Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Strange sound from back motors

Reaction score
Hi, after i did firmware update (is not related) i just did a quick overall check of my I1 and i notice both of my back motors did a strange sound when i turn them and sometimes they get stuck.

Did someone else had this?
What you may recommend to do? some kind of maintenance or just replace them?

Hi, after i did firmware update (is not related) i just did a quick overall check of my I1 and i notice both of my back motors did a strange sound when i turn them and sometimes they get stuck.

Did someone else had this?
What you may recommend to do? some kind of maintenance or just replace them?
DO NOT fly that Inspire!
The motors should turn freely and silently (with the exception of the magnetic force holding the bell housing still between magnets)
Although difficult to diagnose from the armchair it looks/sounds as though you have loose magnets inside the motor that have come away from their binding.
If your motor seizes in flight it will mean instant crash.
Has your Inspire been involved in ANY crash at sometime previously however small?

DO NOT fly that Inspire!
The motors should turn freely and silently (with the exception of the magnetic force holding the bell housing still between magnets)
Although difficult to diagnose from the armchair it looks/sounds as though you have loose magnets inside the motor that have come away from their binding.
If your motor seizes in flight it will mean instant crash.
Has your Inspire been involved in ANY crash at sometime previously however small?

not at all

i just arm the motors (without the propellers) to see (to hear) how it sounds, and it sounds just disappeared, i acelerated a bit (maybe 10%), no sound, i stopped the motors and turn them manually (as the video) and the sound just disappeared

not at all

i just arm the motors (without the propellers) to see (to hear) how it sounds, and it sounds just disappeared, i acelerated a bit (maybe 10%), no sound, i stopped the motors and turn them manually (as the video) and the sound just disappeared
Replace the motors (or bearings if it is those that have worn)
Stay grounded until you can diagnose what causes the motor binding.

Reactions: tuxevil
bad luck,
there was no accident that caused this? whats the abient temp that you normally fly in? humidity etc? It seems very strange that both rear motors would fail at around the same time unless there was some factor that caused it,

you didnt drop it or land it hard did you ?

bad luck,
there was no accident that caused this? whats the abient temp that you normally fly in? humidity etc? It seems very strange that both rear motors would fail at around the same time unless there was some factor that caused it,

you didnt drop it or land it hard did you ?
In fact i had a hard landing But nothing terrible, just to windy
But i will not take any risk and just replace the motors

I wouldnt even consider flying those motors,

if you feel comfortable, and are going to repair it yourself, then maybe you could take the motors off now and open them up so that we can see what has happened. My guess is a loose magnet inside, or some debris.

unless you are sending it to DJI under warrenty it wont make any difference, but I understand the concern.

De todas formas, no le vas a poder volar hasta tenerlo reparado....... yo lo abriria....

the strange is that my hard landing was in the 2 day of travel, in my 3rd location been specifically, but after that i flight 15 more times (5 locations x 3 batteries) and luckly nothing happened.
for people outside USA (is ecuatorian music, with copyright)

for USA people (with free youtube music)

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
lol, stupid question, i just saw e800 system includes 3510 motors, forget it

lol, stupid question, i just saw e800 system includes 3510 motors, forget it
Yes the Inspire uses 3510/KV350 motors. In theory you can use any 3510/350 but it wont fit the Inspire - nor will the e800's.
The lug mounting on the Inspire motors is different.

If you are not familiar with working on multirotors you really should send your AC in to be fixed.
The Inspire motors are soldered, not plugable, so you will have to be handy with a soldering iron as well, then re-shrink wrap the cables. The color coding may also not be the same so your motor may spin in the wrong direction in which case you will need to swap any two of the three cables around.

Ya, I wouldn't have any issues with it if it wasn't for that metallic clinking sound. Something is definitely loose or rubbing wrong in there.

Yes the Inspire uses 3510/KV350 motors. In theory you can use any 3510/350 but it wont fit the Inspire - nor will the e800's.
The lug mounting on the Inspire motors is different.

If you are not familiar with working on multirotors you really should send your AC in to be fixed.
The Inspire motors are soldered, not plugable, so you will have to be handy with a soldering iron as well, then re-shrink wrap the cables. The color coding may also not be the same so your motor may spin in the wrong direction in which case you will need to swap any two of the three cables around.
the problem is my provider(from colombia) told us the warranty is directly from dji china, and it would be a little expensive and it may takes veeery long time

i just bought a compressed air can, and i will try to "clean" the motor, using masking tape or something like that aroung the air vents to "catch" what ever its inside.

is there some easy way to at least, open the motor?

the problem is my provider(from colombia) told us the warranty is directly from dji china, and it would be a little expensive and it may takes veeery long time

i just bought a compressed air can, and i will try to "clean" the motor, using masking tape or something like that aroung the air vents to "catch" what ever its inside.

is there some easy way to at least, open the motor?
Yes there are 4x 2mm bolts 2 on each side of motor.Remove and set aside.
Lift motor off but only enough to get underneath motor to remove small c clip and washer located underneath motor then set aside small c clip and washer.
Now pull off top of motor body it will be hard due to magnetic force.
Once removed check inside and around edges to make sure all magnets are still fixed in place.
If so its not your magnets!!
The motor is still attached to wiring etc and cannot be fully removed further without more technical knowledge but you can now hopefully blast compressed air not only at the top of the motor but underneath which should have a better chance of getting any foreign bodies out.
To reassemble just replace top of motor body carefully it will have a strong magnetic force pulling it shut.
Then replace washer,c clip and 4x 2mm bolts either side.
Quite easy when you see it done and it will save you lengthy delays sending your a/c back to DJI especially if it is only foreign bodies/debris.
Hopefully I have described it well enough to give you confidence in doing this little strip down
This limited strip will give you confidence if its safe to fly or it is indeed a RMA.
HTH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry