Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Spotlight Pro Mode

Reaction score
After 2 years with the I1, I have enjoyed learning the major improvements the I2 offers. I tried the Spotlight Pro Mode (Quick Mode, as opposed to Composition Mode) and posted a brief video on Vimeo.
My thoughts are as follows:
  • overall the tracking of the subject was impressive for both manitaining a fix and "recognising" a changeing shape that also shrank in size
  • its a different mind set to fly with the FPV camera while the main camera looks elsewhere
  • I was surprised and delighted when the aircraft did a 360 degree flip when the gimbal reached its movement limit, something I was aware of with gimbal yawing but not with Spotlight Pro.
Enjoy. Any comments would be appreciated (video entirely as shot, without colour correction etc.)

I have not had a chance to use the Spotlight feature yet, but I notice in your video that in some instances the I2 seems quite far from the subject. So during the video the I2 only lost tracking 1 time?

Reactions: cvanhoose
Hi David,

Did you select the cart at 2/3 right on your tablet or was it centered when you made your selection?

In my limited testing of spotlight, I think it's pretty crazy how it recognizes what it's tracking, This video starts with the original angle that I "tracked" the soccer net. As you forward to the later shots, 10 mins later, we're now looking at an incredible complex foreground/background and an object that no longer resembles the original track, at least in my mind, yet the I2 never lost tracking once.

Reactions: NW Elevated Imaging
Nice video, yea its trip and it throws you off for a second when it spins back around to recenter the gimbal. What's most impressive is how fast it turns around without moving the camera. You'd think you would see some in-stabilization during the movement but hardly any. I'm very pleased with it overall.

Spotlight Pro is pretty impressive - even to the point of continuing the tracking movement when the object is blocked visually from the camera.

I've set up a tracking point while up a height in the air, then descended and flown behind a barn and it's pretty much still kep the track once back up a height & clear of the obstruction. In another test I set it to spotlight a barn door, then circled the buildings, overflew them and then pulled back, and it's pretty much stayed on the point even when it's completely out of sight.

I think they must be doing some pretty nifty trig calculations coupled with trying to figure out the follow focus point depth in the z-axis from the height, angle and size of the box you draw. It certainly doesn't need visual contact with the 'subject' at all times like the active track modes do. It's an impressive mix of aircraft, gimbal, and tablet!

I have not had a chance to use the Spotlight feature yet, but I notice in your video that in some instances the I2 seems quite far from the subject. So during the video the I2 only lost tracking 1 time?
Aviscomi
Thanks for the comment. I did not think the I2 ever lost tracking. It did "re position" the golf cart on the screen slightly but never really lost it. Putting a circle on the screen highlights very slight changes in angle of where the camera is looking. If you see any "follow me" videos and hold your finger on the screen where the subject is, you will notice the re positioning. Without the circle, the human brain doesn't really recognize such changes in screen position.

Hi David,

Did you select the cart at 2/3 right on your tablet or was it centered when you made your selection?
Yes. For no particular reason I followed the "rule of thirds". It would be interesting to see how well it did towards the sides of the field of view. However the closer to the middle of the field of view, the less of a fixed reference point there is. Thanks for the query.

Yes. For no particular reason I followed the "rule of thirds". It would be interesting to see how well it did towards the sides of the field of view. However the closer to the middle of the field of view, the less of a fixed reference point there is. Thanks for the query.
Looks like i did a terrific job (both vids).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc