Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

So, we're all grounded.

Reaction score
DJI post on rcgroups:

Propeller Locks

The Inspire 1’s propellers may come off during flight if they are not correctly hand tightened and environmental factors (including sand, heavy dust, or high winds) cause the motors slow down suddenly. To prevent this, DJI is offering free Propeller Locks to all Inspire 1 customers.

If you ordered your Inspire 1 from the DJI Online Store, they will automatically be shipped to you. If you purchased your Inspire 1 at an authorized DJI dealer, you can collect them there. These Propeller Locks will become available next week, and DJI recommends that you do not attempt flying your Inspire 1 before receiving and attaching the Propeller Locks.

So, grounded until they are available. Great.

DJI post on rcgroups:

Propeller Locks

The Inspire 1’s propellers may come off during flight if they are not correctly hand tightened and environmental factors (including sand, heavy dust, or high winds) cause the motors slow down suddenly. To prevent this, DJI is offering free Propeller Locks to all Inspire 1 customers.

If you ordered your Inspire 1 from the DJI Online Store, they will automatically be shipped to you. If you purchased your Inspire 1 at an authorized DJI dealer, you can collect them there. These Propeller Locks will become available next week, and DJI recommends that you do not attempt flying your Inspire 1 before receiving and attaching the Propeller Locks.

Is there a documented case of this happening or is it purely precautionary?

There was a couple discussed in the rcgroups thread. I can't locate them now though because the thread is so unwieldy.

I never liked rcgroups' way of handling threads.

But that's not the only thing. That IMU firmware bug (which has been covered here multiple times) is also part of an advisory they've sent to dealers to keep it grounded. (Edit: Which is now available, it seems)

Anyone know what these 'prop locks' consist of?

Last edited:
Has DJI officially stated that this is an issue? I have not seen anything from them or from my dealer?

DJI post on rcgroups:

Propeller Locks

Just an FYI -

I contacted B&H, where I made my purchase. They were not aware of anything at this point. But they asked me to send a PDF of the letter from DJI and that they would then look into the issue. It's obviously very early so I'm not surprised they don't have the info yet.

So, I'm sending a PDF of the letter I've found here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I will contact UAV Direct...but why are we (the consumers) doing this...if this really is a big issue...propellers falling off sounds big to me....why is not DJI taking the lead on this? I don't want to hear that this is a "cultural thing." What the hell?

DJI are taking the lead on this. They are sending them out to all customers who bought direct, and then sending to all dealers who will in turn send out to their customers. What more do you want DJI to do?

Thanks for the info...I will contact UAV Direct...but why are we (the consumers) doing this...if this really is a big issue...propellers falling off sounds big to me....why is not DJI taking the lead on this? I don't want to hear that this is a "cultural thing." What the hell?
In principle, you are correct that they should take the lead. And they probably will, eventually. But I figure DJI is only one of a gazillion manufacturers B&H deals with - I might as well send them something. Maybe it will help the company to send it out earlier, which helps me (and others).

In the email I received from dji I was told that the prop locks are being sent automatically. To me that sounds like dji IS taking the reigns on the situation.

This happens to one of my phantoms once. Was flying and doing some quick maneuvers playing around with my "modified" phantom. All of a sudden it was falling out of the sky and I saw a prop floating down next to it. I guess since the props are self tightening that would make them self-un tightening as well. If a motor stops fast enough, especially with these larger props, the momentum may keep the prop spinning and then that's it.

That's great, but what about those of us who have not purchased directly from DJI? Do we get these prop locks? Thanks

Yes you do. As I said 4 posts ago, DJI are sending them to dealers. It's up to the dealers to then send them to you as you are a customer of the dealer, not of DJI. DJI don't have your address or anything if you didn't buy from them.

And that is why B&H knew nothing about this? Whatever.
Why are you being combative towards others who are just trying to help and put things in perspective?

If you read the quote from the post:
"If you purchased your Inspire 1 at an authorized DJI dealer, you can collect them there. These Propeller Locks will become available next week"

Presumably DJI sent these notices to dealers, as well, but as @BaldEagle said, each dealer isn't going to be up-to-the-minute aware of every move DJI makes. It's extremely likely that DJI sent this notification out to users before notifying any dealers.

Why are you being combative towards others who are just trying to help and put things in perspective?

If you read the quote from the post:
"If you purchased your Inspire 1 at an authorized DJI dealer, you can collect them there. These Propeller Locks will become available next week"

Presumably DJI sent these notices to dealers, as well, but as @BaldEagle said, each dealer isn't going to be up-to-the-minute aware of every move DJI makes. It's extremely likely that DJI sent this notification out to users before notifying any dealers.
To your point, Morgon - B&H just sent me an email:
Dear

It has come to our attention that there’s an issue with the DJI Inspire 1 Quadcopter regarding altitude drift. DJI is currently testing a firmware update correcting this issue. Please do not fly your Inspire 1 Quadcopter until the firmware is updated. We will update you as soon as possible once the firmware is fully tested and released.

We regret your dissatisfaction and we’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Your Customer Service team at B&H

[email protected]

800-221-5743, 212-239-7765

While they do not mention the prop issue yet, it does seem like DJI is working through its distributors to get information out and that this distributor is doing what it can do. I cannot imagine how many of these types of notices an electronics company might get...!

Reactions: carlos najera
Sorry...did not mean to be combative...my apologies...just freaking out, I guess. Will calm down. Thanks for reminding me this is a forum that is comprised of users helping one another.

I received a similar email from my dealer and it says to update the firmware and do not fly your inspire one. It also says we'll be receiving propeller locks next week.

What a farce! I smell a return coming on. Wonder what I'll do with the $5k+ I'll get back (Inspire + loads of accessories).

I contacted my dealer...UAV Direct in Texas...they got back to me right away about this issue, saying that there is new firmware available...sent me the link. They also addressed the prop lock issue that has surfaced. I'm still very encouraged by the footage I'm seeing. We need to do an IMU calibration as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry