping runway (c.9 degree flare-transition)). I’m also a published Technical Fellow recognized internationally as an expert in aviation regulatory issues. Still wanna have a go? Maybe I’m lying, but maybe im not. Wanna be humiliated?

And I performed in a rock band in Aspen, Colorado all through the '80s and '90s. So I guess that makes us both equally qualified UAS pilots.

My point, that I think you get, is that the skill set used to fly a plane has nothing to do with remote piloting a UAS. For the love of all that is holy, I surely hope you can concede to that. It's like saying you can ride a bicycle because you have a CDL. Yes, they're both modes of transportation, but the similarities end there. The fact that I haven't run into any "planes full of children" is NO ACCIDENT. I KNOW where planes fly. I simply don't fly there. Simple.

If I gave you a choice of two pilots to map 30 city acres, would you choose the guy with the 107? Or the guy who's done hours of drone R&D so he could gain a full understanding of the hardware, firmware and software that controls the UAS, and all it's shortcomings, bug and caveats? Which guy is more like to down his drone? The guy that just does all the updates like all the other lemmings you read about who crash or lose their drones daily in this forum? Or the guy who's spent hours finding all the bugs and caveats that cause crashes and loss of signal in the first place?

I'm not saying I know everything. But I know a F*** of a lot more than 90% of the guys bragging about their 107. I could test and get the thing tomorrow. But I know having that piece of paper means nothing more than 150 bucks for the FAA. Unlike a car license, ANYBODY can get a 107, including people who have NEVER FLOWN IN THEIR LIFE. Let that sink in. If you can't see the injustice in that, then I guess we should just agree to disagree.

Seriously dude. You’re freakin’ dangerous and you need to be called out. Done.

Yes...why don't you save the world from a guy who's been flying UAS 30+ years with zero damage to people or property. You'd be a real hero.

Last edited:
Oh what the hell.....SRTM? I served as one of the principle Systems Engineers on the mid-90s synthetic-vision validation mapping of the Matterhorn in Switzerland (<1 arcsecond), funded by NASA and program-managed by TUD Darmstadt. Be careful who you challenge my friend.

Okay...so you know what SRTM is. Don't you think THAT should be on the 107? Don't you think understanding SRTM and what it does when applied to drone waypoints is an important part of a good UAS pilot's safety regimen?

@ Donnie Frank - So... you are running a business without a Part 107?... That's what it sounds like - I'm confused. Because if you are, how can you get a waiver for the things you are doing?

Depending on the gig, I'm either camera op (which requires no 107), or I work under my business partner's 107. He's a pilot, so he just took the online test.

You can't compare R/C ops with what you say you're doing.

I disagree. I use the same skills to fly my quadcopter that I acquired flying my Baron 50 gasser. Except the gasser was WAY more dangerous and MUCH harder to fly.

I was an AMA member for about 10 years. Flew F3J and F3C at the 1985 ToC in Vegas. I flew .30-.60 size 700 class helis, 3m sailplanes, pattern ships, etc. R/C at a field is only semi-relevant to making $ doing work-by-drone.

How can you possibly say that all that RC flying didn't help shape your skills as a UAS pilot?

And I'm not convinced that at no time flying R/C that you NEVER put a bird in the dirt.

Of course I did....a couple times. I said I never caused damage to people or property, which is absolutely 100% true. I never said that I never crashed.

R/C airfields are like little safe pockets of airspace.

Unless they're smack-dab in the middle of Class D airspace like the George Maloof Air Park I spoke of earlier.

No wires, people leave you alone when you're airborne, nice landing strips, etc.

Yep. Great place to learn and practice. I live a mere couple miles from one.

I left the AMA after I got tired of the "nose in the air" attitude of my peers. People forgot what it was like to fly for enjoyment, and were too worried about what they had vs. the next person. I certainly don't need them now for insurance.

My local AMA has a totally different vibe than yours. No noses in the air. And they don't care WHAT you fly.

Be careful about that "run rings around others" thing. I've found that no matter how good a person thinks they are, there's always someone who is better.

I couldn't agree more. I am NOT the world's best UAS pilot. I'm just saying that the 107 is NO guarantee of safety or knowledge. And I'll double down on that by saying that the 107 actually seems to give people some kind of feeling of dangerous entitlement, like the certificate actually does something for their skill set. Now that the FAA has given them "expert in a can" via the 107 certificate, they can do no wrong. And I'll triple down with the fact that the 107 doesn't even touch on the subjects it SHOULD be teaching....like how to respond to various UAS emergencies and/or anomalies.

Look...I get that some guys are in love with the 107. SOME of the things it teaches are really good. I concede to that. But the 107 is HORRIDLY incomplete. And if you can't concede to that, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

D

Depending on the gig, I'm either camera op (which requires no 107), or I work under my business partner's 107. He's a pilot, so he just took the online test.

I disagree. I use the same skills to fly my quadcopter that I acquired flying my Baron 50 gasser. Except the gasser was WAY more dangerous and MUCH harder to fly.

How can you possibly say that all that RC flying didn't help shape your skills as a UAS pilot?

Of course I did....a couple times. I said I never caused damage to people or property, which is absolutely 100% true. I never said that I never crashed.

Unless they're smack-dab in the middle of Class D airspace like the George Maloof Air Park I spoke of earlier.

Yep. Great place to learn and practice. I live a mere couple miles from one.

My local AMA has a totally different vibe than yours. No noses in the air. And they don't care WHAT you fly.

I the 107 doesn't even touch on the subjects it SHOULD be teaching....like how to respond to various UAS emergencies and/or anomalies.

Look...I get that some guys are in love with the 107. SOME of the things it teaches are really good. I concede to that. But the 107 is HORRIDLY incomplete. And if you can't concede to that, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

D

Following your logic, a guy with impressive knife skills he picked up on the streets could call himself a surgeon, despite never having studied — and proven his understanding of — anatomy. Credentials mean something, they are not just pieces of paper (the only people who claim they don’t are the folks who don’t have them).

Here’s what it boils down to...

1. nothing conclusive can be said as regards the “professionalism” of folks who do have their 107 ticket.

But....

2. something completely conclusive can be said as regards the “professionalism” of folks who do not have their 107 ticket but engage in commercial activities regardless; they are unprofessional right out of the gate. When revealed they should be prosecuted. (I won’t dox you, but I could).

Drone pilots MUST be understood (by all) to be real pilots! In order for that to actually take hold inside and outside the industry, drone pilots must commit to doing their part (and more) in acting legally and professionally. Your fierce defense of your incomplete education (evidenced by the apparent lack of credentials other than self-proclaimed), is doing the industry no favors in its complete lack of any semblance of professionalism. I’m done; this thread has turned to the absurd.

Following your logic, a guy with impressive knife skills he picked up on the streets could call himself a surgeon, despite never having studied —

No sir. That is a false equivalency. A better analogy would be a guy who picked up a knife and has been operating successfully on his local constituents without a single death without a college education or degree. THAT is an accurate analogy.

Ironically, your analogy describes UAS OWNERSHIP and the 107 quite accurately. Your assertion is that just because a guy BUYS a drone (picks up a knife), and takes a test, that he somehow becomes a good, safe pilot via osmosis. It's like the knife owner studied the test material and passed the test without ever operating on a single person. THAT is a very accurate analogy.

and proven his understanding of — anatomy. Credentials mean something, they are not just pieces of paper (the only people who claim they don’t are the folks who don’t have them).

Sure...I'll concede that some credentials in some situations are good and in some cases necessary. My position is that the 107 is NOT one of those credentials. It lacks testing for practical skills, harps on subjects no drone pilot will ever need or use (like airport road markings of where to taxi, where to drive, etc., when we're not supposed to be anywhere near an airport), and completely ignores important subjects, like the steps one should take to insure UAS equipment is well-tested and in good working order.

I'd bet you a paycheck I could turn out a safer pilot in one day of teaching than anyone you know who passed the 107 with a 100% grade.

Here’s what it boils down to...

1. nothing conclusive can be said as regards the “professionalism” of folks who do have their 107 ticket.

But....

2. something completely conclusive can be said as regards the “professionalism” of folks who do not have their 107 ticket but engage in commercial activities regardless; they are unprofessional right out of the gate. When revealed they should be prosecuted. (I won’t dox you, but I could).

You are completely wrong. Why on Earth you would assume that credentials make the person is beyond me. You can use almost any trade as an example. Plumbing....electrical...mechanical. Do you trust the mechanic who has been working on cars successfully for 30 years? Or the new kid with a bevy of ASE certifications who's worked on 10 cars in his life? Your assertion that "more credentials = more professionalism" is completely erroneous. And I could come up with a dozen examples to completely refute and debunk that assertion. Completely.

I could even cite your own profession....aviation. How many hot-shot pilots came up through the ranks who started off crop dusting when they were 13?? Yes, they eventually got the license so they could have the government "holier than thou" stamp so they could work as a commercial pilot. But they flew for years without it.

Drone pilots MUST be understood (by all) to be real pilots!

Agreed. Drone pilot skills are very important. But the 107 doesn't produce real pilots. It produces weekend warriors who NOW are allowed to work professionally despite picking up their P4P at the local Best Buy just days earlier. How dangerous is that?!?!?!

How you can not see the flaw in a such a system is beyond me.

In order for that to actually take hold inside and outside the industry, drone pilots must commit to doing their part (and more) in acting legally and professionally.

Sure. Agreed. I do that every time I fly. If you think I just pick up my drone and drive out to jobs willy-nilly, you are sorely mistaken. I study the sectional chart to find out what airspace I'm in. I study the weather (especially the wind) via windy.com. If I'm in Class D space, I get the number of the manager, call him, and inform him of UAS operations before, during and after operations are done. If we work in Class D doing film, we have a NAV/COM radio and a dedicated radio operator to keep an ear and eye out for all aviation traffic.

Believe me, my friend, I don't just pack up my drone and fly all around Class C airspace without so much as a thought. You have a completely wrong picture of the kind of pilot I am. I not only possess all the knowledge one might gain by taking the 107, but I have a bevy of knowledge that goes far beyond the 107 that most pilots don't even know exist.

You asked me earlier about GPS. Well how much do you know about IMU's, electronic compasses, ESC's, their current limits, UAS flight controllers, accelerometers, gyrosensors, etc. How much do you know about LiPo batteries and their proper care? How do you store them? What steps do you take to ensure their longevity and reliable performance? What signs do you look for to know a LiPo may be ready to fail? What kind of battery logs do you keep?

You're an experienced pilot and RC pilot, so maybe you know a lot. But how much does your typical 107 pilot know about these very vital systems that they use every time they fly? Do you concede that it's very important to understand these systems? Do you also concede that the 107 doesn't even touch on these systems? Yet the 107 tests you on METARs, stall, cloud types and, for the love of all that is holy, airport signage. If my drone is ever close enough to an airport to read the road signs, "signage" is the LEAST of my problems. Absurd.

Your fierce defense of your incomplete education

Certification is not education. Certification means you can pass a test. Education isn't just studying or classroom experience. REAL education requires real-world experience. And if you can't see that, then I can't help you.

(evidenced by the apparent lack of credentials other than self-proclaimed), is doing the industry no favors..."

My clients would highly disagree. I do awesome work with a 100% safety record.

in its complete lack of any semblance of professionalism.

Your opinion.

I’m done; this thread has turned to the absurd.

Ahhh...we agree on something. Now take your football and go home.

Your problem is you lack the ability to concede on anything. That just makes you stubborn. I have conceded to many of your points. If you lack the ability to concede, be educated or learn something, then that makes all your comments completely self serving. I'm here to learn. So far, you haven't shared anything I haven't heard a thousand times from other FAA trolls. And if all you got out of this was "people without a 107 are dangerous," the you are blind, deaf and dumb.

The 107 is the icing on the cake. It's not the cake.

Good day, sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
Classic example of a thread losing its wheels and going into the weeds.

High Flight Media has been reported to the FAA. Report included a transcript of this highly incriminating thread. This guy’s complete inability to acknowledge the limitations of his knowledge is disturbing and dangerous; i wasnt engaging in rhetorical fencing, I was/am (must be!) extremely serious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide