Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

So what is the best % for batteries?

Yt2

Reaction score
Let's make this simple. What is the best % age to set for low battery and critical low battery in the pilot app?
The percentage and the reason behind why you choose this figure would be helpful for us newbies.
Cheers Yt2...

If you are a newbie I would definately keep it as it was set by the factory which is 30% low and 20% critical

Let's make this simple. What is the best % age to set for low battery and critical low battery in the pilot app?
The percentage and the reason behind why you choose this figure would be helpful for us newbies.
Cheers Yt2...
OK, personally I do not want my craft self landing itself when I do not expect it. If your Lipo is aging slightly, or has not been looked after or not calibrated properly it is entirely possible that the voltage can drop quickly from high 20's to 20% quite rapidly. The Inspire could then initiate self land..... I don't want that. I would rather risk destroying a battery pack by over discharge than risk the whole Inspire. Therefore, I set my critical at 10% (as low as you can get it). I never intend to go there but it is far enough down the discharge curve I do not have to worry.
My low battery I have at 28%. The reasoning being I am always keeping an eye on my battery levels in any case and would never be far away once at 30%. Setting at 28% gives me between 90 seconds and two minutes of maneuvering and hover time before I land at 20%.
The above practice gives me
1. A warning when I still have two mins of flight time
2. An audible warning should I ever need it
3. A critical voltage set low enough that I can still bring the craft into land without worrying about auto land or auto RTH.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
OK, personally I do not want my craft self landing itself when I do not expect it. If your Lipo is aging slightly, or has not been looked after or not calibrated properly it is entirely possible that the voltage can drop quickly from high 20's to 20% quite rapidly. The Inspire could then initiate self land..... I don't want that. I would rather risk destroying a battery pack by over discharge than risk the whole Inspire. Therefore, I set my critical at 10% (as low as you can get it). I never intend to go there but it is far enough down the discharge curve I do not have to worry.
My low battery I have at 28%. The reasoning being I am always keeping an eye on my battery levels in any case and would never be far away once at 30%. Setting at 28% gives me between 90 seconds and two minutes of maneuvering and hover time before I land at 20%.
3. A critical voltage set low enough that I can still bring the craft into land without worrying about auto land or auto RTH.

Hope that helps.
Agreed. Like the auto take off/landing feature the critical landing voltage automatic landing feature should not be necessary if you put it down with reasonable safety margins.

Agreed. Like the auto take off/landing feature the critical landing voltage automatic landing feature should not be necessary if you put it down with reasonable safety margins.
Totally agree.
Unfortunately there are people out there flying until critical or just trying to squeeze a few seconds more flight time until the Inspire auto lands.
I can see DJI's reasoning in putting the auto land feature in there so as to stop the craft dropping like a stone where people are stupid enough to fly until LVC kicks in.

Reactions: CaptainBadge

Hope that helps.

Yea that makes a lot of sense, I think I may actually change my critical to 10% because like u said I would not want mine landing it self

Hope that helps.

I have had a misfortunate event when I let my Inspire 1 go to the default return home trigger and it was under a tree at the time, needless to say it hit the tree when gaining altitude. I was very lucky that damage was minimum when it fell to the ground. 2 props damaged, camera off and the
FAST-MOUNTING GIMBAL PORT CABLE - PART 17 was pulled at contact points. I removed the gimbal plate and managed to fix this cable, although I have a spare that I ordered here incase it stops working.
So every time I fly, I'm very nervous about return home feature, I have set the altitude to 20 metres so it can reach decent altitude to be clear of most obstacles now, however my question is...
When this feature kicks in, what route does the Inspire 1 take?
the fastest route to take off point? or the route it traveled to get there?

All guidance is greatly appreciated.

I have had a misfortunate event when I let my Inspire 1 go to the default return home trigger and it was under a tree at the time, needless to say it hit the tree when gaining altitude. I was very lucky that damage was minimum when it fell to the ground. 2 props damaged, camera off and the
FAST-MOUNTING GIMBAL PORT CABLE - PART 17 was pulled at contact points. I removed the gimbal plate and managed to fix this cable, although I have a spare that I ordered here incase it stops working.
So every time I fly, I'm very nervous about return home feature, I have set the altitude to 20 metres so it can reach decent altitude to be clear of most obstacles now, however my question is...
When this feature kicks in, what route does the Inspire 1 take?
the fastest route to take off point? or the route it traveled to get there?

All guidance is greatly appreciated.
Straight line to home. Also, the accent to RTH height can be stopped by using the throttle stick (although this is likely to be removed in the next FW).
The return home capacity is dynamic depending on how far away from home you are (you will see it altering as you fly). If you are 500m away from home point the auto RTH will be further out in the discharge line than if you are 10m away since the Inspire knows it needs a certain amount of battery to RTH depending on distance.

Straight line to home. Also, the accent to RTH height can be stopped by using the throttle stick (although this is likely to be removed in the next FW).
The return home capacity is dynamic depending on how far away from home you are (you will see it altering as you fly). If you are 500m away from home point the auto RTH will be further out in the discharge line than if you are 10m away since the Inspire knows it needs a certain amount of battery to RTH depending on distance.

are there

Thank you very much for guidance, can I ask have you had any bad incidents with RTH feature or any other pilots?

Regards, Harry

are there

Thank you very much for guidance, can I ask have you had any bad incidents with RTH feature or any other pilots?

Regards, Harry
Never use(d) it. Well, did activate it once via TX to ensure operation but I never rely on it or want to use it.
For me it is a failsafe feature that I never intend to use but goes into my ops manual for CAA certification.
Same way as I have and never will use auto take off or land.

Thanks all for your replies especially "The Editor". What was written makes good sense and was exactly the type of information I was look for. Sharing knowledge and experience within this forum helps keep us all safe from issues that can give drones a bad name.
I would love to hear the official reason from DJI why they picked those numbers. Could be fascinating reading to be politically correct.
For the record I had set mine to 30% & 15, but the were just numbers and had no science behind them. I will confidently change then now. Thanks again all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Nicholson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84