Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Shoot Stills while recording movie

Reaction score
Since there is two buttons is it possible to shot a still while there is a movie recording.

I assume it's the same as the Phantom and you need to stop recording movie, shoot still, start recording movie.

Yeah not a feature i like... Look at the hero4. Shoots in 4k and takes still every few seconds, so why cant this be integrated in to this camera?

You can always pull stills from the Video. If you are shooting in 4k I imagine the quality would be pretty good.

Richie

I'm an amateur photographer so I prefer largest image size but that is a definite possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I do. I shoot in 4k and pull the stills from that using Premier Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pull stills from QuickTime. Do any of you know what the equivalent shot I get this way versus taking a still? In other words, how many megapixels does it equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A screen grab (grabbing or pulling a still from a video clip) will never be as good quality as a photo taken in camera mode. But if you don't care too much about image quality it is an easy way to do it.

File sizes (depending on various shooting conditions like light, subject, movement etc.) are around:
  • 5MB - JPG
  • 25MB - DNG
  • 10MB - Screengrab
So even if screengrabs (grabbed or pulled from a video clip) are lower quality, they are much bigger in file size than JPG's.

Remember, FILE SIZE, is not equal to PIXEL SIZE.

I pull stills from QuickTime. Do any of you know what the equivalent shot I get this way versus taking a still? In other words, how many megapixels does it equal.

You get the same amount of pixels as the video setting shows. But of a lower quality than the camera produces. PS: remember screengrabs are blurred if there's movement in the subject or camera, so ideally take a grab from a calm scene with the camera steady.

Updated: specified that when talking about "screen grabs", I was referring to grabbing a still from a video clip, not a regular screen grab, since not all got that.

Last edited:
A screen grab will never be as good quality as a photo taken in camera mode. But if you don't care too much about image quality it is an easy way to do it.

File sizes (depending on various shooting conditions like light, subject, movement etc.) are around:
  • 5MB - JPG
  • 25MB - DNG
  • 10MB - Screengrab
So even if screengrabs are lower quality, they are much bigger in file size than JPG's.

Remember, FILE SIZE, is not equal to PIXEL SIZE.

You get the same amount of pixels as the video setting shows. But of a lower quality than the camera produces. PS: remember screengrabs are blurred if there's movement in the subject or camera, so ideally take a grab from a calm scene with the camera steady.
Screen grabs and "pulling a still" are VERY different. One grabs the image you have on your monitor and the other captures a single frame

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido