Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
I find it hard to believe that in the few seconds to fly under the roof you lost all GPS satellites, I can initiate my I 1 v2 sitting on my living room floor and still tag 3 or 4 satellites, using dji go not go4.
4 satellites is the absolute bare minimum for GPS to function. I will not fly in P-GPS with anything under 10 satellites.

What do you think really caused my Inspire 1 to randomly shoot upward and crash when it should have landed instead?

IMO and without being there, it sounds like you lost the signal between the controller and the aircraft. That happened to me once and the aircraft went into the RTH routine immediately. That is my guess for what its worth.

Why would I lie. Put litchi in VR mode and let your inspire you have been flying since the Wright brothers go into RTH. Then send all of us a screenshot of the dialog box I never got. Anyone here is welcome to try this and determine who’s telling untruths. O yea ... also try and fly your Inspire with an iPhone 3 or whatever android device of your choice and you’ll quickly find out that everyone posting on here is not lying. Just one or more of us. Proof is always in the pudding guys. If you can’t learn from others mistakes... we’ll ... as John Wayne said “If you’re gonna be dumb, you better be tough”. Next I’m sure we’ll hear of how your space shuttle didn’t have an O-ring issue as you flew to mars and saved the whole human race ... with a Samsung Note 4 no less. Please don’t speak and make accusations if you’re not ready to PROVE your point. People on here need folks to help not hurt them.
As I said you can cancel RTH at any moment using the remote Home button. Canceling RTH is not dependent to any app, it's embeded in the remote as a big button staying there for you to use it when needed. Knowing that will save you from troubles like you've had! If you knew that, you'll never blame the app for not being able to cancel the RTH as you have that option in your remote, it's so simple. There are many apps not only litchi and every one have some limitations, that's why it's essential to knwo what you can do without the app because many things could happen like freezing the app or shutting off of the phone/tablet or someone may call you on the phone in that critical moment. I don't have to prove anything, it's written in the manual of the inspire. Read the manual and try to understand it, that's the minimum you need to know to master your equipment and fly safe!

As I said you can cancel RTH at any moment using the remote Home button. Canceling RTH is not dependent to any app, it's embeded in the remote as a big button staying there for you to use it when needed. Knowing that will save you from troubles like you've had! If you knew that, you'll never blame the app for not being able to cancel the RTH as you have that option in your remote, it's so simple. There are many apps not only litchi and every one have some limitations, that's why it's essential to knwo what you can do without the app because many things could happen like freezing the app or shutting off of the phone/tablet or someone may call you on the phone in that critical moment. I don't have to prove anything, it's written in the manual of the inspire. Read the manual and try to understand it, that's the minimum you need to know to master your equipment and fly safe!

You can, unless your controller lost link and then the aircraft reverts to its pre-programmed routine; ie. RTH without the ability to cancel which is why its so important to RTM and understand the aircraft.

You can, unless your controller lost link and then the aircraft reverts to its pre-programmed routine; ie. RTH without the ability to cancel which is why its so important to RTM and understand the aircraft.
No - this can be freely configured for both the signal lost as well as the RTH behaviour.

From Litchi's website:

Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying: This defines the behavior of the aircraft if signal is lost while flying manually, choose between "Hover", "Landing" or "Return To Home".
Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss: When enabled, waypoint missions will end when signal is lost. When that happens, the drone will then execute the failsafe procedure (which can be changed with the "Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying" setting).

So - this means you can easily set the aircraft to NOT return to home if the signal is lost during a waypoint mission but rather hover in place if desired.

No - this can be freely configured for both the signal lost as well as the RTH behaviour.

From Litchi's website:

Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying: This defines the behavior of the aircraft if signal is lost while flying manually, choose between "Hover", "Landing" or "Return To Home".
Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss: When enabled, waypoint missions will end when signal is lost. When that happens, the drone will then execute the failsafe procedure (which can be changed with the "Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying" setting).

So - this means you can easily set the aircraft to NOT return to home if the signal is lost during a waypoint mission but rather hover in place if desired.

My point being it is pre-programmable which is why its important to understand the aircraft. And yes, there are other options you can set for a lost-link event. I fly in controlled airspace exclusively and my event action is always RTH. I have experienced three lost-link events to date and have never re-established the link. I have always had to do a hard boot to solve the problem.

Reactions: The Editor
My point being it is pre-programmable which is why its important to understand the aircraft. And yes, there are other options you can set for a lost-link event. I fly in controlled airspace exclusively and my event action is always RTH. I have experienced three lost-link events to date and have never re-established the link. I have always had to do a hard boot to solve the problem.
Understood

Yeah, seems we both got screwed while using Litchi.
The funny thing is I'm still using it, I'm just not flying anywhere near cement or under canopies.
The big thing for me is ... Litchi gives a disclaimer about how they are not responsible for Bla Bla Bla. I'll repeat it for anyone who didn't get it "Litchi is NOT responsible".

Read the manual. Ok. I hope this will echo in all of the people's heads when some freak accident happens to you and costs you a lot of money and I hope your excuses for an irresponsible company's lack of quality control pays off big time. Always someone there to rub salt in your wounds I guess. Enjoy your Litchi folks.

Hi guys, I am new to this and would like some help.
I was simply trying to help. There may have been 50 different ways to cancel RTH. It may be written in the manual and 1000 other places. It doesn't change the fact that while on the screen I was paying attention to standing 30 feet from my drone with NO signal loss ... I did not have the "Cancel RTH" prompt I had used a couple of times before that day even. Difference was ... When I got a prompt ... I was using DJI software, not Litchi. Anyone flying these knows even with Multiple batteries it seems as if you're always wanting just a few more seconds of flight time. I was being foolish for pushing it. I was brand new to the APP. I ignored all the many many warnings on the web about Litchi and the many crashes it was involved in. None of this changes the fact my Drone was destroyed. None of what's been posted here attacking me or calling me a liar changes how litchi behaves. None of you're telling people Litchi is perfect and the greatest app you have ever used changes the fact Litchi will help in no way, form, or factor when their software IS one of the primary factors in you losing your hard-earned money. What happened to people standing behind their products. All the perfect professionals here on the forum won't send you a dollar when their advice cost's you either. Use any Aftermarket equipment you like. Perhaps the most foolish thing I am guilty of is thinking I could help anyone in these days we are seeing now.

But wasn't the Inspire advertised to fly indoors as well? Because the incident I had was basically like flying indoors and it went crazy.

Just because the manufacturer suggests that the aircraft can perform indoors does not mean that your average person with minimal flight skills should attempt it. The Inspire WILL operate inside. However; P-GPS mode WILL NOT work like it does outside. The pilot should have extensive experience operating the aircraft in manual flight in ATTI mode.
GPS, like a lot of other stuff, is line of sight. If you can't draw an unobstructed line from the sensor to the satellite, your chances of locking up a signal are not good. In an urban or built-up environment, GPS is further confused by multipathing errors and other EMI. When you need technology the most, it fails. Know the technology and the aircraft before playing with the sticks. RT_M

Just because the manufacturer suggests that the aircraft can perform indoors does not mean that your average person with minimal flight skills should attempt it. The Inspire WILL operate inside. However; P-GPS mode WILL NOT work like it does outside. The pilot should have extensive experience operating the aircraft in manual flight in ATTI mode.
GPS, like a lot of other stuff, is line of sight. If you can't draw an unobstructed line from the sensor to the satellite, your chances of locking up a signal are not good. In an urban or built-up environment, GPS is further confused by multipathing errors and other EMI. When you need technology the most, it fails. Know the technology and the aircraft before playing with the sticks. RT_M
You're right, I don't have experience in flying indoors. I will be very careful next time.

Hey Jeff ... Forget Litchi. My iPhone 6 wasn't fast enough so I moved to an iPhone XR and life is grand. Dronedeploy worked best for me programming a precise flight but if you want to try Litchi ... USE with caution and read these posts/warnings carefully. Absolutely try a friend or someone's faster device before using anything. Slow compute will make Litchi slow as well.
Litichi has been rock solid for thousands for 3 or more years now.

No one has mentioned that you can change the radio signal loss function to hover in place, instead of RTH. Might be an option for some people. This is also the required setting for inspecting cell towers, where there is scads of RF interference. You can then walk toward the drone to get a radio signal, perhaps try toggling to ATTI and back. I once was successful in a signal loss situation by restarting the controller, it reconnected right away. YMMV, as they say. You should also fire up DJI GO before flying to check for radio interference.

No one has mentioned that you can change the radio signal loss function to hover in place, instead of RTH. Might be an option for some people. This is also the required setting for inspecting cell towers, where there is scads of RF interference. You can then walk toward the drone to get a radio signal, perhaps try toggling to ATTI and back. I once was successful in a signal loss situation by restarting the controller, it reconnected right away. YMMV, as they say. You should also fire up DJI GO before flying to check for radio interference.
You didn't read my post #25 then?

Hi BigShow,
I too fly the Inspire 1 pro with both DJI Go and Litchi. My experience was very similar to yours with a few exceptions. I too was on a long flight, returning home (manually) after a LOW BATTERY warning, dropped down in altitude to 20 feet, coming in for a landing 10 feet away, but under a large oak tree. Almost to the ground and the Inspire did the same as yours, full speed vertical climb - right into the largest limb of the oak tree. I was stunned watching it crash right in front of me 10 feet up and no controls would stop it - no loss of GPS. After repair DJI said that it had reached the "Critically Low Battery" threshold and automatically initiated RTH!! Of course DJI says this is operator error, but since then you get an audible for both Low and critical thresholds. Do you remember any verbal warnings? Or did you have accidentally turned down the volume on your device?

Just sharing my experience....I now make sure the volumes are turned on full on all my devices...

Hi BigShow,
I too fly the Inspire 1 pro with both DJI Go and Litchi. My experience was very similar to yours with a few exceptions. I too was on a long flight, returning home (manually) after a LOW BATTERY warning, dropped down in altitude to 20 feet, coming in for a landing 10 feet away, but under a large oak tree. Almost to the ground and the Inspire did the same as yours, full speed vertical climb - right into the largest limb of the oak tree. I was stunned watching it crash right in front of me 10 feet up and no controls would stop it - no loss of GPS. After repair DJI said that it had reached the "Critically Low Battery" threshold and automatically initiated RTH!! Of course DJI says this is operator error, but since then you get an audible for both Low and critical thresholds. Do you remember any verbal warnings? Or did you have accidentally turned down the volume on your device?

Just sharing my experience....I now make sure the volumes are turned on full on all my devices...

Even better, don't fly the battery down to bare minimums which force the aircraft into autonomous flight. And set your RTH altitude for the flight profile you are flying. And DJI was right in this case; it was operator error.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen