Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Smart Power Charge Prop Guards Review

I have them for exactly the same reasons. They are good value for my use and certainly not a 'waist'
I totally agree - there is no waisting of money in those, i am waiting for mine to arrive on friday, and i honestly think its a good investment compared to the price of the Inspire 1. Thou the transportation price is a bit spicey to the EU :/

Reactions: Scotflieger
interesting how many people on this topic are all hot to trot getting a set of these. do guys bump into stuff that much?

first, they look bad and only accomplish making the best looking quad copter look like a 200 dollar toy. second, once someone approaches you asking about the inspire, how much it costs and how big it is, will they not also ask "you bump into stuff that much?"

3rd, you bump into stuff that much?

I've never bumped nor am I hot trotting.

Looking bad is in the eye of the beholder. I could not care less about looks, its about getting jobs done safely and with my insurance excess intact. When you have a responsibility to protect a clients roof, cables, satellite dishes etc these precautions reduce the risk. When doing roof inspections its more 2kph or less and hover.

Its not an everyday use asessory for me...unless you are doing close proximity work everyday that is.

At the end of the day I am happy I have taken steps to protect my investment, my insurance and the clients property. The client gets his survey results and I get to go to the bank.

I hope this explains one specific use and their value a little more.

How do they hold up in the descent of the inspire? When they came out for the phantom, people seemed to have problems when descending as they created drag and often flipped and crashed the quad in faster descent speeds.The inspire is heavier so maybe not an issue?

In my country, regulatios to get a license have two basic requeriments, a parachute and bumpers for the props, so I think is not a waist of money.
Also it helps you to get a quick idea to a safe distance in tight scenarios. Without props I have no idea of the reach of the spining blades at first glance, of course experience gives you that but is always a welcome help.

Needless to say, I will buy a set.

In my country, regulatios to get a license have two basic requeriments, a parachute and bumpers for the props, so I think is not a waist of money.
Also it helps you to get a quick idea to a safe distance in tight scenarios. Without props I have no idea of the reach of the spining blades at first glance, of course experience gives you that but is always a welcome help.

Needless to say, I will buy a set.
At the end of the day.... it is up to the members of this forum to decide if they want to invest in this product.... i am giving my opinion based on over 900 hours flying UAV's... and over 150 hours flying the Inspire.... to me these prop guards are a waist of money... they do little to protect the Inspire, and just add weight and drag to a fantastic UAV... but... if it makes you feel more secure to have them... go for it...

At the end of the day.... it is up to the members of this forum to decide if they want to invest in this product.... i am giving my opinion based on over 900 hours flying UAV's... and over 150 hours flying the Inspire.... to me these prop guards are a waist of money... they do little to protect the Inspire, and just add weight and drag to a fantastic UAV... but... if it makes you feel more secure to have them... go for it...
Steve, you of course are intitled to your opinion which you have stated several times now. There are several good arguement posts here, including at least 2 certified commercial UAV pilots, for having them. None of which states or deserves your belittling superior attitude comment "if it makes you more secure"

No doubt you will continue to verge on the troll path on this.

Reactions: Aviator
Steve, you of course are intitled to your opinion which you have stated several times now. There are several good arguement posts here, including at least 2 certified commercial UAV pilots, for having them. None of which states or deserves your belittling superior attitude comment "if it makes you more secure"

No doubt you will continue to verge on the troll path on this.
Being certified does not necessarily make a good pilot... that comes with time spent flying.... and practice... and more practice... thank you for letting me have my point of view... as i do you...but... i don't call you a troll because of it.... oh by the way... i am certified to ....

Being certified does not necessarily make a good pilot... that comes with time spent flying.... and practice... and more practice... thank you for letting me have my point of view... as i do you...but... i don't call you a troll because of it.... oh by the way... i am certified to ....
Your welcome. You just go on a bit about your point with a touch of superior attitude.

Yes, I suspected that you had been certified..

I've never bumped nor am I hot trotting.

Looking bad is in the eye of the beholder. I could not care less about looks, its about getting jobs done safely and with my insurance excess intact. When you have a responsibility to protect a clients roof, cables, satellite dishes etc these precautions reduce the risk. When doing roof inspections its more 2kph or less and hover.

Its not an everyday use asessory for me...unless you are doing close proximity work everyday that is.

At the end of the day I am happy I have taken steps to protect my investment, my insurance and the clients property. The client gets his survey results and I get to go to the bank.

I hope this explains one specific use and their value a little more.
Never mind Irish, Some people don't (and probably will never) seem to get that there's also something as a non-recreational perspective.

I'm ordering them asap as well.

Well - apart from looks and (maybe) the inability to protect the propellers at high speed, there is a definate safety benefit by using the prop protectors. Imagine hitting somebody during a landing or a fly-away. Chances for not being chopped by the fast-rotating propellers are much higher, if the protectors are on. I have myself felt how deep the tip of the propellers cut into a hand (drone was trying to go into my wall in about 1 m. height, and my reflex was to grab hold of what I thought was the landing gear - ouch...).

So I would say - if there's mpeople around - and especially children who are "nosy" - keep those choppers protected!

Just my 5 ....

Well - apart from looks and (maybe) the inability to protect the propellers at high speed, there is a definate safety benefit by using the prop protectors. Imagine hitting somebody during a landing or a fly-away. Chances for not being chopped by the fast-rotating propellers are much higher, if the protectors are on. I have myself felt how deep the tip of the propellers cut into a hand (drone was trying to go into my wall in about 1 m. height, and my reflex was to grab hold of what I thought was the landing gear - ouch...).

So I would say - if there's mpeople around - and especially children who are "nosy" - keep those choppers protected!

Just my 5 ....

I agree...these are great...I have bumped into objects and these have saved me from crashing. I did not notice a real performance limitation using them. However, I now have the X5 on my Inspire and have taken the guards off...just because I'm not sure how they will work with the extra weight of the X5. I don't think these give a sense of false security...when I fly, I am always flying with as sense of caution. Anyone have experience with these guards used with the X5?

Exactly the same issue "good or bad, use it or loose it" applies to my floating device I'm recently trying to develop for my personal use (see "Inspire The Pond Skater" post). Any modification, any extra payload installed on Inspire will sacrifice it's flying performance and range. You install them to perform a particular task (taking applied limitations into consideration), and uninstall immediately after. Simply like that.

I have a set here that I haven't mounted yet. I plan to use them occasionally -- usually in conjunction with the 45mm lens for tight hovers while doing inspections.

Expecting the things to fend off an obstacle hit at speed is ridiculous -- it's like expecting car bumpers to protect you at highways speeds.

Scotflieger, I've noticed some strings or wires attached to these guards. What's the purpose of this modification? To damp some vibrations perhaps, I'm guessing?
Would add some strength and stability by connecting all 4 Id think and avoids getting tangled up in obstacles maybe. For close-up work and indoors, why wouldn't you? Gonna go look at your floats, being a guy who's over the water a lot. I think it's all relative and a matter of risk evaluation, performance and specific needs of the user.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leightonfineart