Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Show Me The 'REAL' Money...:-)!!!

Monetization of drones? You've touched on some ways to make money. Aerial platforms used to shoot video is a supplement to video shot from ground level. 20 second B-clips are good for marketing departments, editorial needs. Stills, depends on the market. The energy industry loves stills with various appearances...just a start. Sell your self (your creative side) and your services, and don't shoot for the bottom on pricing. SNOT ALERT: don't let amateurs dictate professional media pricing. Separate professionals from amateurs looking for beer money and as to WHY you should be hired beyond just taking a picture. There is a difference between a picture vs a photography. Professionals take photos.

Another point: professionals have liability insurance. Crash your drone into someone else's property, you're liable for damages. Worse, if someone is injured or killed. Just sayin.
D,
You are right about being a pro and not bottom feeding. Also about the insurance. I am insured 24/7 as long as I follow all safety, FAA, etc. procedures. Another good point. People hire YOU, not just a "drone". Being a pro shows up in more ways than just flight time, lol.

Although I started this thread hoping for innovative ideas sharing among veteran and professional done operators, as well as encouragement for newbies, I think several have really hit the nail on the head with the REAL way to make money. Quite simply...

BE A PROFESSIONAL

In my own career (M.Ac.Eng - mix eng. Nashville, TN - Photog and multimedia business owner, Tx) I have noticed that when something new and innovative comes along there is a huge influx of what we in Texas call "Band Wagoneers", lol. People who go out and buy equipment, and try to jump on the money train.

After awhile though, about 90% will be complaining that the market is "saturated" and the economy isn't right for whatever it is they are trying to do....and they sell their equipment (usually cheap and online, check eBay y'all, lol) and go on to the next "idea".

Meanwhile there are about 10% that remain, weather the storm, gain a great market reputation, and actually make good $$$ at what everybody else tried and failed at. These are dedicated pros who took time to learn the industry, equipment, and processes from the ground up. They remain making good $$$ while the rest say it can't be done.

I actually think that's what will happen with this industry. We KNOW that equipment will get more complex, powerful, innovative, and intricate with time. This, cost, and simple lack of dedication will cause the band wagoneers to go on to the next thing.

I happen to know a lot about hog hunting in Texas. This allows me to save a lot of time "searching", etc, even with a drone. I act as sort of a hunting guide for these guys. Although I have only done 2 jobs, there seems to be some traction.

Could anyone go out and be a hunting guide for feral hogs. Not easily. A person might get lucky and find them with his $10K rig, but just having a FLIR cam isn't all there is to it. You have to understand habitat, migrative states, feeding patterns, mating and birthing seasons, weather effect, and a few other things to be good at it.

So I agree with the fact that professionalism is the way to the REAL money. And I am not afraid to share my idea because, as several have already pointed out, only the pros will last. I just hope that the pros keep thinking outside the box so that those who make the grade, can find and achieve their share of new and innovative projects, jobs, and yes industry $$$,

UPDATE: I started the $500 job this afternoon. Used up all 4 batteries, lol. Got paid half. The other half tomorrow. So this may be an "old" idea, but where I am in Texas, it MIGHT make some fun $$$.

In Texas, we have a problem with feral hogs. Almost every farmer, rancher, or rural property owner of any size close to tall grass or wooded areas has to (5+ acres) has to deal with them. I was raised in Texas farmlands, and know a lot about this issue. A sow hog with young has no problem attacking a human in "defense" of her offspring. They are dangerous, and seriously destructive! They run in packs usually and can cause literally several thousand dollars in property damage in a very short time.

The law in Texas right now allows rural property owners to harvest (no bag limit) these animals in order to control population and to minimize property destruction. Hog hunting is literally a sport hunt in most areas of Texas. Guys use 4-wheelers, and automatic rifles to harvest the hogs. Many people process and eat the meat. There's only one problem with hog hunting. The hogs like to take cover in deep thickets and under tree canopies when they are hunted. They are both hard to find and dangerous to track into the brush....

Enter the FLIR capable drone...

I found those hogs time and again today without the farmer having to go into the brush to look for them. Knowing where the hogs are allows one of the hunters to get on one side and make a lot of noise, driving the game to the waiting hunters. There are several other ways to flush them out, but finding them reduces the possibility of an all day "hunt" with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. The farmer was really happy, and invited a couple of his farmer friends over to see how it all works. Who knows, maybe I can make enough to recoup my FLIR Vue Pro, lol.

I know that this also takes a knowledge of feral hog habits, but hey, it seems to work. Anyway, that's my "out of the box" idea for making a little $$$. I wanted to share it with those who might be interested.

Fly on! K

PS: We used my Kubota UTV to station close to the known areas the hogs were in. I launched/landed out of the dump bed of the UAV. Worked fine for me. Cheers! K

What flir camera do you use for this work?

I have a FLIR Vue Pro. It works VERY well for the things I am attempting, although, as I get into thermography, I am already seeing the need for the Vue Pro with Radiometry. However, I think I've spent all the money my wife (i.e. the boss) will let me spend for now. I will just have to wait for the REAL need to arise in order to justify it, lol. Here is the link to the camera I use. It has some impressive specs for the $$$, and I can recommend it for what I do especially.

FLIR Vue™ Pro Thermal Camera for sUAS | FLIR Systems

Cheers,
Kevin

PS: I don't get a kickback for the recommendation. I just really like this unit. NOT a salesman for them. I like owning my own business (which means you work twice the hours for half the pay, lol)

UPDATE: I started the $500 job this afternoon. Used up all 4 batteries, lol. Got paid half. The other half tomorrow. So this may be an "old" idea, but where I am in Texas, it MIGHT make some fun $$$.

In Texas, we have a problem with feral hogs. Almost every farmer, rancher, or rural property owner of any size close to tall grass or wooded areas has to (5+ acres) has to deal with them. I was raised in Texas farmlands, and know a lot about this issue. A sow hog with young has no problem attacking a human in "defense" of her offspring. They are dangerous, and seriously destructive! They run in packs usually and can cause literally several thousand dollars in property damage in a very short time.

The law in Texas right now allows rural property owners to harvest (no bag limit) these animals in order to control population and to minimize property destruction. Hog hunting is literally a sport hunt in most areas of Texas. Guys use 4-wheelers, and automatic rifles to harvest the hogs. Many people process and eat the meat. There's only one problem with hog hunting. The hogs like to take cover in deep thickets and under tree canopies when they are hunted. They are both hard to find and dangerous to track into the brush....

Enter the FLIR capable drone...

I found those hogs time and again today without the farmer having to go into the brush to look for them. Knowing where the hogs are allows one of the hunters to get on one side and make a lot of noise, driving the game to the waiting hunters. There are several other ways to flush them out, but finding them reduces the possibility of an all day "hunt" with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. The farmer was really happy, and invited a couple of his farmer friends over to see how it all works. Who knows, maybe I can make enough to recoup my FLIR Vue Pro, lol.

I know that this also takes a knowledge of feral hog habits, but hey, it seems to work. Anyway, that's my "out of the box" idea for making a little $$$. I wanted to share it with those who might be interested.

Fly on! K

PS: We used my Kubota UTV to station close to the known areas the hogs were in. I launched/landed out of the dump bed of the UAV. Worked fine for me. Cheers! K
The local newspaper here in Longview, Texas has done several stories on the feral hog problem. If you are doing something innovative like using your drone to help farmers eliminate them, perhaps your local paper might want to do a story on it. That's good, FREE publicity and might bring in additional paid work for you if readers see you are a certified pilot with good equipment. This would be true for any interesting or unusual use of a drone. You might not get a full story but at the very least, you could get a photo with caption and that's still free publicity. Plus, it may well end up on their website and a news story gives you credibility you can promote yourself.

I read somewhere else a suggestion that you offer your drone flying services free-of-charge to the local fire and police departments for training, maybe even the parks & rec dept if your city has one.Then ask them to spread the word that you did it for them for free. You might get formal recognition from the mayor and city council for serving your town. That "good will" gesture might get you paid work from a citizen that appreciates that you support your community, especially, again, if they know you are certified and operate professional quality equipment.

The local newspaper here in Longview, Texas has done several stories on the feral hog problem. If you are doing something innovative like using your drone to help farmers eliminate them, perhaps your local paper might want to do a story on it. That's good, FREE publicity and might bring in additional paid work for you if readers see you are a certified pilot with good equipment. This would be true for any interesting or unusual use of a drone. You might not get a full story but at the very least, you could get a photo with caption and that's still free publicity. Plus, it may well end up on their website and a news story gives you credibility you can promote yourself.

I read somewhere else a suggestion that you offer your drone flying services free-of-charge to the local fire and police departments for training, maybe even the parks & rec dept if your city has one.Then ask them to spread the word that you did it for them for free. You might get formal recognition from the mayor and city council for serving your town. That "good will" gesture might get you paid work from a citizen that appreciates that you support your community, especially, again, if they know you are certified and operate professional quality equipment.
Dave, that is a GREAT idea! I want to add to this. I have owned 5 fairly successful businesses in my lifetime as a "serial entrepreneur", lol. Each of those 5 I started for under $10K. Some of the BEST advertising I ever got was from papers doing a story on my business! I really like the idea of the Fire/Police angle. I was T.C.L.E.O.S.E. certified (small town police mostly, lol) for several years. I have a lot of friends in the community.

I had planned on going to the local Volunteer Fire Dept. here in my area, and offering help in SAR with my FLIR setup. I really hadn't thought about training them on it. I am pretty sure that the local paper in a town about 16 miles from me would do a story on the feral hog help. That town is about 50,000 in population, with about an 80,000 circulated readership. Great ideas. Thanks so much for suggesting it.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Reactions: William Gaddy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drbhutaniclinic